Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here collect watches?

Insomniac
    Owner Since

Thanks
    For people who like Rolex, but cant justify spending $6,000, I suggest the Debaufre Ocean 1.

Sapphire crystal, solid end links/bracelet, 300m, screw down crown and caseback, great lume, eta 2824. Beautiful watch, phenomenal quality. Also, it costs less than $500. Oh and Bluemax, you can get one with the gmt function.

Really would like an IWC, but a bit pricey for me.

Insomniac
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrob View Post
    Has anyone found a good watch winder that doesn't cost as much as the watch I'm putting in there? I found one, but it doesn't do a very good job on keeping it wound. My Omega dies after about 4 or 5 days of being in there.
    I wouldn't even bother with a watch winder. If worst comes to worst, just let the watch die. It takes, what, five seconds to reset the time? Unless of course your watch has complications like moon phase and chronographs. Then it's a bit more difficult.

Unfortunately, good watch winders are expensive.

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner up View Post
    For people who like Rolex, but cant justify spending $6,000, I suggest the Debaufre Ocean 1.

Sapphire crystal, solid end links/bracelet, 300m, screw down crown and caseback, great lume, eta 2824. Beautiful watch, phenomenal quality. Also, it costs less than $500. Oh and Bluemax, you can get one with the gmt function.

Really would like an IWC, but a bit pricey for me.
    nice, but my taste is with the retro rolex.....oyster, day date, president.
    I wouldn't even bother with a watch winder. If worst comes to worst, just let the watch die. It takes, what, five seconds to reset the time? Unless of course your watch has complications like moon phase and chronographs. Then it's a bit more difficult.

best and cheapest winders you ar born with. a watch runs what 48 hours before it dies without kinetic movement? my 2nd to last replica rolex never stopped, damn thing was near on never off my wrist but when i take a watch off i forget about them for a day or two, when that happened i think i caught it just in time each time.
    3si is dead long live 3sgto.org

Australia verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I don't collect watches, just have a few Rolex knock offs. Here's a pic of the ones I could find, the gold one's a Daytona, the silver is a Datejust.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yeah, that's my problem. My watch is an Omega Speedmaster with day/date/month. It's a huge pain to let die.
    Moving on to reality. Sold my 3KGT, and now I am selling off my parts.
    Click here to see my parts for sale

Diamonds and Rust
    Owner Since
    1-11-01

Thanks
    for real rolex's i would always remind the customer that if they did take the watch off at night, that it would get slow and, to wind it 5 extra times per week to compensate. i also told them what rolex said that was to lay the watch dial down when not wearing. this is so that the 9 diff oils inside the movement, that are nice and warm from your body temp, will pool into a bowl(anywhere metal makes contact a synthetic ruby, aka jewel, will make the contact with oil in a ball and socket for lack of better term), as opposed to running free. this way when you pick up the watch youll have more oil in the jewels. to demonstrate this was not harmful to the rolex i would take my sub off and lay it face down on the glass counter and, push down and, slide it back and forth across the glass, then hand it out for inspection. never had a scratch on the crystal to this day!

Many of the high end watches these days use a synthetic sapphire crystal. The only things that can scratch them are another sapphire, or of course, a diamond. Synthetic sapphire is fairly common these days. Those built-in supermarket barcode scanners use sheets of synthetic sapphire crystal for the window instead of glass to prevent them from accumulating all the scratches from cans and bottles that used to scratch the crap out of the 'old' glass and acrylic scanners that would need to be replaced often because the scanner couldn't read the barcodes if there were too many scratches on them.

BTW, most of the high end watches are adjusted to 6 positions (face up, face down, crown side up, crown side down, 12 o'clock up, 12 o'clock down) to try to keep them fairly accurate regardless of position, but it still makes a small difference depending on the mechanical movement. One of my friends tested several different watches (different brands and movements) and recorded the data (relative to the atomic clock). Some watches would gain time face down where others would lose time. Some would keep accurate time crown down, while others wouldn't etc. Amusing.

Max

Diamonds and Rust
    Owner Since
    1-11-01

Thanks
    when we had a rolex show we had a tech bring in this little ekg machine for the watches. they used it to adjust the timing on them, as you say, in alot of diff possitions. i loved watching that thing work and listen to the sounds of the movment amplified. had a little graph that showed the timing in real time like a heart moniter. she would time peoples watches by apt, all day for free durring a rolex show. i once sold 5 yachtmasters in one day.

Insomniac
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrob View Post
    Yeah, that's my problem. My watch is an Omega Speedmaster with day/date/month. It's a huge pain to let die.
    One of my dream watches. Hmm, you should sell it to me.

My newest acquisition:

Orient 60th Anniversary watch. Manual wind, date, domed crystal, and power reserve. 1500 made world wide, each individually engraved. Mine is number 291.

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i have a classic tag that cost me ~$500. that's about the extent of what i'm willing to spend on a watch (which is why i don't have a breitling). i prefer watches that virtually indestructible; which is why my daily timepiece has been the same ironman timex for the past decade.

i'd like to replace this timex with something a bit more upscale, but i need a digital watch for daily use (which is why i don't wear the analog tag). i want something with an anodized black band & matching face (i replacing plastic, not wanting more of it). preferably <$300. large font time readout preferred. date readout on same screen preferred. feature heavy is a plus, but minimalism in design/display is also great. needs to light up. needs high contrast display (reverse display would be great). anyone got any suggestions?