This. is. bullshit.

Sprint will increase its postpaid rates by applying a $10 per month Premium Data add-on charge to activations of smartphones beginning Jan. 30. The charge will assist Sprint in offering simple and affordable unlimited plans for its customers while maintaining a wireless network able to meet the growing appetite for a richer mobile experience. Subscribers with smartphones will still receive the best value in wireless, including the Any Mobile, Anytime feature offered nationwide only by Sprint.
Sprint Newsroom | Smartphones Drive Wireless Data Explosion

From what I hear, those of us currently with Sprint will be grandfathered in until we upgrade phones, perform an ESN swap (new phone due to damage), or change our plans at all.

Soooooo . . . if you're on Sprint now and want a new phone, you've got less than two weeks to do it or you'll be paying an extra $10/mo if you do it on or after Jan 30. I'm going to wrap my Bb in bubble wrap so I don't break this fucker. (already broke it once in the 3 months I've had it)

Cell phones are getting ridiculous. I love how my simple Bb Curve is categorized as a 'data heavy phone'. Just a bunch of BS so I can subisidize all the jackasses with touchscreen phones who stream video and crap all day.