Thread: wideband vs narrowband?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

wideband vs narrowband?

So my AEM wb reads 10 flat at WOT while my O2's are running around .94 -.96.
    Both O2s and WB have been in the car for at most 6k miles. I also have a snow performance w/m kit installed (625ml/min) on the car that uses a progressive style controller. Now with the w/m, I should be able to run a little bit more of an aggressive AFR than a 10 flat. I just don't know if I should believe the nb o2's or the wb.
    Trying to lean it out a little did show small traces of knock. Not enough to pull timing or anything but still something I'm not very comfortable with. I do have a high mileage car which is a factor I consider before getting too aggressive. Any thoughts on this at all?

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0 HLxDrummer's Avatar
    Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks
    Stock injectors? What are you using to tune?

10 flat is pretty rich and you should be able to lean it out close to 11:1 on most setups without much knock.

Are both NBO2s reading .94-.96?

Owner Since

Thanks
    A narrowband ONLY reads rich/lean. It is a low/high device. The raw voltages it provides are very temperature sensitive and are effectively meaningless.

So your wideband is reading "10:1" and your narrowband is reading "rich" - which is self-consistant.

DG

BTW, somebody has a center tag in their sig and no closing tag; it is screwing up the text display on the board.
    Last edited by DG; 02-24-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Forum User Not Verified
    Feedback Score 6 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    i've seen 10.2 :1 read .96 on narrowbands

you are within the range of what a narrowband might read. I would always trust the wideband over the narrowband if the sensor is not old. If you run the wideband daily and it is getting to be 6 months old you may want to consider replacement. Their lifespan is greater than that, but if you are going to trust them to make major changes to your tune a fresh one is best.

Posting a datalog would allow us to help a lot more.

Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

Owner Since

Thanks
    I have 660cc injectors and tuning with SAFCII + SITC.
    I understand that 10 flat is pretty rich, but leaning it out seems to bring out knock. Which bothers me since I'm running w/m injection. I do have to deal with using CA's 91 octane but still seems kind of rediculous.
    And yes.. both o2s are reading .94-.96.

6 months is a pretty short time line. I know for a fact that nb/wb were all installed after August of last year.
    And I own a 95.. I'm adding that because I believe you can make the nb run a little leaner on first gens..

I don't have access to any of my datalogs right now but let me see if I can get some.

Owner Since

Thanks
    here's some logs.. they're honestly not the most ideal ones but its all i got atm.

Dec_5_2010 second_gear_bad_coil_zeroITC.xls

Nov_22_2010 20gain_60set_17psi.xls

this one had a weird boost building issue.. I included some videos to show it. My cotter pin on my rear turbo disappeared so I put another one in but think i either need to shim the wastegate or i blew the turbo.
    Jan_21_2011 second_gear_90set_22psi.xls

and a video of me getting spanked since i already took up so much of your time..
    Last edited by vTaKwiTHsLiCkS; 03-02-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Owner Since

Thanks
    *sigh*

Attempting to read a narrowband output was discovered to be ineffective in like 1999. There is no meaningful information to be gained from a narrowband voltage reading aside from "it is low, so lean" and "it is high, so rich"

Let me say it again - a narrowband voltage of 0.94V means the same thing as a voltage of 0.98V - RICH. That is it. Any attempt to read anything else into that - eg "0.98V is richer than 0.94V" is WRONG and will lead you far, far down the garden path.

If you are tuning, you need a wideband. End of story.

DG

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    *sigh*

Attempting to read a narrowband output was discovered to be ineffective in like 1999. There is no meaningful information to be gained from a narrowband voltage reading aside from "it is low, so lean" and "it is high, so rich"

Let me say it again - a narrowband voltage of 0.94V means the same thing as a voltage of 0.98V - RICH. That is it. Any attempt to read anything else into that - eg "0.98V is richer than 0.94V" is WRONG and will lead you far, far down the garden path.

If you are tuning, you need a wideband. End of story.

DG
    I wouldn't even bother trying to tune without a wideband. You can get in the ballpark with a narrowband and watching the knock counts, but why risk an engine?
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝