Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio Install Help PLEASE

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since
    2004/5?

Thanks

Radio Install Help PLEASE

Hey, so I've been working half a day on just figuring out the pins/wiring of my alpine head unit (the stock wiring harness to be exact). I know it should not be this difficult, and I feel as though I've found mixed/inaccurate information in a few different places, causing way too much headache.

The wiring diagram in the manual is a little confusing to me, and is not straight forward enough. I've been looking on 3/s audio faq and have been looking at a pin diagram corresponding with each pins wires, and this is either inaccurate, or I'm missing a wire (at least) in my harness.

Main area of confusion is pin A as referenced by 3/s audio faq. The faq calls for 2 white w/red stripe wires. In that place I instead have a white/blue wire (only one, not even two).

Anyways, without getting in to this too much, could anybody please break this down for me? I've basically been looking at 3/4 different sources and they all seem to say something just slightly different...and it seems like I don't even have wiring for the right front speaker (positive or negative).

I'm fine with the harness that has two pins on the top row, one on either side of the clip, and three pins on the bottom row. It's the harness with 4 pins along the top and 5 along the bottom that's really throwing me off.

After I get that straight, the radio install should be cake.

Thank you,
    Caleb
    Last edited by Rom3BreaK; 02-02-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    . 1992 VR4 - Java Black Pearl paint (2004 STI) with combo '92/'96/'99 custom front end .
    . Fittipaldi Force or 5Zigen FNO1-RC wheels . Cianci rear strut bar . K&N intake . DNP pre-turbo hard pipes . DNP hard intercooler pipe kit . Greddy Type RS BOV (recirc) . HKS EVC Black Limited boost controller . Vacuum reduction with all silicone pluming . EGR block off plates . Hot wired fuel pump . AEM AFPR @the rail with Robbeck adapter . Fuel rail loop . Tanabe knockoff down pipe . No cats . Single Turbo Flamer full 3" cat back . RPS Max pressure plate with street disk . Seattle92VR4 solid motor mounts . '99 Lifters . R1 Concepts slotted rotors . Supercar Engineering brake caliper stiffening bolts . HHH data logging . Red Line fluids .

Owner Since
    2004/5?

Thanks
    Green/White Black/Yellow XclipX Yellow/Red White/Blue
    Blue Red/Black Yellow/Blue (2) White/Blue Not used

(2) Black/Blue XclipX Gray/Blue or White/Blue
    Black/Blue Pink Gray/Red

That's what I'm working with; ms paint and excel files were aparently too big so sorry about the format...

Owner Since
    2004/5?

Thanks
    Bump....

The one. The only. verified
    supporter
    Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    This is why you don't cut and splice into the stock harness. Quick connects are cheap and, uh, quick.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

-BOOSTTD- verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) mh3kgt's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have a reverse radio harness I'll sell you for like $10shipped if you want. It is color matched to the stock harness and connects to the factory radio wires if they have been clipped and has the factory connectors on the other end. All you would need then is a harness to fit your headunit and then clip the connectors together and voila all wiring is done for you! Here's a link to the radio harness you'd need once you have stock connectors back in place http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Harness.../dp/B000KL51X0
    Last edited by mh3kgt; 02-03-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Owner Since
    2004/5?

Thanks
    Yeah, this whole things is pretty weird... I think the previous owner had some crazy system in the car. I can't see where any wires have been cut (if any have been cut, they did a clean job wrapping everything up). Funny thing is, there is a quick connect harness connected right now that was hooked up to an older sony unit that I just removed. The wires on the quick connect don't seem to be the "typical" colors, making everything more confusing. Basically I have all the wires I need (I think), I just need to figure out what each does.

Now that you mention it, I have an entire wire harness out of a 91TT in the basement....thanks for the inadvertent reminder!

I'm also confused as to how you wire this thing so the antenna goes up/down when radio is on/off.

-BOOSTTD- verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) mh3kgt's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Needs the power antenna input from the aftermarket radio harness to stock connector. Usually blue/white on most aftermarket harnesses.

Owner Since
    2004/5?

Thanks
    Nice, got it. For some reason whoever installed the old unit had looped the power antenna in with the ignition switch, which explained why the antenna went up and down every time the car was turned on and off rather than when the radio was turned on and off. I think I have all of the wiring figured out now also, but it's still odd that I don't have two wires for the right front speakers(only one each for (+/-))...probably means that dash speaker won't work. Maybe I'll undo the electrical tape holding the harness together and try to locate cut wires.

Why would anybody even cut those wtf?

The one. The only. verified
    supporter
    Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    If you are missing right front front then both the dash and the door speaker wont work as they are on the same circuit of wires.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0 blackrob's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I can tell you that one of the morons cut the dash speaker wires in my car 2 inches from the connector. Why the hell would you do that?
    Moving on to reality. Sold my 3KGT, and now I am selling off my parts.
    Click here to see my parts for sale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast