Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IM INNOCENT (I think) Help me fight my Citation! (Fail to stop/yield)

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks

IM INNOCENT (I think) Help me fight my Citation! (Fail to stop/yield)

Alright so I got a ticket about 2 weeks ago, and the ticket says DRIVING-STOP SIGN-FAIL TO STOP AND/OR YIELD FROM. So I guess I'll start with the story.

I was doing some homework one night at my friend's apartment. Here is a link to the google map of the place.
    So I was at where the red arrow is on the map. I followed that road that goes diagonally away from it and took a right on 4th street, which is a one way. I went down 4th a little ways, then turned left on Ford St., which isn't really even a street, it's pretty much a little path through a big parking lot. I then went all the way up to 5th street and took a left turn on 5th, which is a one-way going left on the map. It was late at night and I was tired so I didn't come to a complete stop when I turned, I was going maybe 2 mph around the turn. When I turned, there was a car in my lane, but it was plenty far enough back that I definitely did not cut him off. He was about at where the "S" is on the "S 5th Ave" is on the map. Of course, that car just happened to be a cop.

Anyways, he pulled me over and asked me if there was a reason why I ran the stop sign back there. I told him I was just tired and still had more homework and just wanted to get home. He also said that it was no big deal, he didn't have to even touch the brake, just let off the gas a LITTLE bit. He took all my insurance stuff and came back with a DRIVING-STOP SIGN-FAIL TO STOP AND/OR YIELD FROM citation. After that I just went home.

The next day, I was on my way home from a friend's house and drove by the place where I "ran" the "stop sign", and to my surprise, there was no stop sign or stop line. If I would have noticed this the night before, I would have told the cop that there wasn't one, but I just figured that since he pulled me over there had to be one there. I went back and took some pictures of the sign and the ground where there would be a stop line if it had one....

I looked up the Idaho code for the violation that the citation was written out for. Here it is:

TITLE 49
    MOTOR VEHICLES
    CHAPTER 8
    SIGNS, SIGNALS AND MARKINGS
    49-807. STOP SIGNS AND YIELD SIGNS. (1) Preferential right-of-way may be
    indicated by stop signs or yield signs as authorized in section 49-212, Idaho
    Code.
    (2) Except when directed to proceed by a peace officer or traffic-control
    signal, every driver of a vehicle approaching a stop sign shall stop:
    (a) at a clearly marked stop line, or
    (b) before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection,
    or
    (c) at the point nearest the intersecting highway where the driver has a
    view of approaching traffic on the intersecting highway before entering
    it.
    After having stopped, the driver shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle
    in the intersection or approaching on another highway so closely as to
    constitute an immediate hazard during the time when such driver is moving
    across or within the intersection or junction of highways.

So the question is now, do any of you think that I could get this ticket dropped, since there is no stop sign, yield sign, or stop line? I really don't feel like paying $85 for this and getting more points on my record, since it is a moving violation...
    Last edited by vlorion; 02-11-2011 at 01:14 AM.
    1991 3000gt Vr4--Sold
    1997 Toyota Supra TT Targa
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja zx6rr

Southernmost 3S Owner supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    It would help if you had a date stamp on the photos, but it seems pretty obvious that the officer was in error for citing you and any decent judge should dismiss the charge. Also, the road sign indicates that it's a private road, so the officer shouldn't have any jurisdiction there, only on public roads.

2015 NG: Best in Show. Best Custom Interior. Best Custom Exterior. 2nd place,Best Engine Bay. 2nd place,Best 1st Gen. 2nd place,Longest distance driven. 3rd place, Coolest Accessories. 3rd place, Autocross Class 2
    2014 NG: Best in Show. Best 1st Gen. 2nd place, Best Interior. 2nd place, Furthest Distance Driven. 3rd Place, Peoples Choice. 3rd place, Best Engine Bay. 3rd place, Best Custom Exterior
    2013 NG: 1st place, FWD Drags
    2011 NG: Best Overall and Best 1st Gen. 3rd place Autocross FWD Modified and FWD Drags
    2009 NG: Best 1st Gen 3S and Best Interior. 3rd place, Autocross, FWD Modified.

Mods include 18in. Moda wheels and BF Goodrich KDW's, Tein Flex suspension, R1 Concepts rotors, 3SX stainless steel engine dress up kit. Blue/black carbon fiber 575 hood, VLS and a full RT conversion. Audio mods include a Kenwood DVD touch screen HU, Kenwood speakers, Memphis audio 5 channel amp and 12" Subs. Corbeau Leather seats, carbon fiber dash trim and HID upgrade.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 93STLTH View Post
    It would help if you had a date stamp on the photos, but it seems pretty obvious that the officer was in error for citing you and any decent judge should dismiss the charge. Also, the road sign indicates that it's a private road, so the officer shouldn't have any jurisdiction there, only on public roads.
    This is dead on. If there is no sign, how can you disobey it?

1993 3000GT VR-4

MHI 16-T's and supporting mods.

Stuper Moderator
    Owner Since
    January 2003

Thanks
    Glad I read it all the way through. At first I thought, you just admitted you did it!

Yeah, I think you have a legitimate case for sure. There's nothing, technically, that says you have to stop or yield.

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Echo419 View Post
    Douches

XLR8TOR
    Owner Since

Thanks
    At most it seems like the only thing they could get you for, if any, is 'failure to yield the right of way'.

Did notice that on the "Ford Rd" sign it says "PVT". If you are on a private road and not a city or county road then the police have no jurisdiction. Just as they can not cite you for running a "Stop" sign in a Wal-Mart parking lot because it is on private property.

I would do my best to find out if the police officer had "jurisdiction" at that intersection. If, in fact he did not, then the court has to throw the ticket out because the officer was operating "outside of his jurisdiction" and therefore has no "authority" whatsoever. Any citation can only be given within an area that police have "jurisdiction" over.

Sounds to simple, but, all law comes down to "jurisdiction". Without "jurisdiction" no "authority" exists.

Did this officer have "jurisdiction" at this location? Either he did or he did not.

Something else you might check. If you can get hold of the County Sheriff talk to him directly. He may have an answer for you, especially if it is in county territory and not within "city limits".

Best of luck. Remember, "If you don't know your rights you don't have any"

There will be Blood! verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 93STLTH View Post

Actually they have jurisdiction anywhere there is a safety risk, or law disobeyed. Since he was turning on to a public road he definately has.

Due to the fact there was not any traffic control lacated at the location in which he received the traffic control ticket, it's a no brainer. Judge will throw it out.

Now if he would have wrote a wreckless ticket you'd be toast whether or not it was a safety issue.

His word against yours.

You have the evidence on your side!

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Tapatalk Bitches!

Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

I don't think you have a SOLID solid case..it wouldn't be running a stop sign, but it could easily been a failure to yield. The Walmart ordeal for example.. An officer can't give you a speeding ticket in their parking lot because its private property, BUT! they can give you a ticket if you pull out of the parking lot in front of on coming traffic. Read this again..

(c) at the point nearest the intersecting highway where the driver has a
    view of approaching traffic on the intersecting highway before entering
    it.

That at least sounds to me like, as you're pulling out on the street you have to stop to make sure there is no traffic coming, or at least yield.. In your case he probably gave you the ticket because you didnt "yield" to the on coming traffic. It being a private road has no play in this because you were pulling out into a public road. If you backed out of your drive way and got hit it would be your fault, same situation.. If anything the private road may hurt you. Because you werent on a public main road they probably have the right away over a car coming down a private road..

Basically my word of advice is go to court anyway, even though the cop had a lawful reason to write the ticket, he has to show up to court to fight it or you win automatically.. go to court and hope its not worth his time to show up..

YOUUSSS TRROOOLLLIN supporter
    Owner Since
    8/2008

Thanks
    go to court. no brainer. easy throw out.

in addition, if he shows up to court and uses written notes to jog his memory regarding the circumstances, you can object to his testimony right away. the witness must have a clear memory of events. i've used this one before and got the ticket thrown out, basically the equivalent of the cop not showing up to court (i.e. win by default).
    During court proceedings, witnesses are expected to answer all questions put to them. However, cases frequently come to trial some time after the events at issue, and witnesses often are unable to recollect events clearly. However, witnesses are discouraged from referring to documents during proceedings, because if the witness has little or no recollection of the events mentioned, the document is effectively Hearsay.
    source
    (USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

-jeff

1992 SVX LS-L
    1996 3000GT FWD-TT
    2005 XC90 T6 AWD

i collect parts.

6g74 block : 6g74 crankshaft (for sale!) : 6g75 crankshaft : 6g74/75 forged H-beam rods : 6g75 MIVEC heads : 2x 20G TD05 turbos

DrWeldin Wastegate upgrades : DrWeldin brushed sparkplug cover : Pampena solid rear diff bushings : STM brainded stainless clutch line : GZP remote clutch bleeder : Maximal Performance? T-case bracket : Seattle91VR4 poly motor mounts : front solid motor sound : 98SL ECU w/ Chrome & BlackStealth adapter harness : 3SX O2 simulators : TLE Groundwire kit

Krank Vents (original) : 3.0" GM MAF : 3.75" GM MAF w/ adapter harness : MAFT 1.x : NinjaPerformance remote IAC block : BlackStealth LCD Boost Controller : NinjaPerformance Boost Controller : Dejon split y-pipe : Dejon pre-turbo intake pipes w/ K&N filters : K&N FIPK kit : DSM SMICs : Tim/*GT Custom TD05 SMICs BIGGER THAN YOURS : random tech high-flow cat : M2 exhaust

Jackhammer Dual pump fuel hangar : 2x Aeromotive Stealth 340 fuel pumps : SX -10AN fuel filter : 450cc DSM blacktop injectors : 880cc delphi injectors : Stealthlabel injector quick disconnect clips : custom stainless steel breaded PTFE dual feed fuel setup : Fuelab FPR : Skillard underbody fuel channel

96 Stealth spoiler (original) : 2x Cianci 52mm DS B-pillar gauge pods w/ 1x matching PS blank B-pillar (different manufacturers) : Billet grill : random eBay? strut bar

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    "DRIVING-STOP SIGN-FAIL TO STOP AND/OR YIELD FROM"

No stop sign? No case. The judge should throw it out. Ideally, he shouldn't charge any court costs, as it's there error.

That's like them giving you a ticket for failing to salute the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I wouldn't say that in court, though.
    1995 VR4 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by jba3 View Post
    "DRIVING-STOP SIGN-FAIL TO STOP AND/OR YIELD FROM"

No stop sign? No case. The judge should throw it out. Ideally, he shouldn't charge any court costs, as it's there error.

That's like them giving you a ticket for failing to salute the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I wouldn't say that in court, though.
    are you missing the "OR YIELD FROM" if he's coming off a private road onto a public street he legally has to yield to on coming traffic, like pulling out of a parking lot into traffic. There doesn't have to be a stop sign at every parking lot exit for people to know if a cars coming you cant pull out. I believe the police officer was in the right with that he gave, even if it is a asshole reason.. at the same time, is this guy telling the whole story? was the cop really that far away? Im not calling anyone a liar, but he pulled out of a private road onto a public road. if there was traffic coming he had the legal responsibility to stop and yield to on coming traffic..