Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are silver aftermarket wheels not as popular as gunmetal, Ti, hyperblack, bronze?

Charter Member verified
    Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks

Question Why are silver aftermarket wheels not as popular as gunmetal, Ti, hyperblack, bronze?

I am considering replacing the old, heavy, worn stock rims on my black Gen 1 R/T TT. I don't care for the flat 5 or 6 spoke look of the popular choices, nor do I want the blacked-out look on my car with the darker rims. I think a polished or silver mid-weight 10-spoke or web design, such as the Advan RS or BBS RS-GT would be really sharp, though, admittedly, expensive. I have always like the look of the BBS rims on the Dodge Viper ACRs and competition cars. However, I just don't see pictures of the Advan RS in silver on 3Si cars. (Advan RS Gunmetal)

Second question -- it seems 18x9 is a commonly recommended size to step up to. What offset should I use to keep the most "natural" look, without the tires sitting way out, or needing a fender or wheel shave, while still clearing the brakes. I have stock brake rotors/calipers, but may some day upgrade them.

And finally, how do I justify this purchase to my wife for my bone-stock DD? She wants to know if I will get better gas mileage for my 5 mile commute.

Thanks,

Geordon
    [SOLD] Black '92 R/T TT
    Tein H springs
    K&N Airfilter
    (119,000 miles -- original owner)

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Can't really give you an offset because there are many factors that go into determining if the wheel will fit, like spoke design.

Looking at the Advan RS 18x9, I would go with the 35mm offset. The 45mm *might* clear.

I have a set of Advan RSD in black-chrome powder coat and its a 35mm offset. This offset is fine for the front although the design of the spokes might have allowed the 45mm offset. The back really needs to be 45mm offset if you want to put a nice wide tire back there on an 18x9 size wheel like mine. They do not stick out from the bodywork at 35mm but the back 275s strike the fender lip when you launch. I am going to pull the camber in a few degrees in the back to clear and I need to raise my drop 1/2" so it has some room to tuck on launches.....or I could get a lip roller and push the lip in some. If your looking for a good size 18x9 in a 40mm offset is ideal if the spokes give the calipers enough room. ie. Volk TE37 .

Charter Member verified
    Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dbest671 View Post
    Can't really give you an offset because there are many factors that go into determining if the wheel will fit, like spoke design.

Looking at the Advan RS 18x9, I would go with the 35mm offset. The 45mm *might* clear.
    Thanks for the suggestion of 35mm. With 40mm right in between, I wasn't sure which way to go. I am really liking the pictures I see of the Enkei GTC01, which I would get 18x9 +40mm, probably mounted with 255/40R18, similar to DG's 1 Gen TT.
    Red '93 R/T TT

My '92 R/T TT is black, so I searched for an example in black:
    Black GT-R

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I know these are the simpler 5 spoke design you mentioned but MAN I love them and they seem to be a popular style for the platform.

They are offered in a ton of different offsets and sizes, color variations and all the what nots. Just thought I'd show the link because it is the polished aluminum look that I think you might be looking for

rawr. verified
    Owner Since
    August 2009

Thanks
    I have TSW Stings Painted Black but them come in Stainless steel or polished.

Not A DSM verified
    Owner Since
    June 2006

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MADMarc View Post
    I know these are the simpler 5 spoke design you mentioned but MAN I love them and they seem to be a popular style for the platform.

They are offered in a ton of different offsets and sizes, color variations and all the what nots. Just thought I'd show the link because it is the polished aluminum look that I think you might be looking for
    That I really like. I had the silver matte version of those on my car and I didn't like them. I had no idea they made them in polished.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I second the +35mm suggestion. 18x9 is flush with that offset.

Charter Member verified
    Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks
    The Enkei GTC01 17x9 and 18x9 don't have +35mm, but are available in +40mm. I think the 17x9.5 (+22mm or +38mm) will be too wide to keep the tires from going out past the fender?
    GTC 01 specs

I am thinking 17" is the way to go to keep tire cost down, and I can still do a wider tire. Would I do 255/45R17 on the 9" wide and 275/40R17 on the 9.5" rim? The 265/40 is close, as well, but the rolling diameter is only 25.4", which would make my speedometer off even further. Would that matter?

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    That I really like. I had the silver matte version of those on my car and I didn't like them. I had no idea they made them in polished.
    It's difficult to tell in the picture but I ordered the ones with the polished face and outer ring but the insides of each of the spokes is powdercoated black. They do offer a completely polished wheel now from what I saw with their new "Hot Version." Only difference besides the finishes is that the FN01-RC is engraved rather than a decal or paint.

And to the OP, are tires much cheaper for a 17 than an 18" wheel? If you ever see yourself regretting not going a small size larger I'd recommend just doing it so you dont ever feel like you wasted your funds. ...just my opinion