Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think happened

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 3 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks

What do you think happened

As some of you may know I stored my car for the winter and put some 19t's on it. I primed the turbos by removing the fuse to the fuel pump and just cranked the motor a few times. After priming the turbos I let it sit for a few hours then came back and started it and when I did it started then made a whole bunch of noise and stopped running. Come to find out I bent all my valves but 2 cuz they were broken. I took the timing belt off didnt look messed up at all. Took the hydraulic tensioner off and it was fine, it took me a while on the vise to get it set back to put the pin in. The 60k was done in June so I dont know what to think. Any opinions?

No sheep are safe tonight supporter Feedback Score 4 (100%) Valhallaz's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    If you bent valves, had to be a timing issue. How many miles were put on it after the 60k? In putting the turbos on, could you have somehow counter rotated the engine?

Forum User Feedback Score 0 FluffyCow's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Bent valves = timing issue. No other way I know of to bend them like that(if it was only one cylinder I'd say possibly a piston/rod issue)

1991 Dodge Stealth ES
    - Sold
    1991 Fiji/Mystic Blue R/T TT 1 of 235(paint/R/T TT only, can't find more info, VIN is a 1 of none number)
    Sold.
    1992 silver VR-4 - 1 of 152 identical
    Show: 99 Sails, 99 rear garnish, 2nd-gen steering wheel, Pioneer Premier h/u, aftermarket speakers(Alpine type s's I think), 10 inch JL W1 sub in spnallb corner box.
    Go: 15G Turbos, FMIC, ATR DP, ACT clutch, 3-inch turbo back to dual apexi N1 mufflers, no cats, HKS SSQV3 BOV(black), PWR rad, Ksport coilovers, 3sx rear adj. control arms, ChromedECU, ECU Boost control, rebuilt TB, Cianci gauge pod w/ Defi D-series(Boost, EGT, oil pres), 93 shifter.
    Soon: 550cc injectors, ChromeTune, boosties!

1987 Dodge Ramcharger - The back-up plan/winter beater. Mods: Non-computerized timing, custom white gauge faces and red LED illumination, cat-back straight pipe, Chevy seats, Ford running boards, and MOPAR everything else.
    Wife's ride: 2014 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Wifeboosties, go!
    Family-mobile: 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan. Dogs love minivans!

Owner Since

Thanks
    Yeah I know that now. 2 valves were actually broken off and sitting on the pistons. Wondering if the guy that did it didnt tighten the tensioner enough.

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Even tightened enough you should not rotate the engine counter clockwise. It still has the possibility of depressing the tensioner and making it jump time.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) RealMcCoy's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The fact that it started makes me discount the theory that you caused this prior to that point. Whatever happened occured after it started. The fact that it broke valves off completely tells me that those valves were fully open when the piston hit them, not just a few teeth off on the timing.

Given all the evidence, I would propose a different theory... I think you fired it up with bad fuel in it, and stuck all the valve guides.

Real Performance Automotive (541)816-4500 www.FB.com/RealPerformanceAuto

Owner Since

Thanks
    you know what. it did look like all the valve guides were stuck when I took the lower manifold off. What do you think I should do,drain the tank or just add some Stabil? I didnt think that would cause that much damage.

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    How old was the gas? Hell I let my Stealth sit for 8 months once and fired it right up and ran it on that gas with no issues.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) RealMcCoy's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whitedevilstealth View Post
    you know what. it did look like all the valve guides were stuck when I took the lower manifold off. What do you think I should do,drain the tank or just add some Stabil? I didnt think that would cause that much damage.
    If that is in fact what happened, you need to get all the bad gas out before you start it again... Stabilizers prevent it from going bad, it won't reverse the process.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    How old was the gas? Hell I let my Stealth sit for 8 months once and fired it right up and ran it on that gas with no issues.
    It's really a crap shoot, and depends a lot on the quality of the fuel, and the additives in it. Apparently stabilizer additives add to production cost, and are often considered unneeded... I've seen it more often since my state mandated E10 fuels, it seems to go bad faster. We fix two to three cars a year for this issue.

Owner Since

Thanks
    whatsthe best way to drain it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast