Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Crank Scrapers for 6G72?

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Parker View Post
    Back on topic.

Does anyone have any pictures as to where the scrapers actually sit in the block for our engines?
    Don't have a pic, but the scraper fits between the oil pan and the block. Most set ups use a scraper on one side and a spacer on the other. Does this increase the possibility of oil leaking at the pan/block joint? Yes. But, if properly assembled, leakage isn't much more likely than stock.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostaddict View Post
    I have two Ishihara-Johnson 6g72 4-bolt windage trays for sale. $200/shipped each.

This is a 2-piece tray design and is very well designed/made. Highly recommended for oil control on any high performance engine. This windage tray in combination with upgraded oil pump gears is the ultimate way to go on a 6g72. Compatible with ARP or stock bottom end hardware. Paypal is boostaddict@hotmail.com. Link to the last ones I had for sale (crank scrapers not included in this sale):
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostaddict View Post
    I have three 4-bolt 6g72 windage tray/crank scraper kits for sale. These parts are made by Ishihara-Johnson Crank Scrapers (Home). This is a 2-piece tray design and is very well designed/made. Highly recommended for oil control on any high performance engine. This kit in combination with upgraded oil pump gears is the way to go. Compatible with ARP or stock bottom end hardware. I’m selling these for $275/shipped for each set (one windage tray and one crank scraper pair). Paypal is boostaddict@hotmail.com. I can ship immediately. Let me know if you have any questions.

Edit: Two sold, one left.
    thought i would share
    Last edited by mb7050; 03-01-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Huh? verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Just saw this thread. I was able to get the windage trays made for both our 4-bolt and 2-bolt 6g72 engines. I actually provided some feedback for an existing scraper pattern that IJ already had on hand. I'll be honest the scraper design is just okay. All I did was provide some clearancing tweaks to get it to work. If I was going to re-design it from scratch I'd add a little meat here and there but its difficult and time consuming to wait for new parts. If you remove your oil pan a few times the scraper will get gnarled up and need to be replaced. On my current build I just left the scrapers off but wouldn't go without the windage tray which is an amazing piece IMO.
    1993 3ooogt vr4
    Big single turbo and every other mod...
    Powered by BorgWarner

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Boostaddict For This Useful Post:

Advanced Tech? verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    hmm... came across something interesting.

Assessing the Windage Tray Blockage Effect on Aeration in the Oil Sump

Aeration at the oil pump inlet was measured by X-ray absorption in a production V-6 SI engine motoring at 2000 to 6000 rpm. Within experimental uncertainty, these windage tray changes had no effect on aeration. Thus activities in the sump such as the interaction of the oil drops spun from the crank shaft with the sump oil or with the windage tray, and the agitation of the sump oil by the crank case gas, were not major contributors to aeration at the pump inlet.
    edit (I think this is the same basic paper, just in academic form):
    http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/hand.../166145859.pdf
    Tests were then performed which varied parameters such as engine speed, oil volume, and hardware design. Specifically, multiple designs of the windage tray, an engine component that separates the oil sump from the rotating crankshaft, were tested.

Testing revealed that within the tolerance of the Air-X machine, the extent of the windage tray open area has no significant affect (sic) on the aeration level.
    It looks like for this experiment, the scrapers had a clearance of 5 mm and they varied the windage tray mesh from 2 wires per inch down to 14 wires per inch. See figures 4-10 (5 liters oil) and 4-11 (6 liters oil) for final results.

i love when people do science.
    Last edited by i3igpete; 09-26-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    Maddog Performance Engineering

Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

Thanks
    Only necc for higher RPM?

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Considering these devices were originally developed for all out drag race engines where operating between 2k and 6k rpm only happens on the way to and from the actual race, it comes as no surprise there is little impact on aeration in that range. Further, aeration mostly occurs at high rpm WOT and so that's the test of value for the device(s).

Scientific studies most often start with a conclusion, then generate results to confirm that conclusion. Their other purpose is to generate debate/controversy so as to stimulate funding.

If these products did not improve race engine performance in measurable/repeatable testing, none of the top professional race teams would use them. All of them use them. Every one of the top teams and 95+% of all the second tier teams use them as well.

Conclusion: If you never "banzai" your car to 7K at wot, don't bother with these devices. If you find your engine making the odd occasional excursion past 6K at wot (sometimes them turbos just have a mind of their own), you might want to consider these items as cheap insurance against oil pan failure. As in the oil pan failed to contain the connecting rods. Just my 1.5 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Fast View Post
    Only necc for higher RPM?
    Last edited by BaadVR4; 09-27-2011 at 06:04 AM.

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Do you know what the revival of this thread reminds me of?... Steve68, I miss that moron, making fun of his pure idiocy made my day, every day.
    Photobucket

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    August 2003

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Parker View Post
    Do you know what the revival of this thread reminds me of?... Steve68, I miss that moron, making fun of his pure idiocy made my day, every day.
    What happened to him? I just noticed he wasn't around anymore.

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    He was ban not long after this thread died off, he was spreading far too much mis information.