Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok...so how do i put one of these in my car?

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks

ok...so how do i put one of these in my car?

Forum User verified Feedback Score 4 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    In the late 40s/early 50s, GM had what amounted to an "infinite" automatic gearbox. Oldsmobile called it "Hydro-Matic" and Buick designated it "Dyna-Flow" IIRC. It essentially had no noticeable "gears". Maybe we're headed there again?

Owner Since

Thanks
    But, to answer your question: "With great amounts of cutting, fabricating and welding."

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    What about the CVT transmissions that a lot of the hybrids have? Wouldn't that be best for power and economy?

Stuper Moderator Feedback Score 0 HilbillyHomeboy's Avatar
    Owner Since
    January 2003

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BaadVR4 View Post
    In the late 40s/early 50s, GM had what amounted to an "infinite" automatic gearbox. Oldsmobile called it "Hydro-Matic" and Buick designated it "Dyna-Flow" IIRC. It essentially had no noticeable "gears". Maybe we're headed there again?
    I'm not following what you mean on "infinite automatic gearbox"? Those two transmissions are quite different.

The early hydramatics had no torque converter, they had 3 planetaries and a fluid coupling(I've got one in the garage in the form of a 53 Pontiac). Dynaflow relied solely on a tq converter and yes it was extremely smooth, as in you couldn't feel them shift at all(they only had two forward gears though, where hydras had 4). Early hydramatics have no "park" setting. After you shut them down, you put it in reverse and it locks the driveline. People always flip out when they look at the selector in my Pontiac. Then they really flip when I tell them it has no oil filter, haha.

I'm fairly into old Pontiacs and Buicks, got one of each.

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Echo419 View Post
    Douches

Advanced Tech? verified Feedback Score 0 i3igpete's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91stealthrt2 View Post
    What about the CVT transmissions that a lot of the hybrids have? Wouldn't that be best for power and economy?
    The problem is that "CVT" is a catchall term for many different kinds of transmissions, and so far most aren't reliable enough for the loads greater than produced by a dinky hybrid engine. another problem is that most CVTs have much higher power losses than traditional gears because they are friction-driven. This means heat (and thus reliability).
    Maddog Performance Engineering

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by i3igpete View Post
    The problem is that "CVT" is a catchall term for many different kinds of transmissions, and so far most aren't reliable enough for the loads greater than produced by a dinky hybrid engine. another problem is that most CVTs have much higher power losses than traditional gears because they are friction-driven. This means heat (and thus reliability).
    BINGO.

which is why the evo's now have DCT's, not CVT's. and i'd be happy to put a DCT in there (paddle-shifters and all) if it was remotely feasible. unfortunately, it's about as simple as putting one of these 8-speeds in. (which is to say it's not).

1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    So chicks must be pretty excited about this.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Owner Since

Thanks
    You are absolutely correct. I was commenting on the evolution of gear boxes having ever more speeds, with a touch of sarcasm about how we seem to be headed for a trans which would act like it had an "infinite" number of gears like the early GM units. I remember the advertising for the Buick Dyna-Flow in particular made a big deal out of the smooth application of power without any noticeable gear shifting.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I'm not following what you mean on "infinite automatic gearbox"? Those two transmissions are quite different.

The early hydramatics had no torque converter, they had 3 planetaries and a fluid coupling(I've got one in the garage in the form of a 53 Pontiac). Dynaflow relied solely on a tq converter and yes it was extremely smooth, as in you couldn't feel them shift at all(they only had two forward gears though, where hydras had 4). Early hydramatics have no "park" setting. After you shut them down, you put it in reverse and it locks the driveline. People always flip out when they look at the selector in my Pontiac. Then they really flip when I tell them it has no oil filter, haha.

I'm fairly into old Pontiacs and Buicks, got one of each.

Jeremy

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inperfectdarkness View Post
    BINGO.

which is why the evo's now have DCT's, not CVT's. and i'd be happy to put a DCT in there (paddle-shifters and all) if it was remotely feasible. unfortunately, it's about as simple as putting one of these 8-speeds in. (which is to say it's not).
    People can't even reliably swap the SSTs in the Evo, so good luck swapping it into something else. I test drove one of the SSTs, it sure is friggin sweet. If I had to commute into the city more often, I would have considered buying that instead, but the price penalty wasn't worth it, IMO.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast