Thread: Engine rebuild and install ... please help!

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

Engine rebuild and install ... please help!

Hi again.
    Well ... after dropping off our 94 RT/TT mid October of last year to have the engine rebuilt and installed. (actually just needed to be assembled/installed with all new parts, the machine work was already completed as engine was pulled prior to dropping car and ALL parts off)) I paid him in full back then, but that is neither here nor there at this point! ... My wife and I went and picked our car up yesterday. STILL NOT DONE! We got most of the parts back will get the rest later this week.

Now there had been communication between the builder and I through out this (and I use this term loosely) 'build up process' and the completion date kept getting moved later and later. Well the last firm date our Stealth would be complete came and went, it was Jan 31. I think he was QUITE surprised when we showed up with a car hauler and winch and started loading things up ... We discussed when I would be refunded the balance of my money. I asked him how much he had into it at this point, and even though my estimate was exactly 1/2 of what he stated. (what he claimed to be ‘into it’ was 20% of the whole bill) As a matter of fact, all that was done is pistons were installed on connecting rods and crank, rods, pistons were installed in block .... But, I agreed to that amount and asked him when I could expect the balance to be paid back and he stated, ‘next Friday’. I told him to be sure on his date because that would be when I expect to be paid back in full. He confirmed "Yes, I will pay you in full on Friday." So, come Monday morning the 14th I believe I will be contacting our attorney for breech of contract with this gentleman if I am not refunded completely ... but we shall see. If he makes an effort, I might be willing to work with him, not 100% sure …

(Sorry I needed to vent some ….)

Now on to the real reason for starting this topic, I know this sight seems more geared towards those that know more about our cars than I but this newbie needs some help.

Could someone please post links on information guides for installing the engine, transmission, transfer case, and engine compartment wiring. What special tools are needed. (already have engine hoist, engine stands, torque wrenches mutli-meters, typical hot rodder’s tools) just need to know the tools needed unique to the engine assembly installation into the TT/RT or VR4. I will have no problem buying manuals or what have you to make this job go smoothly … err smother!! Also this is NOT my first engine assembly / installation, just never a turbo or a Stealth and I didn’t take the engine out or apart.

I am sure in the end I will be much happier and hopefully be able to understand other issues in the future when they come up if I complete this task!
    Thanks for your help!!
    Last edited by Back-to-Doo; 02-06-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Forum User Feedback Score 12 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You can download the service manuals from www.mitsubishilinks.com

Only special tool you will need is a timing belt tensioner tool to do the timing belt. Other than that, nothing special about the engine install.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) MADMarc's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Also, for some walkthroughs on some of the things you'll pArtake in check out stealth316.com. there are a ton of awesome write ups on that site so I'm sure they will help you out if you get stuck in a lot of places. Just don't go "putting the pussy on a pedestal" lol try not to think too far into it...too much worrying where it really isn't necessary always lands me in crappy water. Sorry to hear the story about the car now get her running and have some fun! You going completely stock or do we get to look at a fun build sheet?

Owner Since

Thanks
    Thanks!!
    I almost printed that Misubishi manual JUST before i saw it was 1300+ pages! (oops!)
    Yes I have read many of stealth316.com tips and how tos.

It's going to go back together a bit upgraded from stock this time. With ALL the upgrades being aimed towards a final goal of well over 500hp. (at the crank) This will be my primary winter toy so fall is the projected NEW completion time frame goal. (I wanted it for this winter BUT ...) It already has a fresh block, Ross Racing pistions, Crower connecting rods and forged crank from Mitsubishi, so yea the bottom end is good to go this time around! I think that's all the good stuff I will be adding for now the rest will be small improvements again working towards the HP goal. It needs some cosmetic and interior things addressed before I upgrade turbos, but we'll see. I really like the 'sleeper look BUT some of youhave some beautiful cars so I am really torn on what I want the finished car to look like.

I believe I will do some little things like relocate battery, rewire the fuel pump, stereo upgrades before it gets back on the road.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) MADMarc's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Sounds like it'll be fun to me and good idea getting the small things out of the way like the hotwire and what not. man if only I had a million bucks....then my car would be halfway done :P

Owner Since

Thanks
    SWEET! I got repaid in full today!! I am very relieved and glad to have that part of the build up behind me!!!

Hmm now what to do with the extra money....

(Now I kind of feel bad for thinking the guy was going to stiff me)

Owner Since

Thanks
    boy are you lucky to get a refund, we have a machine shop here, cable machine that screwed baturbo big time. he assy his engine and the main bearings wound up in the pan. he states he stands behind his work, just bs as he said ba engine had crank walk. it had crank walk because he screwed up the assy.. he owes him a engine but wont do anything about it.. so any of you local to here guys stay away from him. he normally does chevy and ford v8s but knows nothing about a 3s even tho he was given a manual. i had him clean and hone a engine for me but thats all .. i dont know anywhere around here in akron ohio that i would trust with a 3s engine.