Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi GTO LM Edition©

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks

Mitsubishi GTO LM Edition©

Ok i took my thread from where it lived and put it here. i'm sure it will bring happiness to the future masses.

as i said somewhere along the line...not so long ago!

i'll be trying to recreate the car that never was. today i have been to see the donor car '92 GTO TT its currently sat under another car, lol yes its holding another car in the air but roof should pop right out! if not get a roof of another and replace it.

it has panel damage along the sides but the doors are good. not that i'm really bothered about panel damage i'll be recreating with aluminum for weight purposes.

all i am waiting for now is the motor and transe to be removed and the rest is mine, its also getting delivered

so i will say that in a week maybe less i'll be starting the LM edition project

whats that pics or ban? haha here ya go. this should keep you hyped!

3si is dead long live 3sgto.org

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks
    this isn't easy by any means but after a day.....i'm getting there damn its going to need some wide shoes... possibly 335 tires

anyway...i know its like Frankenstein's monster right now but give it a few days when all panels are made (btw fuck the weight saving), the steel i'm using is actually just as heavy as the original panels if a 1lb heavier. and i cut those out so i may gain a little i may break even see how it goes. i decided to fuckit and use the puma, i know its strong!

oh almost had a bad accident too. cutting disk broke on the grinder and almost took my finger with it, good job i had no gloves on or i would have had no cut to prove it

i figured out my rims will do the job

looks freakin evil :bigok:

got to give the rims a good clean and mirror polish on the inners but thank god for 3 way split rims

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks
    you guys will be shocked to know that the only tools i have to do this are....

mig welder (i'm crap with)
    pair of tin snips
    1 long reach body grips
    1 medium reach body grips
    1 vice grip
    body planeshing hammer and half round dolly
    tape measure
    angle grinder (with exploding cutting disks)

thats it! no folding machine
    no wheeling machine
    no other special machinery

this is back to basics bodywork

and that £20 i set in the rim lip....i got £10 left thats it. its cost £75 upto now i need 2 more sheets of metal costing £20 and i have all i need to complete barring paint/primer.

talk about projects on a budget lol. i'm broke but i dont give up

this is a sketch of reality...
    you know you want to do something different, and the impatience of getting started means you dont wait for the donor shell to arrive. you stand back and look at a perfectly good car armed with an angle grinder with a cutting disk fitted. the worst part is firing up that grinder and hitting a perfectly good panel for the first time! knowing you just hit the point of no return! i think it makes you more determined to do it right first time round.

you know i didn't! i cut the front fender up and started to creat the wide fender....it went pear shaped, so i cut off that and started again, and again it didn't come out right! so to give myself a break from this i cut the rear panel out and part of the inner arch, i then cut a strip of steel and tacked that in place extending the inner arch by 125mm then started to form the outter to that. this option i dont have fro the front fenders, there is simply nothing to work off.

its a real scary project one that gives me mixed feelings already that... yes i will complete the rears but at the same time unsure about the fronts. i have also had to lengthen the rear bumper by 3 inch so it meets the rear fender, i done this by cutting a direct straight line out of the bumper and riveting a piece of alu between it to connect it then use bridger to fill the gap and smooth it over.

to give your selves an idea of how scary it is.....grab yourself a grinder and stand by your car. its enough to make a grown man cry...and i did shed a tear when i made the first cut.

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks
    ok little update...

one rear 1/4 is finished, hard part is matching it perfectly on the other side. the fronts i'm going to have major issues with unless i reconfigure the whole suspension, i cant have the wheels inverted on the front it will severely unbalance the car in a turn, so 'ill have to add 7" to everything on the front....some how?

but anyway... rear fender.

i put a piece in for the runner just for effect, the one that will go in will be a thicker sheet of alloy

thats a fat ass!

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks
    other rear now its looking Fat and Phat!
    first couple i managed to take some time out to snap the build on the inner arch... the rest follow.

right decided not to go very wide with the front fenders, i can make this look right with a subtle change of 2.5" at the start of the arch to 1.5" at the top raising to 3" on the back side, this keeps the fender in a direct straight drop and follows the wheel line perfectly. also the side skirt will flow in a slight curve to the rear fender in keeping with the original shape of the car and not so much of a stride to get in and out. altho it would have been terrific to watch saz tryin to get in and out with a skirt on

i'm not putting any more pics up now til i'm ready for paint, so you guys will have to wait for the major updates which will probably be early next week.....

wait i'm skint so i'll be workin on it all weekend too... maybe sunday before updates lol
    well i'm a day early but today (since 5.30
    am) i have made good progress.... here are some updates. tell me what you think and any comments suggestions on the side skirt.

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks

lol oops!....
    car fell of the jack stands luckely it stopped when it hit the floor.

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks
    getting on with the front splitter now....fiberglassing isnt really that hard apart from you make the mold inside out lol. use my kneeling foam pad and cut a curve popped it in trash bags and made the bulk of the splitter only thing is i got to do it in 2 halfs. also made a brake vent in the front bumper easy when its been extended anyway

also if you look back at the rear vent you will see a louvered back plate to stop shit going onto the body from the wheel.... kinda ingenious because thats half of a porsche 944 alu underguard

just noticed the dates on the pics....ignore those. i didn't have this car in '07 lol
    after some delegation with the front splitter today and putting some wheels back together and finishing off the fabrication of the running boards i managed to get the bugger on its feet. the splitter needs to come down 2 inch , my rear wheel rubs the arch on one side... kinda thinking that the shock there is the bad one its the only one that rubs. but apart from this and the fact i have been fighting my way through the pain again today... here are some pics.....

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks

i think the front needs to be wider or i need to put something between the front and rear fenders? but thats just me and if i do i'll be a mile off how the car should look... in all honesty looking at it in the daylight its a mile off anyway ..... still looks phat tho

itsy bitsy update.......

i realised i had no fuel filler and tomake the neck/cup and everything els then buy an alu filler cap.... aint got the money so i used what i have....... the original door and cup. just moved it to the top of the fender... actually looks better than alu ones, looks like its meant to be there

it allstill functions on the lever too so double bonus

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks
    pics... or some

ok pics are a bit shit, cant find the white balance on the camera (its saz's cam) here goes...

this is only a test side to see how it would look. the real work starts tomorrow. sanding, smoothing etc etc then paint thursday

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks
    small teaser. took these with my cell on purpose!

the car will go in full color possibly saturday maybe tomorrow afternoon? but here is something for you ugly lot to jack off to :P