Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Quest to Prove Ray Pampena a mortal man.

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) dpartinvr4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    04/18/2008

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My Quest to Prove Ray Pampena a mortal man.

so from the days of my 3s infancy "3 years ago" The names Ray Pampena and Matt Monet have been that of legend. well recently, my idea of a 10 second 3s with 13T's was laughed at. when I brought up Rays 11.2 second run on a basically stock GT with DR650's, I was told that it went that fast because Ray tuned and drove it. well, Ray bleeds just like I do "I hope" so I see no reason that I can't run 10's with my set up: Rob Beck 13T's, Borla 3" exhaust "no cats", aftermarket downpipe, AEM FPR, GM MAF, MAFT, SAFC, PMP FMIC, MSD DIS-4 and various vaccum, A/C, and bottom of the throttle body reduction. I'm not saying I'm better than anybody, I'm just saying they're not Gods with some unascertainable ability.......I'll let you guys know how I do when I get my car done and to the track in about 3-4 weeks.
    Last edited by dpartinvr4; 03-08-2012 at 10:12 PM.

LW fears my posts Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    LOL, well, I posted in your other thread. I didn't laugh at you, but for those of us who have been with this platform for (in my case) well over a decade, we have a pretty good idea of what it will take. I do think 10's are POSSIBLE with 13T's, but as I stated before, that is going to entail a LOT of other mods to make it happen. Some serious weight reduction, and a track that is prepped very well, and cooperative weather.

I have 13T's myself. However, I bought them with the goal of 11.6-11.7 at 120-125 traps. That is certainly doable with 13T's. But shaving off that .6 is harder than you might think, which is why I recommended 19T's. The 13T is a bit smaller than a 15G, which is what Ray had when he went 11.002 or something. So right there, you've got a guy with a bigger turbo, who knows these cars inside and out, not getting into the 10's.

I hope you can do it, keep us posted!

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) jba3's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    They might be "mortal" but there is a reason they are legends. They have driven better times with similar or the same setups that other people cannot match.

Matt Monett is THE 8 second club member. THE member. No one else in a 3S has ever done it, and it's not because of the money he has into his car - which I'd bet is comparable (or less) than a number of people.

If I remember right, Ray drove a members car yearrrs ago (6? 7?) and managed to clock off almost a half second faster 1/4 pass than the owner did, at the same track on the same day. It *might* have been Nelson's car, I know Ray drove it, but I'm not sure if that's the one I'm thinking of.

There's a few others from a long time ago like Jack Tertadian, aka Dr Jack, who ran a 10.8 on 15Gs (which are roughly equivalent to 13Ts) somewhere back around '00, though I think he had a small shot (35? 50?) of spray too. They are closer to a 13T than the normal 15G conversions, they were "super" 15Gs, which have a larger housing than stock, not the bored stock housing with a 15G wheel, so moderately comparable to the 13T w/WRX housings.

Other than that, almost all of the sub-11 second runs I've seen are "non legends" running TD05s, T3/T4/DRxxx setups - and some of them STILL slower than Ray/Matt.

However ... I do wish you the best of luck with it. If you have some serious weight reduction and driving skills, it's possible; Austin @ STM made 10.9 on stock 9Bs and he's a "mortal" too (though I'm starting to wonder) - but Austin had a lot of help from the "I don't need this!" weight loss fairy.
    1995 VR4 Coupe

seize the carpe! Feedback Score 0 Lithium's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    10 Seconds is capable with a 9B car, thats already been proven. It just bepends on how much of a car you want left once its done. I'm all for friendly competition and I hope you can raise the bar and stir up the pot. My 2 cents, spend money on a nice multi disc clutch setup and suspension. Good luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lithium For This Useful Post:

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Agreed, go for your goals but dont forget what needs to be done to get there.

Good luck!

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    When 10 sec on 9b`s is the benchmark 13T`s are cheating!.

I thought i had the magic bullet with TD04-16g`s to run low 11`s but then the clutch gods decided to play their cards..
    GTO-TT, PTE 1200's, M20, Emanage Ultimate, OS Geiken R3C,
    TD04-16g`s, Maf-t. 13g`s 12.4@115mph / 16g`s 12.5@117mph.

Forum User Feedback Score 13 (100%) Austin@STM's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    10 Seconds is capable with a 9B car, thats already been proven. It just bepends on how much of a car you want left once its done. I'm all for friendly competition and I hope you can raise the bar and stir up the pot. My 2 cents, spend money on a nice multi disc clutch setup and suspension. Good luck.
    Agreed, there wasnt much to my setup, but it was setup.

The only way to get a small turbo car into the tens is simply the launch. If your car cant launch then your screwed for sure. On snow tires cutting high 1.6-1.8 60's i bested 11.3. However with the slicks every full pass was in the 10's, thanks to some 1.4 60's.

That being said i dont think tens are out of the question by any means, but your gonna have to push it. I had the boost controller cranked all the down, and worked the turbos for everything they had, with a bigger turbo (13t's in this case) that should flow more air, technically you should have more power if everything else is there like fuel, cool air, and good spark it can be done.

I hope it works for you, but take a look at my build threads so you know what your getting into. Its not something thats going to just happen because you have the parts on the car.

-Austin

-Ricer Evo 8: 8.75 @ 166 Best MPH of 167. Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in The US!!!
    -Chris Cessna's Stock short block Evo 8: 9.76@150 Worlds Fastest Stock Motor Evo 8 and First Stock Block In The 9's!
    -Shawna's DD Evo 8: 9.97@143.88 Best MPH of 145 Full leather interior, A/C, navigation, stock brakes, cruisin 9's in style
    -Cory's Stock 7 bolt talon: 10.3@136 No crank walk here...
    -STM Stock turbo/motor Stealth RT: 10.95@127 Worlds Quyickest/Fastest and most powerful Stock turbo/ motor 3S
    -James STM built Pump gas Evo8 stock motor: 10.2@137 Stock long block, and only on pump gas!
    -Mike Faggiano Evo3 16g stock motor 1g 11.0@124 just a 16g knockin on 10's door.
    And the list goes on...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Austin@STM For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    04/18/2008

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    when the car was bone stock, less an FIPK and catback, I trapped 1.7sec 60' times, and ran 13.3 on stock boost, and I don't launch hard "around 3k rpm's" so 17 lbs with 13T's and all the things I have listed below will let me dial the tune in, so I just feel like 10's are very do able.

Here for the party Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) CoreyB's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    IMO getting a car with 13t's into tthe 10's would only prove that you were willing spend some money and time to hit your goal. It certainly wouldnt reflect only Matt or Rays history. Beat Matts pass and then you have proven something.

Owner Since
    04/18/2008

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyB View Post
    IMO getting a car with 13t's into tthe 10's would only prove that you were willing spend some money and time to hit your goal. It certainly wouldnt reflect only Matt or Rays history. Beat Matts pass and then you have proven something.
    I'm not trying to put them down, just the subject of that other thread kinda turned into, "well your not Ray so you can't go that fast".... it was just an interesting title to get some discussion going

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast