Thread: Damn you transmission!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Damn you transmission!

So today I was driving to work and I stop at a red light, like I'm supposed to do and all. Then, I roll out in to the street in first as I shift it in to second I think, "That was a little too easy." I let out the clutch and start to rev the engine and nothing! It was like second gear just disappeared. No noise, no rattling or anything. I called up a transmission shop that is highly recommended in the triangle area and they said it could take weeks to fix because they are really behind and they have always had trouble getting parts for the VR4's.

sidnote: The mechanic told me that one dipshit blew up his tranny 3 times in a TT Stealth before daddy pulled the plug on him and took away the credit card. Anyways, back to the story.

As I know that it's going to need some substantial work I was hoping to get my hands on one of those IPS transmission they have coming from the motherland, but they said it could be a month or 2 before they arrive in the US. I don't have a back up car, and it's too damn cold to ride the motorcycle. Why are our transmission $5000??? I digress, I just needed to blow off some steam. [/rant]

Anyone have a good W6MG1 lying around? LOL
    Moving on to reality. Sold my 3KGT, and now I am selling off my parts.
    Click here to see my parts for sale

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have a couple extra 6 speeds. I can do $1300 plus shipping for one.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans@GZP View Post
    I have a couple extra 6 speeds. I can do $1300 plus shipping for one.
    What kind of shape is it in? I might have a way to buy a new one for that price if it comes down to me spending that much. Have you heard about IPS and their purchase of trannys? (not the cross dressing ones) LOL. If I'm in a pinch and I'm without a car for a long period of time I will be looking for a one and will keep you in mind.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrob View Post
    What kind of shape is it in? I might have a way to buy a new one for that price if it comes down to me spending that much. Have you heard about IPS and their purchase of trannys? (not the cross dressing ones) LOL. If I'm in a pinch and I'm without a car for a long period of time I will be looking for a one and will keep you in mind.
    Mine didn't grind when pulled out. I have 3 spare 6 speeds to choose from.

And the OEM 6 speeds sold out in only a few days of the sale. They only hope to possibly get more in from Mitsubishi. You can wait.... or get one now

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    just a heads up i lost second gear ones in my car and it ended up being the linkage was hitting the air filter tube and a turbo oil or water line from when obrian mitsubishi put in my engine

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    So, I called to get an update on my car today and they told me that someone dropped off a green VR-4 with similar problems to mine. How crazy is that? Anyone know someone who has a green VR4 in Raleigh who took their car to Griffin Transmissions lately?

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    @Hans
    I have been waiting to hear back from my transmission people and they don't really give me a warm and fuzzy feeling for letting them rebuild my tranny. If I were to buy one from you what kind of condition would I expect it to be in? How much would it cost for you to ship it to their door - 27610? I know this is going to sound crazy, but do you offer any kind of warranty? Also, could I sell you my busted one to offset the cost a little? :P Thanks

Never finishes any verified

Owner Since

Thanks
    So has the transmission shop even verified what the problem with the trans is yet?
    Have they even looked at the car or have they just been giving you caned answers?
    Is the car even drivable at this moment?
    Was it just second gear you lost?

[\Questions]

I don't know of anyone in the Raleigh area with a green VR-4????

Check it out on Youtube!!

93 Stealth TT - The Stealth Project

Renegade Tech Works ECS Controller on Intrax Springs
    Chrome ECU
    Hybrid 13g's
    EVO 560cc Injectors
    Spec Stage 3 clutch
    Ninja Performance Output shaft & Input spool
    Ninja Performance Solid Tensioner & Gates racing T-Belt
    CX Racing Dual Core FMIC
    Megan SS Exhaust
    Fidanza Cam Gears and Clear Covers
    3rd Gen Lifters
    HKS BOV
    K&N FIPK
    Maximal High flow converter
    Walbro FP & FuelLab FPR
    Maximal and Seattle Solid Mounts
    All -6an Lines
    Custom -6AN coolant neck lines
    AWS/ABS/Cruise Delete
    MP Rear Control Arms
    SS Brake Lines
    99 Front Conversion
    2nd gen Rear Bumper
    99 Combat Wing
    Complete interior LED Swap
    Skillard Fuel channel
    Oohnoo FPR Bracket
    More to Come......

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yeah, they are giving me the run around. If the car was drivable I would drive it away from there and straight to 3SX. LOL The short answer is no, they have not verified anything yet, but they have had the car for almost 3 weeks now. WTF people! The problem changes. One minute I might not have second, at the next stop light I might not have first. I know I have effed up my shifting forks for sure. I also think I was in some need of sychros for 2nd and 3rd before all this happened. I was just hoping to make it til the summer so I could ride the bike while it was in the shop. Oh well, any suggestions?

XLR8TOR
    Owner Since

Thanks
    First I would make sure that all you shift linkage is working correctly. Have someone get inside the car with the engine off and move the shifter through the gears while your looking under the hood where you can see the transmission shift levers. Those levers are locked onto the shafts with a single pin through the shaft. If that pin breaks or comes out you will have action at both ends of the shift cables but it will not be transferred to the transmissions internals like it is supposed to.

Also, verify that if you can start the car and put it in, say third, does the car move forward if you slowly let out the clutch. Make sure you don't do this with anything of value in front of your car in case it decides to take off.

Does you clutch disengage completely.

Bottom line here is there are several things you can do to verify what the problem IS NOT. Everything that is working is one thing less you have to look for.