Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok, might have hurt the rear turbo seal?

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

ok, might have hurt the rear turbo seal?

Well, alot of you know, I dropped my oil pan to reseal it. drained all the oil, but the oil filter had maybe 200 miles on it so I didnt change it out. Put 5 qts in of 10-30w castrol syntec blend. I was driving Sat and al of a sudden had a ton of smoke behind me. Never happened before. Took her home, pulled out the intake pipes, checked the front turbo, not much shaft play. Checked the rear, minimal shaft play. checked everywhere on block and no leaks, cam seal are good, no leaks. drained about 1/2 qt of oil. just under top notch on dipstick. perfect now. drove it this morning to work...(E85 hates 19 degrees outside starts ) when i would get on it it wuld give a little puff. no smoke at idle, only some on down shifting thats y I think the seal could be bad.

Im hoping that there is residual oil still being burned off thats y it smokes abit. It doesnt billow out just a little on shifts when I get on it. If I did blow the seal then I have no one to blame but myself on that one.

When I had my bad 15g's, I dropped the downpipe and at idle and reving it it would smoke like it was on fire coming out of the front bank. It doesnt smoke at all at idle even when I rev it pretty high. so Thats y i am not sure.

MIke

1/4 mile 11.80 @117mph. 551whp 641trq @ 26psi E85 tune, MTC 19T-HLs, forge 15psi spring wastegates, 780 PTE inj, 3SX Fuel loop, ss fuel lines, Engine built by Laniers Speed shop, block bored .060 w/ chromolly rings, weisco pistons, 3sx custom forged rods, forged crank, HKS DLI, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO wideband, prosport oil and boost guages, aeromotive 1000 FPR, Dejon blow thru twintakes, Walbro E85 400 w/ 3sx hotwire kit and custom an fitting fuel pump w/ STM filter to pump line, CXRacing FMIC, Megan Racing Aluminum radiator, IPS custom downpipe, Borla 3" exhaust,Greddy profec b spec II EBC, Blitz SS BOV,R1 Drilled slotted rotors, Drag DR-31 rims, RPS stage 4 unsprung clutch,

-BOOSTTD- verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Sounds exactly like the problem I'm having. I can let it sit at idle forever and get no smoke, but if I drive around and get into boost and then let off I get a pretty good puff of smoke and then it's gone. Started off with small cloud but recently has gotten worse and now will let out a puff if I rev it at idle and let it come back down, but once it settles at idle smoke is gone. I'm pretty sure it's my rear turbo seals since rear IC pipes have oil and front does not.

Padawan garage troll Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mh3kgt View Post
    Sounds exactly like the problem I'm having. I can let it sit at idle forever and get no smoke, but if I drive around and get into boost and then let off I get a pretty good puff of smoke and then it's gone. Started off with small cloud but recently has gotten worse and now will let out a puff if I rev it at idle and let it come back down, but once it settles at idle smoke is gone. I'm pretty sure it's my rear turbo seals since rear IC pipes have oil and front does not.
    I am planning on updating your other thread on PCV valves. I finally got my oil catch can installed where the vapor canistor used to be, with BIG(19mm) tubing. Haven't had a chance to run it WOT yet to see how it handles smoke @ decel after boost.

OP check your crank venting tubes are not clogged up. Do you have oil in the bubble (leading to the rear turbo)? Its common for the PCV valve to be overrun in our cars.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have a new pcv valve and DR racing krank vents. I have blow thru so no bubble. No oil in my dejon twin takes either. I am going to pull the the dp tonight and check to see if any smoke comes from the front or rear banks.

-BOOSTTD- verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I noticed that I had a bit of oil in my bubble leading to the rear turbo as well. Looks like it was coming from the rear head vent tube that runs into the bubble. I've replaced the PCV since then, but still have a puff of smoke on decel after boost. Would VSS cause any of this? I doubt it since I am seeing oil in my IC piping on rear turbo, sounds more like turbo seals to me but I've been fooled before.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mh3kgt View Post
    I noticed that I had a bit of oil in my bubble leading to the rear turbo as well. Looks like it was coming from the rear head vent tube that runs into the bubble. I've replaced the PCV since then, but still have a puff of smoke on decel after boost. Would VSS cause any of this? I doubt it since I am seeing oil in my IC piping on rear turbo, sounds more like turbo seals to me but I've been fooled before.
    im telling you this, drop your downpipe, idle the car and look under the car and see if there is anysmoke coming from the front or rear bank. If it is coming from the rear which soulnds like it is...then vuwalauh...bad turbo. vss will smoke on idle more or less. im prety sure its your turbo. Just upgrade or get it rebuilt. Seems like what I might need to do.

-BOOSTTD- verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yeah that was my plan for this coming weekend if I can find the time. I've pretty much ruled out all else but the turbo seals. I've been meaning to drop the DP and check it out that way, but just haven't made the time since I don't drive it that much anymore because of a few issues I'm slowly sorting out. I'm gonna try to rebuild them myself if they're smoking and save up to convert the 9b's I just bought to 19T's

*EDIT* how many miles have you got on your 19t's now? I think I've got roughly ~1k on mine, but I'm pretty sure I killed the turbo seals by accidentally overfilling it with oil once :facepalm:
    Last edited by mh3kgt; 01-31-2011 at 04:21 PM.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    I'll post more later but for now, where are you blow through guys running the tube that was on the bubble?

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    i have a pepsi can...lol

-BOOSTTD- verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'm speed density but am still using the stock bubble for now. When I get twin intakes I plan on just putting a breather filter on the nipple from the rear head to bubble