Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking off the timing belt, step by step?

Forum User Feedback Score 0 Danube_3KGT's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Taking off the timing belt, step by step?

Im kind of looking for someone who can tell me what all needs to come off, and where/how it does in order to get to the timing belt.. I need to know ho to get all the serpentine belts off and stuff so I can get everything but the crank shaft off and ready for when my friend gets here tomorrow with the impact wrench..

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    John's Repair Center

Ignore the steps that are about removing the radiator, you can pull the timing belt without removing the radiator. Do the steps up to where you start taking off the water pump and stop, that doesn't need to come off unless you're doing the 60K. While you're at it, I'd spin everything (except for the cams and crank) to make sure they spin smoothly and don't bind. When you're done doing your maintenance (I assume not a 60K, idk) jump to step 26 and install the belt.

Oh, and you don't need an impact wrench for any of it. You can either put it in gear (manual tranny, TQ convertor would just slip) and have someone hold the brakes and you push really hard, or (and IMO, not quite as safe if you're not careful) brace a breaker bar on the subframe and bump the starter to break the crank bolt loose (make sure you're doing it in the right direction!).
    Last edited by DocWalt; 02-16-2011 at 01:38 PM.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Forum User Feedback Score 0 AdamVR4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    What happened to team3S?

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamVR4 View Post
    What happened to team3S?
    I'm pretty sure it went down a while ago, or I would have linked him there as well.

Administrator Feedback Score 3 (100%) Alan92RTTT's Avatar
    Owner Since
    02/1998

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The person that owned the team3s domain passed away. The group is working through the process of getting the name back and getting hosing worked out. The mailing list still works.

Owner Since

Thanks
    yea, people kept telling me to check team3S's guide, but the sites been down.. Thanks for the help.. Its been 2 months since I got to drive my car and Im hurting to get this fixed.. my fiance is pregnant and is due in less then a month and I hate the idea of taking her car to work and her being home alone without a car in case something happens.. I need to make sure I didnt bend any valves as well though.. Im starting to go crazy..

Diamonds and Rust Feedback Score 1 (100%) gltasn's Avatar
    Owner Since
    1-11-01

Thanks
    just keep reading it over and over and it will all start to make sense. just dont jack it up by the pan!

Owner Since

Thanks
    We did jack the engine up by the oil pan, how ever we put a board between the jack and the pan to help disperse the weight.. seems how ever I have bigger problems.. I turned the crank shaft tonight and have piston smack? i think its called.. so pretty much, I know I have a valve bent, probably more.. So some how, with a kid due on the 9th I have to figure out how Im going to get this all fixed before I get so pissed I just sell it..

Why? Because Race Car. verified Feedback Score 0 akotten's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danube_3KGT View Post
    We did jack the engine up by the oil pan, how ever we put a board between the jack and the pan to help disperse the weight.. seems how ever I have bigger problems.. I turned the crank shaft tonight and have piston smack? i think its called.. so pretty much, I know I have a valve bent, probably more.. So some how, with a kid due on the 9th I have to figure out how Im going to get this all fixed before I get so pissed I just sell it..
    That and you probably just dented your oil pan. NEVER jack up the car using the oil pan. There is no reason to ever consider it.

Beamed from my Droid X
    91 R/T TT
    Mods: RC 550s, Stillen Downpipe, Stillen Cross-Drilled Rotors, HKS Exhaust, HKS VPC, HKS EBC, HKS Turbo Timber, HKS Twin Power, HKS SSQV BOV, HKS SMIC, HKS Fuel Pump, Wiseco Pistons, 3SX Rods, Ferrera SS Valves, 3rd Gen Lifters, 15G Turbos, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, B&M FMOC, Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley, EGR blockoff.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 AdamVR4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by akotten View Post
    That and you probably just dented your oil pan. NEVER jack up the car using the oil pan. There is no reason to ever consider it.
    Way to kick him when he's down. A board alone may be sufficient, but I've always used a board and towels and never dented a pan.

You could have at least mentioned that the alternative is to use the AC compressor bracket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast