Thread: Snow removal

Large Member Feedback Score 0 SilverBullet's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Snow removal

Does anyone here have a plow, or have plowed snow in the past for money?

What is the normal "rate" for plowing? I ask, because an attorney my mom works for called a plow guy to plow their neighborhood since the city was not doing it, and the quote they got back was for $35,000! I can see that MIGHT be for an annual contract, but that is still high. And, I don't know if it was for strictly plowing or if it included "removal" and treatment of the roads once snow was removed...

But, this got me to thinking. If I charged a FRACTION of that cost.. lets say, $5,000. And I got 10 neighborhoods to sign a $5,000 annual contract, that's $50,000 for snow removal.. and you only have to work when it snows!
    2010 Toyota Camry SE
    1998 Honda Accord EX
    --------------------------
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L Hemi - Sold (Good riddance!)
    2007 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring - Sold
    2001 Ford Explorer - AWD 5.0L V8 lifted w/ 32" BFG AT K/O's - Sold
    2004 Mazda6s - Sold
    1994 Stealth RT/TT Pearl Yellow - Sold
    1993 Stealth ES Twin Turbo - Sold
    1981 Audi 4000 4E "The Tank" - R.I.P.
    1984 Toyota Corolla Hatchback - Sold

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Nobody I know who does any regular plowing other than for themselves works for less than $100/hour, with about a $25 minimum - you can pad your rate with a lot of 10-15 minute jobs.

A reliable plow rig is gonna be costly, and to entertain the idea of plowing entire neighborhoods would require multiple rigs/drivers.

Methinks you are being slightly optimistic - that is not to say it couldn't be done, but your scenario would be pretty hard on equipment.

Edit-

I should add that if you sign a contract you are obligated to clear the snow if your rig goes down, in which case you will most definitely find out what the job is worth - to the guy you have to hire to cover for you.
    Last edited by j2k4; 02-08-2011 at 12:25 PM.
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Owner Since

Thanks
    My dad already has a decent truck.. He's got an '06 PSD F350 4x4 (crew cab long bed).. we could get a decent plow for it and put it to work. I know plowing is hell on trucks, but we don't get much snow in these parts.. so in reality I'd only be using it for about 1 week (collectively) out of the entire year. And if I choose my neighborhoods right, I can do small gated communities when their total road coverage is maybe 1 mile.
    Last edited by SilverBullet; 02-08-2011 at 12:46 PM.

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Well, that much is in your favor, but you'd still need a back-up vehicle, and frankly, that's an awfully long truck for plowing.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    that's an awfully long truck for plowing.
    Haha, true. That truck is a nightmare to turn around, so I see your point.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
    Does anyone here have a plow, or have plowed snow in the past for money?

What is the normal "rate" for plowing? I ask, because an attorney my mom works for called a plow guy to plow their neighborhood since the city was not doing it, and the quote they got back was for $35,000! I can see that MIGHT be for an annual contract, but that is still high. And, I don't know if it was for strictly plowing or if it included "removal" and treatment of the roads once snow was removed...

But, this got me to thinking. If I charged a FRACTION of that cost.. lets say, $5,000. And I got 10 neighborhoods to sign a $5,000 annual contract, that's $50,000 for snow removal.. and you only have to work when it snows!
    How is it possible that the city can get out of plowing an entire neighborhood? Do you all get out of paying local taxes for that service then as well?
    Does your city have requirements that the land owner has to keep the city sidewalks clear of snow? Can they fine you if you do not meet those requirements?
    I am finding this a bit unbelievable. And the guy in question is supposedly an attorney? He should file a law suit against the city for failure to clean your neighborhood.
    Perhaps the price quote was done to put a price to the lawsuit?

As far as plowing for profit. Once you have paying customers and a contract for service it usually includes when you will plow like after 1 inch of new snow falls. And then a time limit like within 12 hours of the snow fall. So it limits how much you can plow in 12 hours and your equipment must be working. If you break down you will need instant repair abilities and or a backup plow. Contracts can include refunds if you can not uphold your side of the contract. This includes you being sick plowing on holidays etc.
    Trying to plow for profit on a shoe string budget rarely works for anyone the owner or the customer. You can hire more employees to cover more ground but will these guys be willing to work for you on a part time bassis only when it snows even if it is a holiday like christmas? What are your employees going to do when it is not snowing?
    Gas and repairs and insurance for plowing mistakes like hitting a parked car or fire hydrant are the main expenses.

Now you begin to see why it costs what it does for plowing snow.

Owner Since

Thanks
    That's a good question, the city SHOULD be responsible for plowing all city streets.. but, they are only focused on the main roads. And not all "main" roads are getting plowed. They just don't have the equipment and/or manpower. Hell, this past summer they couldn't even handle mowing all the city land. They had to start asking citizens to volunteer their own time and equipment to mow city property.