Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is $2K reasonable to paint job?

Forum User verified Feedback Score 3 (100%) 3000GTCSULB's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Is $2K reasonable to paint job?

I have a 92 VR4 that I'm doing a 99 Conversion on.

Current color is Pearl White, I'd like to paint the outside of the car Toyota Pearl White. Brand new parts on car, small dings. All hardware and parts have been removed. No re-paint of jams or motors.

Is $2000 a reasonable amount for the paint job or is it higher?

I'll be looking for estimates when my victory hood comes in. In SoCal if that matters.

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Dunno.

I just shopped the same paint job you're looking at - no jambs or underhood, but with all the skirts, trim, antenna, mirrors, etc., stripped off.

The guy's work is stupendous; I've seen lots of examples - anyway, mine is Firestorm Red (kinda spendy), and the guy quoted me 4K, which I thought was pretty reasonable.

Like I say, though, the material price for red is totally stupid; I could probably do a color change exchanging the cost of the paint for the labor to pull the engine and interior, but I'd want it black, so that would be a bit more labor, too...
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

I'm Kind Of A Big Deal Feedback Score 8 (100%) Emilie@GZP's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    That's cheap for a pearl paint job.

rawr. verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) Atrosity's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 2009

Thanks
    I am looking to spend around 2k for a black paint job.

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Prices are very regional. In places with lots of cheap immigrant labor such as yours, prices are often much lower, but quality often is as well. Just shop around and try to see honest examples of their work. See a car that just dried if possible. Look closely at the paint for defects. Look for minimal orange peel. In a poor economy, even skilled painters are probably willing to give a lower price than they normally would. Just be suspicious of prices that seem unusually low- the proper materials are not cheap.

Not A DSM verified Feedback Score 3 (100%) Polygon's Avatar
    Owner Since
    June 2006

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilie@GZP View Post
    That's cheap for a pearl paint job.
    I've got to agree. Hell, if it's good work I would call that cheap for any paint job.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 3 (100%) tazman's Avatar
    Owner Since
    January 2001

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7 View Post
    Prices are very regional. In places with lots of cheap immigrant labor such as yours, prices are often much lower, but quality often is as well.
    Pretty bold statement about SoCal, with many negative assumptions...

Where are YOU located?

To the OP, $2K is pretty cheap for a complete show quality pearl paint job (if that's what you're looking for). If you've seen other cars they've worked on, and you're satisfied, go for it!

rawr. verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) Atrosity's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 2009

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Frank, I agree with you on this one completely. It is a stereotypical assumption.

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post

Where are YOU located?

To the OP, $2K is pretty cheap for a complete show quality pearl paint job (if that's what you're looking for). If you've seen other cars they've worked on, and you're satisfied, go for it!
    I think you're misunderstanding. I meant nothing negative by that- it's just the way things work. I only made 2 assumptions with that post and I don't think either is negative: 1)There are more undocumented workers in Southern California than there are in most places, and 2)The auto-painting industry is not unusually well regulated in the area. If either of these is wrong, I apologize. I'm located in South Florida and I am in charge of a business down here, so I am somewhat acquainted with the economics of this sort of thing. Undocumented workers are often willing to work for significantly less money. That could translate to significantly less overhead for the shop and would allow them to complete a job for less. When I said the quality may be lower, I'm not saying that an immigrant will necessarily do a lesser quality job, but that if you, the customer, spend significantly less for a paint job, you will not expect as much and the shop will likely cut as many corners as it can to save costs and give you a minimally acceptable product. Even shops that are following the rules may be forced to cut corners to compete with the lower prices given by the shops that are not. There are many more factors that go into why a paintjob costs twice as much in one place as it does in another, but a large population of undocumented workers happens to be a pretty strong indicator. If you still think there are negative assumptions I am making, please let me know what they are so hopefully I can clarify.

I just noticed it doesn't show my location in my thing there, I'll have to try and fix that.

There will be Blood! verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) CoopKill's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have $1200 invested in the paint and took it to a shop with 95% of the body work done. Keep in mind it is a cheap shop, Macco.

I had all but the front bumper of and ready with the exception of final sanding. It still was $1800 for them to final sand, paint with my products, and re-assemble the car.

It needs to be cut and buffed still...

So, 2g's will get you a paint job, but not as detailed as you may want...

Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast