Thread: Convert 2nd gen to 1st gen door lock cylinders? 3 wire to 2 wire. Mine broke off.

Riding topless!! verified
    Owner Since
    Owned 8 3s since 2005.

Thanks

Convert 2nd gen to 1st gen door lock cylinders? 3 wire to 2 wire. Mine broke off.

The plastic part behind the door lock cylinder broke off. Likely that is the reason for the alarm always being tripped since there was no signal being sent when you lock or unlock with the key.

If you look at the pics you can see the differences. The 1st gen locks only have a 2 wire and the 2nd gen has a 3 wire. The 1st gen has a much larger connector and the lock cylinder mechanism is set up differently. The rotating part that senses the lock unlock is in the middle on the 1st gen and capped on the end on a 2nd gen.

Is there a way to convert or use the 1st gen? I have a complete lock set for the 1st gen and would like to use that. Unfortunately I'm using two keys with the spyder since the doors don't match the ignition key.

Owner Since
    Owned 8 3s since 2005.

Thanks
    Looked up the wire diagram. It's not immediately clear what pin 1 2 3 go to exactly.

Forum User supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have a friend that is a locksmith. After hanging out with him for the last several years I would suggest that you call a locksmith in your area. 1 you can get the car the doors cylinders that you currently have keyed to the same key. 2. They may have the information that you need to make the swap. Surprisingly depending on the car and the job needed done, locksmiths are actually a cheaper route than most expect

Brandon

Owner Since
    Owned 8 3s since 2005.

Thanks
    I did call a locksmith... I'm almost always a DIY kinda person. So it never even crossed my mind to try and get a locksmith. I didn't even know you could change the cylinders to match the ignition keys. Instead of fighting with changing the harness to a 1st gen or breaking up my good set for the other VR4 I just went with the locksmith. They are changing out the tumblers in the door lock cylinders to match my existing ignition key. NICE!

Only $40 total plus an extra set of keys.

I will just swap the good harness over to the driver side but for the passenger, I'm still stuck with finding a replacement harness. Just for clarification, it's the one that come directly out of the door lock cylinder. Any ideas???
    Last edited by Gearheadvr4; 02-23-2011 at 03:51 AM.

Forum User supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I am a DIY person myself, but after running around with my buddy, there are a lot of things locksmiths can do cheaply. I have learned a lot about automotive key systems and commercial systems over the last couple of years.

As for the piece you are needing.. I would check out Hans and Emilie at 3S Warehouse /GZP and see if they can help you out there.

Brandon

Owner Since
    Owned 8 3s since 2005.

Thanks
    I had a vender offer me the harness for $30. That seemed high.

Crazy, I checked around and I could buy door handles with the harness for that. I think I may have someone on the "other site" that may send me one free if I cover shipping.
    Last edited by Gearheadvr4; 02-24-2011 at 10:48 PM.