Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: List of what's needed for ECU flash?

Riding topless!! verified
    Owner Since
    Owned 8 3s since 2005.

Thanks

List of what's needed for ECU flash?

Can anyone clue me in in what this is all about? From what I've been reading it sounds like having the customization and tuning ability of an AEM or standalone with stock reliability. Would a full standalone be better or a piggyback? Currently I have a MAFT Pro ready to be installed on the Spyder with the turbo upgrade. I'd like to go with the best reliable option. I like the MAFT pro for it's features and tweaks (like the lean cruise mode). But at times on my old VR4 it was overwhelming. I understand all the basics but I still don't trust myself to do my own tune.

What do you need to get it done? I'm assuming a laptop, some kind if patch cable, and a compatable ECU?
    Last edited by Gearheadvr4; 02-28-2011 at 10:07 AM.

I Kill Threads verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You need a 98/99 ECU and whatever software they make for it, that's all I know about it. I'm assuming you can just edit the value's like you would on any other tuning system that uses a computer interface.
    1992 3000GT VR-4
    DR650s,Denso 550 injectors, Walbro 255, Emanage Blue,3SX Cat Eliminator Downpipe,Short Shifter,DNP Hardpipe Kit,HKS SSQV,Underdrive pulley,Carbotech slotted rotors,RPS Lightweight Flywheel, Maximal Solid Mounts

Owner Since
    Owned 8 3s since 2005.

Thanks
    I know we should have a few guys here that have tried this.

Any more advice?

Member verified
    Owner Since
    July 2005

Thanks
    Have a 99 Montero ECU. Needs a few modifications to work, IE knock sensor circuitry wired in. An adapter harness is needed obviously. Check out this thread.

http://www.3sgto.org/f2/99-montero-e...h-tt-1820.html
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

Owner Since
    Owned 8 3s since 2005.

Thanks
    I will check that thread. Thanks!

Has this progressed enough for me to switch from Maft pro? Would it br worth it?

Member verified
    Owner Since
    July 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearheadvr4 View Post
    I will check that thread. Thanks!

Has this progressed enough for me to switch from Maft pro? Would it br worth it?
    It's nearly there, and yes, 100% full fuel and timing control, plus as code is found/written a multitude of other features.

One fix at a time verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You're stuck with the stock MAF right now so it'll be very hard to make more than 400AWHP. I'm waiting until the EVO8 MAF is usable with the flashed ECU or a speed density option becomes available. Once that's in place I'll probably switch to it since I don't need a standalone but I'd like more rock solid adjustability than a piggyback will give me.

Owner Since
    Owned 8 3s since 2005.

Thanks
    I read thru that entire thread and a few others on the topic. I think I will be holding onto my Maft Pro for a bit. I really like speed density and all the features. Just need to rededicate myself to learning as much as I can.

I'm excited about the possibilities the ECU flash will lead to! A bit disappointed that it's not an open source project. I thought this would be something a DIY kinda person could put together. Obviously I could buy all the parts and peice it together but the proprietary knowledge about modifying the ECU and programming would stop me.

Don't get me wrong, I believe these guys are working very hard on it and if they want to sell it then that's ok. I just misunderstood at first blush what was needed. It seems it's not done yet and I need to wait like everyone else for when it's ready for sale.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Looking to reflash too. I'm currently running the maft pro and safcII...you're saying I can't use that if I re-flash? Obviously with the 19ts I need to have enough air...

What are my intake options when flashing? Thanks!

Member verified
    Owner Since
    July 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboSinceBirth View Post
    You're stuck with the stock MAF right now so it'll be very hard to make more than 400AWHP. I'm waiting until the EVO8 MAF is usable with the flashed ECU or a speed density option becomes available. Once that's in place I'll probably switch to it since I don't need a standalone but I'd like more rock solid adjustability than a piggyback will give me.
    No you're not. I can put an Evo 8/9 MAF in right now. It's just a matter of changing the values over, which are known, and changing the connector over to the proper one.

Matter of fact I'm going to look at doing this in the next couple months.

I also believe that I am making over 400awhp right now with the stock MAF. I have 13t's at 18psi with 560cc injectors and 14-15 degrees of timing at the top end. All of that is a reciepe for 400+awhp. And didn't Ray make over 400whp with just an SAFC and billet DR650s?
    Last edited by aaronatstate; 03-01-2011 at 12:38 PM.