Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggest a cliutch for 2-3 track days a month for 450 awhp, where to buy and avg cost.

Venom GT... I need a lotto ticket verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) Vince86's Avatar
    Owner Since
    March 2009

Thanks

Suggest a cliutch for 2-3 track days a month for 450 awhp, where to buy and avg cost.

Well its high time to replace stock clutch. went to track last year and it slipped/stuck a lot not allowing me a good launch. I have never done a clutch change before and know nothing of what ones are good or bad. i read about spec going downhill and this and that about others but i need good info as to what all ill need to change a clutch, where and which one I should get for my purpose.

Looking for good performance for launch and something that's not too bad on the leg but im sure ill be ok if its a little stiff. Lower the cost the better so i can spend more in other areas but i wont go el'cheapo and screw myself. I did find 316's clutch guide, seems to be ok to follow I guess but im sure ill have issues. All help is appreciated thank you guys

Also just noticed the mistype on clutch... sob
    Last edited by Vince86; 02-12-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Forum User Feedback Score 13 (100%) Austin@STM's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I would recommend something along the lines of a ACT with a street disk, or clutch masters fx300, nothing to crazy, so it still has a good pedal without killing your leg everytime you drive. If you still have the clutch assist hooked up, they really wont be bad at all.

Spec clutches arent bad either, some people dont like them but mine never gave me issues, and i beat the crap out of it. I launched the car in second gear ( on purpose ), clutch slipped to the 1/8th mile, and it still worked after that.

-Austin@STM

-Ricer Evo 8: 8.75 @ 166 Best MPH of 167. Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in The US!!!
    -Chris Cessna's Stock short block Evo 8: 9.76@150 Worlds Fastest Stock Motor Evo 8 and First Stock Block In The 9's!
    -Shawna's DD Evo 8: 9.97@143.88 Best MPH of 145 Full leather interior, A/C, navigation, stock brakes, cruisin 9's in style
    -Cory's Stock 7 bolt talon: 10.3@136 No crank walk here...
    -STM Stock turbo/motor Stealth RT: 10.95@127 Worlds Quyickest/Fastest and most powerful Stock turbo/ motor 3S
    -James STM built Pump gas Evo8 stock motor: 10.2@137 Stock long block, and only on pump gas!
    -Mike Faggiano Evo3 16g stock motor 1g 11.0@124 just a 16g knockin on 10's door.
    And the list goes on...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Austin@STM For This Useful Post:

Venom GT... I need a lotto ticket verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) Vince86's Avatar
    Owner Since
    March 2009

Thanks
    what am i looking at all together you think price wise?

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 3 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I use a South Bend Stage 3 from IPS. I have had it on my DD with some trips to the drag strip for 2 years now and it is still holding up nicely. I have around the same HP as you also. I think I paid around 450 for the clutch kit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to whitedevilstealth For This Useful Post:

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    South Bend Street Series, their stage 2 or greater, even their 750ft/lb tq rated clutch is supposed to be very smooth and very DD capable

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fakepower For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    South Bend.
    2009 BMW M3. No cats, intake and tune.
    2003 Acura TL
    1993 3000GT VR4 IPS TD05 E16G 506awhp@22psi Pump 92

Owner Since
    March 2009

Thanks
    sounds like a partial crowd to south bend, i think ill go that route, where would you purchase said clutch then suggest a site? in the meantime ill browse around.

EDIT: so far best prices for spec stage 2 plus unsprung im finding 480 before ship and southbend stage 3 for 475 Shipped. prices from IPS and 3sx.

Next question is there are two southbend stage 3's one is 475 and the other is 525, 475 is DXD and other is OFE is the price difference worth it in my case?
    Last edited by Vince86; 02-13-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince86 View Post
    sounds like a partial crowd to south bend, i think ill go that route, where would you purchase said clutch then suggest a site? in the meantime ill browse around.

EDIT: so far best prices for spec stage 2 plus unsprung im finding 480 before ship and southbend stage 3 for 475 Shipped. prices from IPS and 3sx.

Next question is there are two southbend stage 3's one is 475 and the other is 525, 475 is DXD and other is OFE is the price difference worth it in my case?
    I have the DXD and it holds my power with no problem. However the engagement is somewhat harsh.

Forum User Not Verified
    Feedback Score 6 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    act or rps with street disc

Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince86 View Post

Go to the Southbend Clutch website, it will make it clear what the difference is (they have pictures). One is likely a street disc, the other is probably a puck clutch, just going off memory the OFE is the street disc clutch, the DXD is the track puck style clutch.

and who/where did you find your avatar?

Opps forgot you can buy southbend direct or thru IPS (dont know if anyone else sells them, going from memory) the southbend guys are great, they have a guy that races a porsche at road america, and him and i got into a convo for like 45minutes just shootin the shit. they seem like a very good company with good people. I've yet to hear a negative review of their clutches.
    Last edited by Fakepower; 02-15-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast