Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid fuel mileage

SoSoCal verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) DuTTch's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Hybrid fuel mileage

Hybrid this hybrid that, are these cars really getting that good gas mileage? If they are using e85 in that mix for stating that they get 42 miles to the gallon for example, I know for a fact that im getting about 40% less miles per gallon on that stuff. so if a gallon of e85 is $3.00 and lets say it takes 30% more e85 every gallon the price will eb $4.00 right. I am just not seeing this correctly? What am I missing.

you know you like it Not Verified Feedback Score 0 Chris GTO TT's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You have about 3 different topics in that question.

First hybrids highway mileage is based mostly off of tricks in aerodynamics and a very fuel efficient gasoline engine. Their city mileage is based off of the fact they can accelerate from a stop with no or limited help from a gas engine. Since accelerating worse for gas mileage than maintaining a speed using electricity helps lower gas usage. Also hybrids use start stop technology so the engine doesnt idle at stoplights wasting even more gas. Idling is one of the least fuel efficient things you can do.

Ethanol in gas has some interesting effects, I've read more than one study that argues we should remove all ethanol from gasoline because we end up polluting more and using more gasoline due to its incorporation in gas. Ethanol has less energy per gallon than gasoline but a higher resistance to knock. When you mix them as in E10 or E85 you need more fuel to achieve the same power levels (worse fuel economy) but it can allow higher timing and compression so that allows more power. CA only uses E10 gas and I track my fuel mileage using Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG my Maxima should be able to attain 25-26mpg on the hwy easily but because of the lower gasoline content in our fuel I sometimes struggle to get 23mpg in mostly highway driving.

What do these two topics combined mean...Hybrids use lots of tricks to get 'better mileage' but when you combine them with E10 fuel their advertised mileage will drop drastically.

I believe that it takes about 33% more E85 to run a car. so if the E85 isnt 33% cheaper you are still better of getting the 100% gas (assuming its even available where you live)

Man vs 3/S verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) R/T93's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    America's tactics for developing "fuel efficient vehicles" has failed miserably. It's criminal. There are dozens and dozens of European cars that get over 50 mpg, yet a medium sedan's mileage in America is deemed "good" at 30 mpg. There was a top gear episode, they drove like 800 miles on one tank of gas....in a FULL SIZE JAGUAR, it got like 50 mpg, like a 3 liter diesel. There was another car in the group that got 70+ mpg, it was even decent looking and I am sure better quality than any shitty Toyota Echo or something crappy like that, had a 1.3 liter diesel. There is no reason these cars arent available in America other than auto makers refusing to actually use the technology they know just for their oil buddies to make more money.
    93 R/T - Modded, Full Suspension, Full Exhaust, Quaife Diff, Turbo brakes, Alpine/Boston Sound One of 25
    98 VR-4 - Billet 13t's, Downpipe, Blitz EBC, Ohlins R/T coil overs, SCE center differential, SCE oil pan, Pampena braced trans, TEC Rear Strut Bar, Custom Front Strut Bar, Camber Arms, Alum Driveshaft, 2" Koyo, Maximal oil cooler, SAFC2, Defi Gauges, RC 550's, Supra Pump, Skillard Splitter, Hardpipes, XYZ 14" front brakes/Carbotech, 255 Dunlop Z2's, AMR 18x9's, Alpine/Infinity/JL Sound. One of 13

3SNG15 Best overall

"I explode 1 piece rotors" -- ABM --
    Runs 12's (12.98's!!!!!!)
    My Garage

owner since 2004 Feedback Score 0 colt45 gto's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    we got a peugeot 306 HDi its a 2L turbo diesel and its averaging 40mpg round town it getting around 50-55mpg on a highway use. so i dunno about the hybrid thing i think its a fallacy!
    3si is dead long live 3sgto.org

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The problem is, fat Americans want nothing to do with a "real" fuel saving car. They want nothing to do with diesel. They want nothing to do with not driving like total assholes. Every Prius driver I see is a jackass; not one of them drives sensibly to save gas. "Oh, it's ok, I drive a Prius!" If they wanted to save money, they wouldn't be driving a Prius.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    My '88 CRX averages 40mpg in mixed city/hwy driving. Best I have ever gotten was 47.8mpg over a long stretch of 80mph interstate-only driving. At 65mph I would've probably crested 50mpg.

I see the new CR-Z driving around and I have to ask... Why?

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    VW Polo Blue Motion diesel in the UK gets 70+mpg combined.. The new VW Passat Blue motion can do 1000 miles to a tank of diesel.
    GTO-TT, PTE 1200's, M20, Emanage Ultimate, OS Geiken R3C,
    TD04-16g`s, Maf-t. 13g`s 12.4@115mph / 16g`s 12.5@117mph.

owner since 2004 Feedback Score 0 colt45 gto's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    haha thats because they see diesel as slow and sluggish unless its a 7L cat or cummins engine. our little 2L is a lot quicker off the mark than a prius.

and for the prius drivers.....the diesel produces coal dust not toxic fumes and its cheaper on the environment to produce

i am very tempted to slot a 3L TD mercedes engine, gearbox into the gto. it wont loose much umph and be twice as good on fuel

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris GTO TT View Post

Ethanol in gas has some interesting effects, I've read more than one study that argues we should remove all ethanol from gasoline because we end up polluting more and using more gasoline due to its incorporation in gas. Ethanol has less energy per gallon than gasoline but a higher resistance to knock. When you mix them as in E10 or E85 you need more fuel to achieve the same power levels (worse fuel economy) but it can allow higher timing and compression so that allows more power. CA only uses E10 gas and I track my fuel mileage using Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG my Maxima should be able to attain 25-26mpg on the hwy easily but because of the lower gasoline content in our fuel I sometimes struggle to get 23mpg in mostly highway driving.
    I've always thought that the E10 gas was a complete scam. 1- Ethanol production in the US uses more than 1 gallon of gasoline to produce 1 gallon of ethanol. 2- Adding ethanol increases octane, so the oil companies can use a cheaper-to-produce, lower octane fuel as the fuel base. 3- Most vehicles see reduced efficiency and lower fuel mileage with E10.

E10 gas is not good for the consumer or the environment. Oil companies are the only real beneficiary. It ultimately increases fuel consumption and lowers costs for them. This unfortunately is a case of the oil companies and government instituting an unjust law that benefits them and hurts everyone else. They tell us that we are helping the environment, bolstering the US economy, and reducing our dependence on foreign oil, while, behind closed doors, they laugh at our stupidity and gullibility. This has become somewhat normal practice for our government and it's pretty sad.

The "safety laws" that almost require a compact car to weigh 2 tons to comply are much the same thing. How the hell are you going to require every car to meet government safety standards? If the consumer wants to buy a less safe and more fuel efficient car, that should be their choice.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RL7 For This Useful Post:

Advanced Tech? verified Feedback Score 0 i3igpete's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hym3n View Post
    My '88 CRX averages 40mpg in mixed city/hwy driving. Best I have ever gotten was 47.8mpg over a long stretch of 80mph interstate-only driving. At 65mph I would've probably crested 50mpg.

I see the new CR-Z driving around and I have to ask... Why?
    because NHTSA requires 50 airbags and the ability to survive getting run over by a tank, so this inevitably adds a ton of weight
    Maddog Performance Engineering

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast