Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questioning effectiveness of new set-up, TD06 20G kit

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

Questioning effectiveness of new set-up, TD06 20G kit

I bought the Pitroad M TD06 20G set up from CANENAC/Keith(from the other site(components listed below) and I'm wondering if it is too big for what I realistically need. I'm thinking 500AWHP would be all I really need and at this point, I'm looking at using a forged 3.0.

Here is what I have(copied from his ad):

td06 20g Greddy/Pitroad M turbo kit.This kit is bolt on with no modifications needed. Used and has around 5k+- miles on it.
    It will include Greddy td06 20g Turbos, Greddy td06 Headers, Greddy Downpipes with external dumps, oil lines, Greddy external wastegates, Greddy BOV, apexi filters (blue), Greddy type Front Mount Intercooler with all couplers and t-bolt clamps that bolt to turbo kit. This is a complete kit that is unique and not many people in the states have due to Pitroad M of Japan being one of the only able to sale kit. You will not be disappointed trust me! This is not some crappy kit this was design by Pitroad M/Greddy and very high quality parts.
    PRICE DROP!!! Asking $3,700 or best offer.

AEM EMS ver 1 with IAT, 5bar map. Used with around 5k on them.
    added pics in post #15 on 2nd page
    PRICE DROP!!! Asking $1,000 or best offer.

1000cc Lucas Injectors. Brand new never installed.
    PRICE DROP!!! Asking $300 or best offer.
    The kit looks awesome, has everything needed and I'd love to use it.

My questions I have right now:
    Is the set-up overkill for 500 AWHP?
    If not overkill, would there be a lot of lag?
    Is the AEM EMS necessary or recommended?
    Would I be better off to sell this kit and buy something different(thinking IPS EVO III kit)?

[IMG]http://www.3si.org/forum/attachments/f4/83826d1294323294-performance-part-out-pitroad-m-greddy-aem-tein-etc-front-turbo.jpg

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It's overkill IMO, and there would be a lot of lag. 20G turbos are pretty outdated.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    the fact that it come with the FMIC might be the only saving grace. dr750's are cheaper than that. while 20g's aren't "bad" necessarily, they aren't the best turbos available--especially for a stock 3.0L engine. it will be VERY laggy, imho.

if 500awhp is your goal, you can probably do it with billet dr650's for about 60% of the cost of that kit. and those are BOLT-ON, have substantially less lag, etc.

p.s.

for 500awhp, you can do it on a piggyback. there's an open debate on arc2 vs. maft (either with or without an safc). frankly, both work. ray prefers one, matt prefers the other. you don't need AEM to get there.

that said, you will always be able to get the absolute maximum out of your setup--easier--if you go with AEM. be prepared to pay for the cost of it twice; as getting it fine-tuned for all operating conditions is a lengthy process. (it's really a damn shame we don't have any aftermarket ECU replacements with pre-mapping available. many other platforms do. it's essentially an AEM; but instead of tuning, you get a map for someone with mods similar to yours, and plug it in. tuning only takes an hour or two; vs. 5x that or more).
    Last edited by IPD; 02-28-2011 at 06:11 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IPD For This Useful Post:

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Sorry I didn't get back in here sooner. I am subscribed, but didn't get notification that there was a post here.

What you guys said is what I am learning. When I bought it, I didn't really have a plan of 500HP, just thought I would be a great start to a powerful car. After some thought, I realized that I don't really need much more than 500HP or so and this kit is probably too much for that. Thought about going with a 3.5 stroker to make it more usable. Still an option, but not for a while down the road.

I'm not real fond of going with AEM which is why I asked the question.
    Last edited by gs1000kat; 02-28-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i'm confused. you already bought the kit, or are you referring to buying the car?

fwiw, you could probably make MASSIVE power from a td06 kit; but you'd need to get a stroker & find a set of td06 turbos with some billet compressor wheels (ideally, ask matt M. at dynamic if he can get you a set made with the same type of goodies his dr750's have). if you did that, you could probably get the setup to where it was spooling by 3,000 rpms and was pushing 800+hp on pump. problem is; even if you used those turbos as cores (assuming they're good) it would cost you 2-3k extra to get them customized as thus.

meanwhile, you could have stayed bolt-on & made 500awhp on pump (assuming you have the right turbos). or you could go td05 16g kit (which would be pimp-tastic if you got the billet 16g's).

p.s.

the word of mouth i've heard is that the IPS 16g kit is designed a bit better than the 3sx one. i'm personally getting one of the new SSM 16g kits; and i have high hopes for it (stay tuned for my thoughts--once i receive all the pieces).

p.p.s.

you didn't mention what car you have. if you have a 91/92; don't even THINK about going for big power without doing an engine rebuild. there is no proven limit to what the cast crank's in those years can hold; and frankly--you don't want to find out what yours can do. the MOST i've ever heard of one making is ~400awhp. i've heard of a lot more breaking though.
    Last edited by IPD; 03-01-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have been considering doing some kind of build with one of my 3S'. No real plan as to what I wanted or even which car. This came up and I checked it out. Ended up trading my Stealth TT for the kit.

Then I started thinking that these probably had more potential than I really needed and had read about TD06 being laggy.

The IPS EVO III kit is what I am probably going to end up with.

As far as engine, I am buying RAI's car that has a PMP stage 2 block in it, plus a little later I will pick up another Stealth parts car that comes with a forged shortblock.

Forum User Not Verified

Owner Since

Thanks
    I don't think you'll see any boost below 5000 RPM. Probably 6000 RPM before full boost.

Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

I'm Kind Of A Big Deal
    Owner Since

Thanks
    TD06's will be quite laggy. Even the td05's (evo3's) will be quite laggy. They were fun, but the lag kind of leaves you wanting just a little bit more from the set-up.

Are you dead set on upgrading to td05's? You can EASILY achieve the 500awhp mark on the td04 turbos that are now coming onto the market.

We are in the process of building our yellow 95 VR4 with our new turbo set-up that will be released in the next few weeks.

If you would like some more info on it, shoot me a message, and I can give you some details.
    Circa 2005... Oh my, how far I've come
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilie@GZP View Post
    gear wrenches = wrench with the spinny thing inside of the circle part?
    Current:
    2004 ML500 - Mommy Mobile
    1996 Ram 2500 V10 - Tow Vehicle
    1991 Stealth R/T Twin Turbo - Pink Parts, Billet GZP 747's
    1995 3000GT VR-4 - lawn gnome
    1999 3000GT SL - 7,436 miles
    1995 3000GT Spyder - garage ornament

FOR SALE:
    1995 3000GT Spyder VR-4 Red, 80k miles

Forum User supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gs1000kat View Post
    Sorry I didn't get back in here sooner. I am subscribed, but didn't get notification that there was a post here.

What you guys said is what I am learning. When I bought it, I didn't really have a plan of 500HP, just thought I would be a great start to a powerful car. After some thought, I realized that I don't really need much more than 500HP or so and this kit is probably too much for that. Thought about going with a 3.5 stroker to make it more usable. Still an option, but not for a while down the road.

I'm not real fond of going with AEM which is why I asked the question.

I ran Td05's for a few years. 500HP is very doable with them. And there isnt much lag as long as the headers are done right. TD04 turbos are great but I was able to get more power out of TD05's on pump gas then td04's If you are thinking about going 3.5 i would recommend the TD05's as you will not need the upgrade later.

If you need a complete TD05 kit with FMIC and intake pipes let me know or just check out our site. Split Second Motorsports - Performance Parts

Forum User
    Owner Since
    04'

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inperfectdarkness View Post
    p.p.s.

you didn't mention what car you have. if you have a 91/92; don't even THINK about going for big power without doing an engine rebuild. there is no proven limit to what the cast crank's in those years can hold; and frankly--you don't want to find out what yours can do. the MOST i've ever heard of one making is ~400awhp. i've heard of a lot more breaking though.
    Where are you hearing of so many breaking with so low of power levels?

Chris has man 10second passes and 800+ awhp dynos with a 2 bolt with one of his gridle kits.

Hillbillyhomeboy had a gt42 setup on a 2bolt with somewhere around 8-900awhp

I used to daily drive a 15g car with 421awhp and... a 2 bolt.
    Last edited by EthanS; 03-01-2011 at 11:44 AM.