Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '91 DSM...No Fuel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Secret Lurker Man! verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since
    7/10/06 or somethin

Thanks

'91 DSM...No Fuel

I'm tryin to find the answer to my question, but the DSM forums seem to be dead with answers to my question.

I've got no fuel...Fuel pump works, filter is new as of today. I'm thinking it's electrical, I've got spark, and I've got power to the injectors, ECU has been rebuilt and CAPS look fine, I'm not sure what it could be...

If a relay or electrical were bad, I'd think there'd be no power to the injectors or fuel being pumped...only thing I can think is, bad grounding to the injector wiring harness?

Thoughts...? These cars are just about the same as ours...someone's gotta have somethin for me to test next!? Right!? ha

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Just because the caps look fine doesn't mean there is not an issue elsewhere with the ECU. I had something short out and cause a short on the board of my TSI.

If you know another DSM guy in your area have him come over and put your ecu into his car. If there is no fuel then you found your answer.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) RealMcCoy's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The answers will vary depending on what it is....

1.8? 2.0? 2.0 turbo?

Real Performance Automotive (541)816-4500 www.FB.com/RealPerformanceAuto

Owner Since
    7/10/06 or somethin

Thanks
    I don't know any other DSM'ers....and sorry, I forgot to add that info I guess, it's a GSX

Owner Since

Thanks
    What do you mean by you have no fuel? Do you have fuel pressure? are the injectors not being signaled?

Owner Since
    7/10/06 or somethin

Thanks
    No fuel...I have pressure...pump works fine, with the key in the on position, I've got voltage to the injectors so there's power there...I've read the CAS can be a problem, but I've got spark, so it's not gonna be the CAS it seems to me the there's no injector pulse which from what I've read, is either gonna be an ECU issue or bad grounding somewhere for the injector harness?

Owner Since

Thanks
    How did you check for power at the injectors? I've seen bad connections or bad resistor packs show voltage under no load, but give up if any current tries to flow.

I use an old incandesant headlamp to load circuits like that. If it will light up that lamp with no voltage drop, you know the circuit is fine.

Your thinking is correct on the rest of it. Given you have spark and fuel pressure,(that tells us the fuel pump side of the MPFI relay is working and you have an RPM signal.) and you have power to the inlectors, (that means the MPFI relay is working.(the fact the CAS was working pretty much told us that anyway)) the reasonable conclusion is that the injector drivers in the ECU are bad, or there's an ECU ground problem.

Have you checked for codes yet?

I would probably go about testing it by hooking up a datalogger or scan tool, check for codes, check that there is an RPM signal being reported, and that there is a commanded injector pulse. If that checks out, I'd grab a handfull of jumper wires, hook my headlamp up to an injector connector, go inside and yank the ECU, jumper that injector circuit to the ECU ground circuit, and see if it lights up. If it does, then you know the injector circuit is good. I'd then confirm the injector itself was good. From there I would feel pretty comfortable condemning the ECU.

Owner Since
    7/10/06 or somethin

Thanks
    I checked the injectors by turning the key to the on position and using a test light at the injector plug to see if there was power, used an engine mount for ground. The car threw code 44 ignition...it didn't have spark, but after plugs and wires it seems fine, I'm suspecting a possible faulty PTU if that problem comes back, I've also read that code is a common problem and doesn't have an actual reason for being thrown but some have traced it back to a harness plug coming lose (From what I've read on the DSM forums).

Quote Originally Posted by RealMcCoy View Post
    I'd grab a handfull of jumper wires, hook my headlamp up to an injector connector, go inside and yank the ECU, jumper that injector circuit to the ECU ground circuit, and see if it lights up. If it does, then you know the injector circuit is good. I'd then confirm the injector itself was good. From there I would feel pretty comfortable condemning the ECU.
    I think this is about where I'm at now...I don't know how to do this though, I need a pinout of the ECU, correct?

Forum User Feedback Score 0 19Eclipse90's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Sep 2004

Thanks
    If you do, here you go: 1G ECU Pinouts

You may have a faulty injector resistor pack, so it may be worth your while to test it. Without this in place or with it not working correctly, the injectors can burn out: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newb...#post152171958
    Last edited by 19Eclipse90; 02-14-2011 at 09:24 PM.
    -Brian

Owner Since
    7/10/06 or somethin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 19Eclipse90 View Post
    If you do, here you go: 1G ECU Pinouts

You may have a faulty injector resistor pack, so it may be worth your while to test it. Without this in place or with it not working correctly, the injectors can burn out: 1G Bad injector resistor box? How to test it? - DSM Forums
    Thanks for that info. I'm busy till next weekend on my days off, but that'll save me some searchin! I'm gonna take a guess that my resistor pack is good since I'm gettin voltage to the injectors, but at least I can test it real quick now, I'm gonna have to dig a little deeper with testing things to see if it's infact the ECU...right now, I'm leaning towards that...but we'll see what I find with my testings.

If anyone else has some other things to test, please let me know and let me know how to do it as well...

So far, I'm going to test the resistors, test the injector connectors again...and I want to test the injector circuit, I'm guessing the way I do this is to look at the pinout and find the ECU ground and connect a test light at each injector connector, and supply - and + to the ECU plugins for the injector harness and see if the light lights up, confirming the harness to be good or bad, if that passes then I'll have to pull the injectors, and supply power and ground while having fuel pressure and seeing if the injector is indeed functioning, if those all pass, then I'll have to say it's the ECU injector drivers, correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast