Thread: Help! Oil Leak Driver Side... picture included.

Help! Oil Leak Driver Side... picture included.

It would appear that I have an oil leak on the drivers side. I don't notice any drops on the ground where I park or anything. I think there is some oil getting on the timing belt because it can be awfully squeaky sometimes. The oil is on the driver's side cross member, oil filter, and on mainly the driver side of the oil pan. I also saw some oil sitting on the bolts of the oil pan as well. Thinking it might be the oil filter I changed it 1000 miles ago but that obviously was not the problem. Oil level is also normal, not even near low yet. Sorry for picture quality I only had my phone on me.

Its a 97 VR4 with 152K and has records of 120K service at the dealership.

Any suggestions? I'd like to get this fixed before it gets any worse.

John

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    It could be a bad crank seal. I would pull the front timing belt cover and look at the cam seals. See if they are leaking or if the timing belt is wet. If they aren't leaking and the belt is wet, then it's definitely the crank seal.

-BOOSTTD- verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Ya probably cam seals or possibly crank seal. Pull the timing cover like Hans said to double check. You should be able to tell quite quickly with the cover removed. Maybe even let the car idle and warm up with the covers off to see if you can trace the leak that way.

Removed the timing belt cover and saw some oil on the block in between the cam gears. The belt looks clean though. Here are some pics. Also what is that white stuff? Should it be there or look like that?

John

Also, there was some oil in the rear intercooler pipe. When I touched the inside of the pipe with my finger there was some oil residue on it.

-BOOSTTD- verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    A slight film of oil in the IC piping is normal. If there are puddles however there's a problem. That white stuff looks like somebody used some sort of silicone to make a valve cover gasket. Could be the source of your leak since the oil is that high up on the block. That or cam seals. I'd probably start off with getting a new set of valve cover gaskets and replace to see if it stops your leak. If not, better look into cam seals. Also, how is your PCV valve? If it's faulty it could be pressurizing your heads and causing your seals to blow out. I believe that is what caused my cam seals to start leaking recently.

-BOOSTTD- verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I agree with steve for once lol. Degrease the engine and double check your PCV valve. It's probably shot causing too much pressure in your heads and making either your valve covers or your cam seals leak...

Wrench Monkey Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    A few things I think you should check. Oil cap gasket - Valve cover gaskets - Oil cooler lines/Oil cooler (judging by the rust under there, you should check these anyway)

There's always the possibility of a head gasket leak. I had a external head gasket oil leak at 120k in the same area.
    1997 3000GT VR4 - Solano Black Pearl - E85 - E316G-BIG - All the boost
    1993 3000GT VR4 - Maroon/Blacktop - Back to stock/Restoration
    1994 Stealth R/T - Primer - Parts store

Padawan garage troll Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Also, in that area you have your brake fluid resevoir, mine happens to be leaking there. This is also where someone mentioned about real techs tasting it, not just smelling the fluid to determine what exactly it is. The oil pan gasket could be a culprit as well.

There is another thread about methods to relieve some of the crankcase pressure developed by boost and the poorly functioning stock PCV valve. The general consensus is to use an oil catch can.

Autozone does sell the additive for leak detection, you can get the UV light on a flexible line and yellow goggles at a good price from Amazon.
    Last edited by Roybatty; 01-27-2011 at 02:30 PM.