Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Honda Eater Feedback Score 0 Mike-92RT's Avatar
    Owner Since
    April 2007

Blog Entries
    Thanks

92 R/T has low oil pressure?

When i bought my 1992 Stealth R/T, the stock gauge read completely fine. It was in the normal range, until my VSS went, i added 1 litre of oil a week... I ended up having to replace all the valves, VSS... etc.

Over 3 years later (lack of job/money), my car was good to go in august 2010. I drove her around for a month, tweaking things here and there... I noticed my oil pressure gauge fluctuated each time i drove. One start up it would read perfectly fine when it idled and drove. Other times it would read a little bit low, and really low.

Since this has been happening i have decided to replace the pressure sending units, along with the harness for them to ensure a good pressure reading. Also over the next winter, i will be replacing the water pump, and oil pump to ensure good oil pressure.

Anyways, i managed to take 2 pictures with my cellphone, two different days, while driving lol... of my pressure gauge reading different readings.

Can anyone send some advice/experience my way, if any? Thanks! lol

PS: when i drove my car in August 2010, after adjusting the CAS timing... it ran 100% like i drove it brand new off the lot. With my oil gauge reading that crappy.
    Last edited by Mike-92RT; 02-02-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Forum User Feedback Score 12 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Sometimes the gauges are just crap. Buy a cheap electronic oil pressure gauge to ease your mind.

Owner Since
    April 2007

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Stupid thing is that i let the engine run with a minimum amount of oil (by accident)... forgot to cut holes for the pickup tube/oil filter gaskets... oil did get through but not a whole lot, and the engine squeaked/stalled two or three times when i was tryin to figure out WTF was happening. (KICKING MYSELF IN THE ASS FOR THAT)... and when i drained the oil probably 1000kms after that, i found a tiny bit of metal shavings in the oil... not a whole lot though. My car still runs ridiculously good.. just the oil pressure that worries me.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 GTwizard's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    It is start up that kills motor. You having no oil did it. If you are lucky, the crank will be OK. Just pull the pan and slip in new bearings before it's too late.
    Because you said I squeeked and stalled, I don't think the new bearing will help as damage most likely done. So pull the pan, pull the gerdle and inspect crank and bearings.
    You could have been real lucky with the crank. But your bears are crap.

Owner Since
    April 2007

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    would i be okay to drive the car through the summer in its current state?. It drives absolutely fine, when i drive it normal, and when i pushed it. Just the gauge worries me.

I will be replacing the oil pump and water pump over the next winter. So i can do the bearings then while its off the road for hibernation.... But if not, then i can do it before spring, when i bring her out.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Rule of thumb is 5 psi for every 1k RPM. Check your pressures with a known good gauge. Hoking up one temporarily is fine. In real life with your stock gauge it should read between the two long lines at idle and highway speeds. Oil pressure loss is either poor pressure from a bad oil pump or excessive clearances from worn bearings.

-SP

Here for the party Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) CoreyB's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Dont drive it like that or you will join my exclusive club.

Owner Since
    April 2007

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyB View Post
    Dont drive it like that or you will join my exclusive club.
    i won't be apart of your club... sorry Corey lol

Well i have decided to replace the oil pump before the spring time, along with new pressure senders/harness. I'll check the condition of the bearings as well. I know if they have scratches on them, they're bad... so if i see any, i wont' be driving her until its fixed, which will be done before the summer.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 GTwizard's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Pull the pan before you do any driving. Look and see what your sittuation is before taking any action.
    We could not answer your question with out pulling the pan as well. In this case, your car will have to answer that question for you.
    A good gauge is a good idea, but your going to end up pulling the pan anyways.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    My oil pressure on my VR4 is generally the same place as yours when Im at 800 rpm idle, but you said you were driving? wow thats a little low. At 2500 rpm highway cruise, my Oil pressure is 2-2.5 ticks BELOW the upmost long hash mark.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast