Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoke at idle

I Kill Threads verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Goallie11's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Smoke at idle

I recently put new turbo's, injectors, walbro and an emanage blue in and now the car smokes at idle, but no other time its seems. Tomorrow I'm going to be followed around by a friend and verify that it only smokes at idle.

It's a white smoke but it smells like oil so I'm not really sure what the cause is. I was going to replace my pcv valve because I read of it causing this sometimes, but also having leaking vss will cause the same problem from what I read.

When I took my pcv valve off to test it, I really couldn't blow through any direction with a noticeable amount of air coming out the other side. This included blowing into the threaded side, in which an amount of air so small came out that I don't know if I was imagining it or not, and through the nipple side, which no air came out of. It also didn't rattle for a while until I just kept shaking it and it finally started but didn't do it with ease.

The turbo's have a little shaft play but aren't touching the walls of the turbo. And since I've put all this stuff in I've only boosted once when trying to tune and that was only 9 psi peak so I don't believe I ruined anything.

What's the most likely culprit? Should I order a new PCV valve first?
    1992 3000GT VR-4
    DR650s,Denso 550 injectors, Walbro 255, Emanage Blue,3SX Cat Eliminator Downpipe,Short Shifter,DNP Hardpipe Kit,HKS SSQV,Underdrive pulley,Carbotech slotted rotors,RPS Lightweight Flywheel, Maximal Solid Mounts

Padawan garage troll Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Roybatty's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Last time I did a search on smoke everything at idle points to VSS. It is hard to tell smoke color, when mine was blowing smoke @ decel from boost I was sure it was white, but after doing much reading on different smoke and colors and reasons I realized mine was from boost getting in crankcase. It does sound like your PCV is gunked up, it should rattle easy, and can be cleaned, but its also cheap to get a new one. People bitch about the PCV being inadequate but there is a consensus to stick with OEM when you get one.

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Your PCV valve needs either replaced, or cleaned out with a solvent of some sort. That could be your entire issue, but I had smoke at idle from VSS... Had them replaced, and had less smoke for a while, but I think one of the oil rings had a nick or something, it got kinda bad again.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    The PCV valve is defiantly not working right. I honestly would recommend everybody that doesn't have to deal with getting tested for emissions do away with this crappy PCV system. It seems to be the root of all evil with these cars. Vent the crank case to catch can or to atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Owner Since

Thanks
    Well I don't have emissions so should I just get a catch can instead of replacing the valve? And what about venting to atmosphere, I haven't heard about this way.

I figure I'll make up my mind tomorrow about what to do so I can get back to tuning the car instead of being fearful of the smoke.

Oh and I forgot to add in the first post but it doesn't seem to be burning anything at all when checking the oil and coolant. But of course it could be such a small amount the difference isn't noticeable.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 FluffyCow's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    From what i've read you'll smoke at idle if you vent to atmosphere or a catch can since the PCV allows the VSS to seal.

I've got the smoke at idle issue as well, and I have replaced my PCV with a brand new OEM one, and it still happens(Though original smoke was from a turbo that self destructed, but it was smoke ALL the time, like, REAL bad..), so I think it might be VSS. It also only happens when cold, or after a period of driving at a low RPM(like idling in first in a parking lot or bad traffic).

1991 Dodge Stealth ES
    - Sold
    1991 Fiji/Mystic Blue R/T TT 1 of 235(paint/R/T TT only, can't find more info, VIN is a 1 of none number)
    Sold.
    1992 silver VR-4 - 1 of 152 identical
    Show: 99 Sails, 99 rear garnish, 2nd-gen steering wheel, Pioneer Premier h/u, aftermarket speakers(Alpine type s's I think), 10 inch JL W1 sub in spnallb corner box.
    Go: 15G Turbos, FMIC, ATR DP, ACT clutch, 3-inch turbo back to dual apexi N1 mufflers, no cats, HKS SSQV3 BOV(black), PWR rad, Ksport coilovers, 3sx rear adj. control arms, ChromedECU, ECU Boost control, rebuilt TB, Cianci gauge pod w/ Defi D-series(Boost, EGT, oil pres), 93 shifter.
    Soon: 550cc injectors, ChromeTune, boosties!

1987 Dodge Ramcharger - The back-up plan/winter beater. Mods: Non-computerized timing, custom white gauge faces and red LED illumination, cat-back straight pipe, Chevy seats, Ford running boards, and MOPAR everything else.
    Wife's ride: 2014 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Wifeboosties, go!
    Family-mobile: 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan. Dogs love minivans!

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%) bluzvr4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    mine will smoke if i rev it up. it only smokes when i let off tho. it smokes bad when i let off but it doesnt smoke or if it does very little while at idle. this may be a dumb question but was is vss? is it variable speed sensor? if so how can u tell if its what is bad? sorry to thread jack

Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    vss = valve stem seals

You shouldn't smoke at idle with no vacuum if you have brand new vss, but I bet with age they'd start to leak and cause smoke. I'd keep the PCV, but run a catchcan.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Can you show me where some info on running a catch can and PCV so I can look into that avenue Doc?

Fluffy, I haven't read of anyone smoking after replacing their PCV valve when it was actually the culprit with a catch can or similar.

Am I Sade to drive it while it smokes like this? Other then this issue it runs perfectly fine.

Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You simply mount a catch can near the t-stat housing, and run a line from the PCV valve into the catch can, and run a line to the lower intake manifold. You can also add a mini catch-can (plastic fuel filter or something) on the line from the rear valve cover to the intake bubble if you want, just to keep the rear turbo from sucking as much oil.

It's not great on the seals and rings if you have a totally bad PCV system, but I'm sure thousands of 3S owners do it every day without knowing any better with no major issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast