Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking my freshly rebuilt engine that hasn’t been started BACK apart …

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    anytime someone other than myself assembled my engine i would be nervous. the machine shop may have done it right but the assembler??? since yo uhave tools why not mike the piston to bore dimensions, check bearing clearance, check thrush bearing clearance and make sure thrust bearings in correct and piston-rods are in correct direction.. and use the correct lube to torque the bolts

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-to-Doo View Post

My question is ONLY: After a set of bearings has been torqued for a couple weeks or so Can I disassemble the engine and then reused these same bearings when putting the engine back together? YES I would be reinstalling each of the said bearings in the EXACT same position I removed them from!
    It just seems with your resume you would know the answer already. I'm honestly not trying to piss you off or anything, I just want to make sure I understand what your wanting to do.

No, you should not need to replace any bearings just because they have been torqued down.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

lol Thanks! And no, I wasn't getting pissed, but more frustrated because it seemed like a simple basic question. Because I have never come across something like this before I wasn't sure! It makes since because back when using plastigauge basically one does the very same thing, just not for the duration that these bearing were torqued for. My main concern was possibly the bearing taking a 'set' or forming to their journals and therefore retorquing them causing premature failure.

Again Thank you and hopefully I didn't offend or come across in a way not to receive more help in the future!! This is my first ‘boosted’ rebuild, but not my first boosted car.
    Current summer toy is 2006 550hp supercharged Saleen convertible but that was just bolt on and only has 23K miles on it in 5 years. The TT Stealth that is currently being rebuilt had 103K. I think at some point the Stealth will see 20+ psi boost, the Saleen is just over 10 at peak! It'll be the details now that make a difference in the longevity of this build.

Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Do you know what bearings are in it? Mitsu select fit, clevite? Do you plan to check all tolerances?

Yes, I plan to start over like it had never been assembled. (again other than keeping track of the bearings in their current location/orientation when going back together) Machine shop purchased both sets of bearing so I am not 100% sure. This info might be on the receipt I don't recall right now.

I am not planning to recheck the machine shop's work as I don't have many of those type tools nor do I doubt/question their work.

Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    I am not planning to recheck the machine shop's work as I don't have many of those type tools nor do I doubt/question their work.
    I really don't understand why you would pull it apart if you trust the work that has been done. If your not planning to check the work then the only thing you gain by pulling it apart is the chance to screw something up.

Steve Yes I agree, the machine shop does very good work BUT they are also very expensive. Yes they would have gladly assembled the engine, but they would not install the engine in the car at any price. Period! I was looking for a package deal. Looks like I found 'em ... ME! lol

The guy that was going to assemble the engine was also so going to install it ... he just drug his feet about 2 1/2 months too long! He also does good work and I have no reson to doubt his work so honestly I could just continue with the build up. (which at this point I guess I should have done ) Again I just wanted to know I built this engine start to finish.

Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    The guy that was going to assemble the engine was also so going to install it ... he just drug his feet about 2 1/2 months too long! He also does good work and I have no reson to doubt his work so honestly I could just continue with the build up. (which at this point I guess I should have done ) Again I just wanted to know I built this engine start to finish.
    No way would I pull it apart just for the gratification of putting it back together. If you're not going to check any of the tolerances then just start putting the rest together. Most people have the short block put together by the machine shop anyway (as Steve said) so there's no shame in you not doing that part.

Just so you know, you guys are starting to talk me out of tearing it back down ...

On the other hand I still have a real nice 'windowed' '94 block with a custom 3 piece crank I could rebuild someday! :roll

You will never know if it would have held up or not. I have seen $90,000 motors built by pros and drop on start up. I thought it would never happen to me. I did my own assembly on my last build and have a knock in the lower end.
    WTF, Never had that haoppen before. I did all the assembly work myself as I wanted to make sure nothing got missed. Never hurts to double check others work. Hope it all turn out well. I start digging this week to find out what happened. Grrr.