Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to rebuild your FWD 5 Speed Manual Transmission... (Guide)

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't know anything about that would I Hans?
    shit happens

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R/T93 View Post
    Oh my reverse works, it always has, it just pops out when any amount of power is put into it. It holds longer if i "hold" the lever in reverse, but there is no way I can put any more than maybe 50 ft/lbs of torque through the gear before popping out.
    It could be a worn out sleeve for 1st/2nd and a worn out reverse idler gear. If those 2 things wear out too much, they won't stay engaged.

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans@GZP View Post
    shit happens
    Haha. It does. If it weren't for you I'd still not have a clue how to take a trans apart.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Never turned a wrench on a car and a couple month after owning my car I blew a hole out of the end case on my FWD. These pictures would have saved me alot of time, and I hope they do that for someone else
    My reverse is also kind of shifty (pun :P) I remember the entire assembly feeling odd when putting it back together, ill have to give it a look see.

Also, anyone know any resources for changing out synchros/stuff on the shaft? I like the idea of jacks transmission rebuild kits. Id assume you need some sort of press?
    Last edited by x2percentmilk; 01-18-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You will need a press and a gear puller to yank everything apart. We offer a rebuild service as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans@GZP For This Useful Post:

This thread is a huge help to me.

The input shaft in my 94 SL is leaking badly. If I remove the fist cover, take out 5th, and remove the 2nd cover, will the input shaft come out without parts falling off of it?

I do not have a press so I would take it to a machine shop to have the required bearing pressing off and on done to get to the seal.

I could take the whole transmission to a shop but I would guess they would not do anything below a flat $250 minimum rate to change a $10 seal. The machine shop I can pay much less.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    8/1/2010

Thanks
    Nothing will just fall apart, all the gears are held in place and just keep in mind to let it sit on the bell housing when you remove it so that you don't have any problems. Either way you can always reference my photos if you need.

1996 3000GT FWD TT
    Follow my build thread here
    http://www.socal3s.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=26259

June 30 2012 BBQ/POOL PARTY!!! Sign up guys!!!
    http://www.socal3s.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26348

I had the seal installed by a mechanic and he screwed it up. Now I have 1st gear in neutral, 2 and 3 move the car forward, no 4th, 5 is hard to get into, and reverse causes the engine to stall so it is going into a high forward gear in reverse.

I am getting a refund.

What do you think he screwed up? Did the forks get put back wrong?

Do you think I can look at your photos and put it back right? I have never done one before. I have done heads, pumps, and steering rack rebuilds.

Can the gears be put back wrong or do they only go in one way so the culprit is the fork installation?

I did not hear anything grind or break when I tested it out so the problem is with assembly.

What a headache. I wasted over 10 hours of labor for nothing. This is why I DIY things I am comfortable with.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    8/1/2010

Thanks
    First question is simple, VR4 5sp or 6sp, or NA? After that I can guide you in the right direction. I believe this could simply be incorectly installed shift levers. There is a specific way they are to go in otherwise the gear wont work and you have to do it when the pressure ball bearings are in on the shafts.

94 NA 5 speed

I will likely take it apart this weekend and shoot pics as I do it so I can post them here if it will help you help me.

The mechanic wants me to bring it back but I am asking for at least a 75% refund. I'm not going to waste my time playing the install and remove transmission game.