Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clutch for 400-450AWHP

Stress free wheel gap. Not Verified Feedback Score 0 YoshiBishi's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Clutch for 400-450AWHP

I am pushing about 380AWHP right now, and my clutch seems to be slipping a bit. I plan on making 450AWHP max in the future. This is mostly a street car and maybe a few track runs. I don't want something that is too hard when I decide to drive it to work.

Which clutch should I get for these power levels?

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%) 3KVT's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I got the ACT stage 2 clutch and I'm expecting around 400awhp. It drives wonderfully during daily driving, but grabs for hard launches too. So I'd go stage 2 or 3. depending on how rough you want it to grab on take-off, and how easy you want it to be to depress.

1993 3000GT VR-4

MHI 16-T's and supporting mods.

Stress free wheel gap. Not Verified Feedback Score 0 YoshiBishi's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Anyone know how much HP/Torque the OEM clutches hold?

-BOOSTTD- verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) mh3kgt's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I've read more than once that an upgraded Pressure Plate and OEM clutch is fine all day long on 450is awhp. That's what I plan to use

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have a XTD that held 525 and it feels like stock. It's for sell, 175 shipped with less than 2K miles on it. I changed it out for a SB because my car is making more HP

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'm in the same boat. I had a South Bend Racing TZ (Stage 2, 490 max torque), which I ran for roughly 30K miles, and as my transmission is out, we are looking at just replacing it. The flywheel and pressure plate are apparently in perfect shape still.

After DIGGING for a couple of hours on the other forum, I found quite a few individuals recommending the Spec Stage 4+, which is rated at 700+ ft/lbs. torque, and while unsprung, is supposedly a great daily use clutch. Unfortunately, I can no longer locate that exact model on the Spec Clutches website, and only the regular Stage 4 (no +) is listed, which holds to 600 ft/lbs and is a puck style, and apparently it too has good reviews. MVP Motorsports has it for $449 in either 3, 4, or 6 puck design.

The other recommendation is a South Bend Racing Stage 4, which is full faced (non puck), 750 ft/lbs torque max, and $200 more.

And finally, in my case with the pressure plate being in fine shape, it would be possible to go with a stock disk for roughly $100.

The XTD clutches have also had some love across various builds.

I'm on the fence, anyone have any recommendations?

Forum User Not Verified
    Feedback Score 6 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    the act HD mb019 pressure plate or the RPS max plate with a stock disc work great for that power range and some above.

Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

Forum User supporter Feedback Score 5 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ijsaul View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I had a South Bend Racing TZ (Stage 2, 490 max torque), which I ran for roughly 30K miles, and as my transmission is out, we are looking at just replacing it. The flywheel and pressure plate are apparently in perfect shape still.

After DIGGING for a couple of hours on the other forum, I found quite a few individuals recommending the Spec Stage 4+, which is rated at 700+ ft/lbs. torque, and while unsprung, is supposedly a great daily use clutch. Unfortunately, I can no longer locate that exact model on the Spec Clutches website, and only the regular Stage 4 (no +) is listed, which holds to 600 ft/lbs and is a puck style, and apparently it too has good reviews. MVP Motorsports has it for $449 in either 3, 4, or 6 puck design.

The other recommendation is a South Bend Racing Stage 4, which is full faced (non puck), 750 ft/lbs torque max, and $200 more.

And finally, in my case with the pressure plate being in fine shape, it would be possible to go with a stock disk for roughly $100.

The XTD clutches have also had some love across various builds.

I'm on the fence, anyone have any recommendations?
    I ran the spec 4 and the spec 4 + I had nothing but issues with that puck clutch the + comes with a solid disc and has been holding just fine

Forum User verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) thor'svr4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by YoshiBishi View Post
    Anyone know how much HP/Torque the OEM clutches hold?
    i made 418 awhp and 408 awtq on a stock clutch at 18psi. not sure what i make at 23psi but it holds enough to spin all 4. i think i felt the clutch slip once when i dropped the clutch at 6500ish rpm but i couldn’t really tell. still spun so maybe it was just some sand on the road or something.
    the basic go fast bits...
    forged short block, Billet DR1000's, 680cc injectors, meth inj, FMIC, MAFT, Apexi Neo, hotwired 255lph fuel pump.

Tuned by Ray Pampena

Just a fun Daily Driver.

-BOOSTTD- verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) mh3kgt's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    OEM is the only sprung hub disc I will ever buy again. Somehow managed to destroy a SBC stg3 OFE in 1k miles...springs decided to split the sheets on me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast