Thread: How would you handle this?

The one. The only. verified
    supporter
    Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks

How would you handle this?

Ok, I guess that's really not the correct question. I should probably ask how you would take this situation.

To make a long story as short as possible, I have been with my company for just over a year. I started January 7, 2010.

In that time I have been given raises to where I am making about 16% more than when I started and a promotion to Production Scheduler.

There are three companies within the building all under one parent company. They are currently purchasing a building just up the road to move the other two companies to. In the future they plan to expand on my company's production abilities.

Yesterday I was pondered an interesting question about all the current happenings. My boss asked if I would be interested in being the Operations Manager over the other two companies when they get to the new building.

I of course said it wouldn't be a problem. I started wondering how others in the company might take this situation if it indeed goes through. There are some people who have worked for the company in one way or another for 8 years or more. Here I would be, a basic newbie to the company coming in and becoming their boss. I'm not sure how well that would end up going over.

So, how would you handle it if you were with a company for several years and someone who was hired as a shipper comes in a year later and becomes your boss?

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

3SWiki.org Feedback Score 0 stealthify's Avatar
    Owner Since
    10+ Years

Thanks
    Hey man, long time.

I can't assume to know what the other workers would think, but this happens in business all the time. I think it would be in your best interest to talk to the long-term employs and become friends with them early on - preferably long before the promotion goes through. This will help make the transition a lot smoother.

Are the other employs happy with their current positions? I'd imagine not all of them would want the responsibilities usually associated with being the manager. What's your thoughts on this?

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Jump in and don't look back.

Unless you're working for know-nothings, they've already taken the question into account.

Do you have any reservations?
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Member verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) dbest671's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Do you know what the other workers are making? They may be very well making more than you, and still may make more than you after your promotion.

I once was promoted to management ahead of some long timers, and those long timers got pissed. But a) they didn't have the overall experience I did and b) they didn't have the drive or desire to be a manager. I went after the job, they just thought it would be handed to them.

With the job market the way it is, I don't see too many people being vocal if your promotion upsets them.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    I’d do it but I’d be very humble and make sure to show respect for the others that have been there a while (don’t let it go to your head). The resentment will pass if you are a cool boss and do a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    I’d do it but I’d be very humble and make sure to show respect for the others that have been there a while (don’t let it go to your head). The resentment will pass if you are a cool boss and do a good job.
    This^, too.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 Beef6's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I say go for it, just do it in a humble manner as mentioned above. I would not doubt it if some of the long timers are happy where they are as that is the case a lot of times. You obviously deserve the position over them so you should not hold back from progressing your career because of a few possibly unhappy people. Also people who have worked for a company for so long normally see this happening all of the time.

The one. The only. verified
    supporter
    Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Nothing is set in stone yet, but the last time a question was pondered to me about taking a promotion in passing, well it went through.

As for my reservations, in the past I never really saw myself as a person able to be a leader, or a boss. I have accepted a bit of a leadership/boss role with my promotion to Production Scheduler. I work closely with my boss, who is the Operations Manager over our part of the company. He obviously sees the ability in me to take on the responsiblities and I see it in myself as well.

As far as pay goes I know that I am one of the few to get raises recently. Pay isn't something that is supposed to be talked about, but having conversations in passing with some of the other guys I know I am making more than most of the other guys on the floor. The only exceptions are two machinists who run CNC's over in suspension, and the maintenance guy mainly because he's a renaissance man of sorts in his abilities to repair things throughout the building. I know from him telling me that he hasn't seen a raise in over 6 years. I got 3 in a one year period. If this promotion finalizes it will be 4 in about 14 months.

Honestly, in the end I would not be taking this just for the pay or the power. I would be taking it as a resume builder. My boss even said the same thing when talking to me about it. He said something along the lines of "Having a manager position on your resume would look a lot better than just a production scheduler"

If anyone has any other opinions to add, please feel free to do so.

Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Nothing is set in stone yet, but the last time a question was pondered to me about taking a promotion in passing, well it went through.

As for my reservations, in the past I never really saw myself as a person able to be a leader, or a boss. I have accepted a bit of a leadership/boss role with my promotion to Production Scheduler. I work closely with my boss, who is the Operations Manager over our part of the company. He obviously sees the ability in me to take on the responsiblities and I see it in myself as well.

As far as pay goes I know that I am one of the few to get raises recently. Pay isn't something that is supposed to be talked about, but having conversations in passing with some of the other guys I know I am making more than most of the other guys on the floor. The only exceptions are two machinists who run CNC's over in suspension, and the maintenance guy mainly because he's a renaissance man of sorts in his abilities to repair things throughout the building. I know from him telling me that he hasn't seen a raise in over 6 years. I got 3 in a one year period. If this promotion finalizes it will be 4 in about 14 months.

Honestly, in the end I would not be taking this just for the pay or the power. I would be taking it as a resume builder. My boss even said the same thing when talking to me about it. He said something along the lines of "Having a manager position on your resume would look a lot better than just a production scheduler"

If anyone has any other opinions to add, please feel free to do so.
    Sounds like you've got matters in hand as to ability as well as outlook, Brian.

Go, man, go.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) jba3's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    If they asked you about the promotion, chances are it's because you're the best fit for the position. Seniority with a company does not equal suitability - some people change oil and rotate tires for 15 years because that's the limit of their abilities. Some people are managers after 5 years, because that's what they are best suited for.

My wife just got a promotion after being at her company around 15 months, give or take. She has less time there than everyone else in the department except for 1 person, and understandably, others were upset that she got it. However, if they didn't sit with their thumbs up their bum and did more work (my wife processes more, statistically, than they do), then it might be a different story.

Point being, if they asked you, there's a reason. If you got 3 raises in a year, there's a reason. Only reason to not take that promotion is if you doubt yourself - but that may backfire and they may not ask you for a promotion ever again.

Congratulations on the opportunity.
    1995 VR4 Coupe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast