Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking my freshly rebuilt engine that hasn’t been started BACK apart …

Taking my freshly rebuilt engine that hasn’t been started BACK apart …

In another thread I explain what happened with the start of my engine build up…
    http://www.3sgto.org/f2/engine-rebui...help-3537.html

So I have an engine that a local builder started to reassemble and I now feel I want 100% credit or blame based on how it turns out in the end.
    He installed my new parts; Ross pistons and rings, Crower connecting rod, and forged crank (and new bearings into a fresh block … I want to remove these and ‘redo it’ myself. Since I can assume the mains have been torqued (something I will check regardless) can I take these pieces back apart to both inspect and relieve him of any wrong doing in the future. (that ISN’T meant to come out the wrong way! I just want to have the satisfaction of doing 100% of my rebuild and install myself)
    I should not have to replace anything to do this right? Again nothing else has been bolted on the block and those pieces were only installed with-in the last week.

Thanks in advance!!

Jeff
    Last edited by Back-to-Doo; 02-09-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    i hope your builder was not cable machine in akron,ohio, just make sure the thrust bearings are in correct when you remove the mains.
    Last edited by mcshooter; 02-09-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling

No he is not from Ohio.

Anyway I am sure this guy does fine work, just NOT in a timely manner!
    Last edited by Back-to-Doo; 02-09-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Player Hater of the Year
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You suspect it hasnt been assembled right?

Turbo beast,
    Yes I am 100% sure it hasn't been fully assembled! Back in Oct, 2010 I dropped off a new block, new pistons, new rods, new crank all straight from the machine shop to the builder to assemble.

Fast forward 3 1/2 months ...

Last week end: I took the block with only pistons, rods, and crank installed directly off his engine stand and carried it over and loaded it into the back of my Sierra Denali. The 'short block' was in a engine bag inside an old shirt (lol) and I put it into my carpeted bed liner under a sealed tonneau cover threw a strap over it and took it home ...
    So my question is still: Once I take the pistons and crank back out, can I just retorque the mains and rod caps after I reassemble it? OR do I need new bearings? I have never been in a situation where I was taking a NEW engine apart before it ever ran ....

But YES I do assume the things that should be torqued have been torqured to spec ...
    Last edited by Back-to-Doo; 02-11-2011 at 04:55 PM.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Maybe you shold just find a GOOD shop. I'd hate to see you throw away all that money on parts.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You should be fine taking them apart and checking them. They will be re-useable bolts

While some may agree with you green-lantern ... BUT I want the satifaction of knowing I did it myself! I built a 500+hp engine is something MOST can't say to themselves!

Thanks hdnixon, but it's the bearing more than anything I am worried about. I mean if this is a known "Don't Do" to not reuse "torqued" bearings it's a pretty cheap fix right now! I know the crank and pistions have been rotated since being torqued because I was courious to see how much rotating resistance this rotating mass had.

Actually I find it somewhat disapointing that I haven't received a clear answer to my direct question yet!
    Last edited by Back-to-Doo; 02-11-2011 at 07:57 PM.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-to-Doo View Post
    While some may agree with you green-lantern ... BUT I want the satifaction of knowing I did it myself! I built a 500+hp engine is something MOST can't say to themselves!
    I can totally understand that but you don't have certain tools that machine shops do. If I was worried about about the build I'd want to have somebody I trust to check all tolerances, balance ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Back-to-Doo View Post
    Actually I find it somewhat disapointing that I haven't received a clear answer to my direct question yet!
    I guess I should check out the other thread but from the way it sounds I don't think anybody would be comfortable telling you, you need this or you don't need that without actually checking things out for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    I can totally understand that but you don't have certain tools that machine shops do. If I was worried about about the build I'd want to have somebody I trust to check all tolerances, balance ect.

I have rebuilt many engines over the years. I have all the tools needed to wrench on cars, trucks, wheelers, bikes, and sleds! So yes beyond the normal garage tools I have bore gauge, mics, calipers, magnetic base dail indicator, valve spring compressor, leak down testers, compression tester, puller kit, etc, and finally a computer to ask questions! Even a B.F.H. when none of those seem to help. I think I have most of the tools I'll need! AND I know how to even use most of them! Now that the background check is out of the way ...

These parts came from a machine shop to the builder. Before the builder got the parts, the pistons & rods assembled and balanced. The block was squared and decked then board and each piston numbered. Rings were gapped to each cylinder, blah blah blah basicly the machine shop was paid to do what they do. Then the builder was to assemble and install the complete engine, transmission and transfer case and hand over a turn key car back in mid November!
    Honestly I could just keep putting the engine back together from this point OR buy another bearing sets (main and rod @ $150+) But I posted in this forum hoping to get an answer and possibly save both time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    I guess I should check out the other thread but from the way it sounds I don't think anybody would be comfortable telling you, you need this or you don't need that without actually checking things out for themselves.
    My question is ONLY: After a set of bearings has been torqued for a couple weeks or so Can I disassemble the engine and then reused these same bearings when putting the engine back together? YES I would be reinstalling each of the said bearings in the EXACT same position I removed them from!
    Last edited by Back-to-Doo; 02-11-2011 at 11:21 PM.