Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebay NEX SS Coilovers review.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0 MRjayr's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Review: Ebay NEX SS Coilovers.

Just bought a set of these off ebay for 920 aud shipped to my door (offered him 550usd, he took it) cause my current OEM shocks + teins arent working out so well. The shocks are pretty much dead so i thought I must aswell get coilovers.

For anyone who's looking for good value for money, i think thess are a good cheap alternative. First impressions are they look a little cheap but could be from just the bad pics.
    I havent got them yet, but i will keep you guys posted on how they ride etc. Ive read some good and bad things but hoepfully ill be having a more positive experience with these.

Description of ebay.
    The NEX Type SS kit has all the features of a racing coilover without the harsh ride and cost. The NEX Type SS is designed to allow the vehicle to be lowered without affecting shock stroke or spring preload. This is done by seperating the spring preload adjustment from the ride height adjustment. As a result of this unique design, the ride quality is not affected by ride height! This is only found on a few kits! Adjustment range is for the front is 1.0"-2.5" and the rear is a 1.0"-2.0" adjustment range.
    They are 10kg front 8kg rear.

WHAT YOU GET
    4 Shocks
    4 Springs
    4 Upper mounts
    4 Forged lower mounts
    4 Dust boots
    2 Spanner wrenches
    Brakeline holder
    1 YEAR WARRANTY

*Pretty much cut & paste from the older thread. Should be getting them sometime this week. Will be more then happy to let you guys know how I go if anyones interested
    Last edited by MRjayr; 09-15-2010 at 05:47 AM.

One day....it will be on 4 wheels. supporter Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    want to give the Teins to me?
    Building a House, Car Mods on hold!
    1996 GTO, Owner since 2003.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Hahaha Mike im sure we can work something out Perhaps lifters for springs? hehe My only worry is i might have a hard time getting the car to pass rwc next April when the NSW rego expires with the coilovers.. :S

Owner Since

Thanks
    ohh, you only had springs...my bad (thought you had the tein coil overs)

Twin Turbo verified Feedback Score 5 (100%) GTOJOE's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Don't you already have a set of those Mike?

Owner Since

Thanks
    yes...but they might be super streets aka legal...mine are not (Flex)

Owner Since

Thanks
    OK, just received the coilovers And this is what I got.

Box

The front strut appears to be of a good standard and to me looks high in quality and build and have a nice red and gold to finish them. The spring used is a Maxspeed with 10kg rating. With quality ISO-9001 Certified and
    QS-9000 Certified. The ride hight and preload are both adjustable. The dampner level can also be adjusted with 1-4 settings. 1 being hardest 4 being softest.

What you get in the front strut box; Manuals, 2 cable ties and 4 plastic blocks with 2 screws. I assume they are the brake line holder/bracket. 2 spanners also come with the kit for adjusting the locking nuts.

As GTO's are pretty heavy I try monitor the exact weight of things i add/change to the car. The front strut weighed in at exactly 6.2kg. Uncertain if there is weight saving if any..

The rear struts mirror the front struts finish, appearance and quality. Has the same features as the fronts with ride height and spring preload adjustablity. It too shares the 1-4 dampner settings. The rears also use a Maxspeed spring rated at 8kg

The rears are slightly lighter weighing in at only 5.2kg

Top of rear coilover, showing dampner knob in red.

Im fairly busy this weekend, but ill try to install them as soon as I can, to give you guys a better review on the coilovers such as ride and any problems I come across if any.

Regards,
    Jay
    Last edited by MRjayr; 09-15-2010 at 05:30 AM. Reason: forgot a picture

Roo fuckers anonymous verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) GTO Assassin's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    A better review? Just A review would be awesome Jay. Get to it man.

Scotty

Owner Since

Thanks
    Good afternoon gents!
    Thursday night i attempted to do the install but backed out after i did 1 coilover. I noticed there was no way to attach the brake line bracket. And retro fitting it just looked wrong even when using there 2 plastic black blocks they include to support the abs and brake line.

It was getting late & i wasnt happy with how the lines where sitting so i left it stock. Last night after coming up with a solution for the bracket i installed all 4. Labour time was just under 3 hours.

Being a OHS rep at work its Safety first! So before getting started i recommend the following items;
    Safety Glasses; cause dust in your eyes from the wheel arch's are a bitch!
    2x3000kg car stands.
    Hydralic Trolley Jack atleast 1500kg.
    Gloves: Cause i have enough scars from working on my cars!
    And scissor jack to be used as a secondary. (You will need to use the hydralic jack from time to time to lift the knucklt assembly to easily align the holes.)

Before installing, i preset all the coilovers as an estimate with the ride height and spring preload cause its easier to adjust vs having it on the car already. For the fronts i gave them a 40mm gap between the spring locking nut and the ride height nut. Then another 30mm from the inner piston of the shock to the 2 bolt assembly fixture. I didnt worry too much about the preload cause i will be having them tuned professionally.

To align the camber bolt and the bottom bolt onto the coilover i found using the trolley jack as a support helped in guiding it in and probably saved my lower back trying to lift it to align

The only con about the NEX SS Coilovers are they dont have any fixture for our brake lines or abs line. A simple solution i used was to just get some industrial grade adhesive and bond a 10mm nut to the bottom of the strut. This will also retain the factory look.
    I would also advise to spray the threading of the coilovers for easier adjustment with WD40

Heres a picture of the brake line bracket with a bolt in it ready for fitment on the nut.

Finished product, bracket in the same factory position
    Last edited by MRjayr; 09-17-2010 at 11:32 PM.
    See no EVO, hear no EVO, FEAR NO EVO!

Owner Since

Thanks
    When fitting the rears also use the trolley jack to assist you with alignment. Dont kill your back.
    For the rears i also preset the ride height and the spring preload. I set the gapping between the the ride height nut and the preload nut at 95mm. To get an even outcome i set both rear preloads at 200mm.

With these settings the car dropped a further 3cms and the wheel was sitting only 1cm from the guard The car looked very sexy as always and looked more aggressive. I didnt fuss too much with the settings cause i knew id need to take it to a professional to set the corner weights, correct the camber, roll the guards, make sure my ride height and car weight was distrubuted evenly. I took the car to Centreline in Thomastown and is there as we speak. They have 30+ years in track & racing experience and from what i saw at there shop looked highly professional. Should get the car back in a few hours
    Because im still in the "braking them in" period i had the spring rebound setting to the softest setting 4

Be sure to also apply the correct torque settings on the bolts. I got an adjustable torque wrench from work. Bottom bolts are 95-100nm and all the top bolts are 45nm.

I weighted the OEM suspension however this cant be a true idicator because of my Tien springs which are lighter then the factory ones. Uncertain in difference of spring weight.
    The OEM fronts with Teins came in at 10.4kg and the rears at 5.1.

Weight savings
    Fronts -4.2
    Rear +100grams
    Which brings it to a total weight saving of 4.1kg. Over a full standard system i think this would be closer to 6 or 7kg.

Verdict
    PRO
    For $920 AUD delivered to your door you cant go wrong. Driving the car to Centreline i didint notice any new squeaks or groans. The ride is firm but still comfortable and acceptable for daily driving. I think this setup is a good compromise between daily and track use, fronts are rated at 10kg & rears 8kg so they arent too stiff.
    The package came with everything i needed and i coudlnt find any faults in the products. Its still early days, we'll see how we go but i am feeling confident with this setup.

CON
    No abs or brake line bracket or attachment. I had to make my own, which is very easy anyway.
    The pillow ball of the front struts look a little dull and would even pass for a stock system, to me this is a PRO but for those who want that extra bling with a logo on there strut this would be a CON.

Hope this review helps. Enjoy!

Jay
    Last edited by MRjayr; 09-17-2010 at 11:43 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MRjayr For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast