Thread: Can someone with a '93 TT measure their oil dipstick for me?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks

Can someone with a '93 TT measure their oil dipstick for me?

My old dipstick cracked where the O-ring at the top fit, so it wouldn't seal properly. I finally got around to picking up a new dipstick and dipstick tube, but I noticed that the new dipstick is shorter than the old.

Possible causes:

1. The dipstick in my car was the wrong one (and I've been running too little oil for a long while)

2. I have the wrong dipstick for my application (maybe a SOHC?) or

3. I have the right dipstick, but the tube length was shortened compared to the one on the car, so it won't read correctly until I swap tubes.

Can someone with a '93 Twin Turbo measure their dipstick for me? Go from the sealing surface on the top of the stick (the shoulder that rests on top of the tube) to the tip.

My old one is 54.5cm. The new one is 53cm.

Thanks.

DG

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    4/2010

Thanks
    i can do this for ya tomorrow when i get my car back less someone beats me to it
    "Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to never was there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it"

Owner Since

Thanks
    Hey, it's right in front of me-topping my fluids up for my '93 TT's maiden voyage on rebuild.
    High oil mark @ 49cm
    Low oil mark @ 50.8cm
    Total length @ 52.8cm

Cheers

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Thanks for that.

I'd like to get another measurement from someone else if I could - just to nail down the possibility that we both have the wrong dipstick.

DG

If you're ever in the Leamington area (not terrible far from Windsor), you're welcome to come visit. I have a 93 RT/TT whereby you can make comparisons of the dip sticks.

Stealth owner since '91
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Using the dipstick to determine how much oil to put in is kind of ass-backwards anyway. The way I was taught is to measure in the oil then see if the stick is accurate. The next time you do an oil change measure in the specified amount of oil, and then see what it says on the stick. That should erase any doubt.
    From another thread (http://www.3sgto.org/f2/how-much-oil...hold-2876.html )
    Originally Posted by wraith
    As per our manual 4 quarts w/o filter 4 1/2 with filter and 5 with a complete oil change with oil cooler disconnected and dumped. This is what Mitsubishi recommends. Remember that this is a dry motor specification so your probably going to get it to the full mark with somewhere between 4 to 4 1/2 with a filter change.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    That's fine, but I'm still looking to get another data point on the proper length of the dipstick.

So if someone else could pull theirs and measure it, it would be much appreciated.

DG