Thread: Pioneer AVIC Z-120BT Head Unit.

Forum User
    Owner Since
    Before 3Si.

Thanks

Pioneer AVIC Z-120BT Head Unit.

After a long time, I finally managed to obtain and get one of these installed in my daily driver (2001 Diamante LS.) I also had the Pioneer XM reciever installed and the Pioneer bypass hack to allow on the fly GPS route modification if needed and also allows for video playback whether file or physical DVD on the main screen.

After a few weeks of driving around with it, I'm still learning more and more about it. It's currently only wired up to factory speakers and I know I will have to replace them with some amplified aftermarket ones soon.

Other than that, this thing has a crazy amount of features.

First things, first.

Audio playback: CD's, DVD, SD cards, USB keys, iPod, bluetooth streaming, and XM/Sirius.
    Video playback: CD files, SD card files, DVD movies, USB files.

Navigation: So far, so good. I love the fact that when you are navigating on a highway or multiple lane road, it shows you what lane you need to be in for your upcoming exit to another road. It also has a countdown meter on the side to let you know quite precisely at what point your turn is. Route modification and programming is also quite easy. While in GPS mode, it also shows you your audio listening information at the very bottom of the screen.

Bluetooth calling: This is the only feature I'm disapointed in. Even though the installation of the microphone is rather close, even with my windows up and defroster off, I still sound hollow to the other caller. I still haven't figured out how to sync my phone book alphabetically by first name either.

Voice commands: this is one of those features I'm still working the bugs out of. Seems to have a little bit of a learning curve.

Bluetooth audio streaming: is awesome. Love it.

I know I could go further in depth but, I can honestly say that I'm rather happy with the unit. Anything you want to know or I left out, ask me

I'm Marcus
    Owner Since
    '98

Thanks
    So my other half has been looking at the z-120BT to drop in as the head unit for her Spyder. The other units we are considering are the new 2011 Kenwood units just announced at CES - either the DNX7190 or the Excellon DNX9980HD.

I've read mixed reviews on the quality of the Navigation package overall for the z-120BT. But you seem happy with the way it behaves for you. The Kenwoods use Garmin.

oh - and in your list of devices where Video Playback is supported I'm pretty sure it supports IPod/IPhone video playback via the special USB/Iphone/Ipod dock cable that is sold for the z-120BT.

Favorite Car - A 1998 RED VR4 , pretty much stock except: Suspension: '94 ECS Struts Retrofit w/ Tein H-Techs controlled by TechWorks ECS Suspension Controller

www.renegadetechworks.com Open Source 3000gt ECS Retrofit & Replacement Controllers

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have sold and fitted 5 of the Kenwood DNX7360BTNAV this month alone. Beats anything else out there at the moment. Also reliability is great from these units...
    "Video games don't affect kids, I mean if Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."

PIONEER-ODR RS-K1/C-100/C-200/RS-P50 X2/RS-P1/RS-M1
    DIAMOND-AUDIO HEX 8" X2/HEX SILK DOME TWEETERS X4/D7-401 AMP X2/D7-402 X1/D7-152 AMP X1/D7-104 AMP X1 ETON 4-300/25HEX 4" X4 AUDIO-CONTROL EPIC-160
    ECLPISE 10" TITANIUM (SUBSONICS) X2 SW9102
    PHOENIX-GOLD 12" CYCLONES (INFRASONICS) X2 DC SERVOS http://webfaq.phoenixphorum.com/cyclone.htm
    FUSION 7 COLOUR L.E.D KITS X4 2 MODIFIED. Intergrated lighting through out install.
    1994-MITSUBISHI-GTO-TWIN-TURBO-4WD-4WS-FULLY OPTIONED-SERIOUSLY being MODIFIED

Roo fuckers anonymous verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reallyxxxxxxloud View Post
    I have sold and fitted 5 of the Kenwood DNX7360BTNAV this month alone. Beats anything else out there at the moment. Also reliability is great from these units...
    Not to any of your Aussie GTO mates at an unbelievably reduced mates rate.

Scotty

I'm Marcus
    Owner Since
    '98

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reallyxxxxxxloud View Post
    I've got a DNX5120 with all the addons installed in my VR4. I have been really really pleased with it. The only thing I don't like is the hands Free Mike -> Bluetooth BT120 -> Iphone 4 performance. Audio Quality Sucks. Cant use it.

Duke

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GTO Assassin View Post
    Not to any of your Aussie GTO mates at an unbelievably reduced mates rate.

Scotty
    Yeah no problem I'll get you one at cost if you want... FB me and I'll send you details...

duke3k they use the brand Parrot for their car kit it probably just needs a software update... Parrot has 70% of the after-market sales in BT car kits....
    Last edited by reallyxxxxxxloud; 01-13-2011 at 03:02 AM.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I got this in january and cant wait to get my car back to start install. What did you do with the gap around the stock faceplate opening? and is the Pioneer install kit a waste of money or worthwhile?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OBXBoost View Post
    After a long time, I finally managed to obtain and get one of these installed in my daily driver (2001 Diamante LS.) I also had the Pioneer XM reciever installed and the Pioneer bypass hack to allow on the fly GPS route modification if needed and also allows for video playback whether file or physical DVD on the main screen.

After a few weeks of driving around with it, I'm still learning more and more about it. It's currently only wired up to factory speakers and I know I will have to replace them with some amplified aftermarket ones soon.

Other than that, this thing has a crazy amount of features.

First things, first.

Audio playback: CD's, DVD, SD cards, USB keys, iPod, bluetooth streaming, and XM/Sirius.
    Video playback: CD files, SD card files, DVD movies, USB files.

Navigation: So far, so good. I love the fact that when you are navigating on a highway or multiple lane road, it shows you what lane you need to be in for your upcoming exit to another road. It also has a countdown meter on the side to let you know quite precisely at what point your turn is. Route modification and programming is also quite easy. While in GPS mode, it also shows you your audio listening information at the very bottom of the screen.

Bluetooth calling: This is the only feature I'm disapointed in. Even though the installation of the microphone is rather close, even with my windows up and defroster off, I still sound hollow to the other caller. I still haven't figured out how to sync my phone book alphabetically by first name either.

Voice commands: this is one of those features I'm still working the bugs out of. Seems to have a little bit of a learning curve.

Bluetooth audio streaming: is awesome. Love it.

I know I could go further in depth but, I can honestly say that I'm rather happy with the unit. Anything you want to know or I left out, ask me
    I read somewhere that its the microphone picking up speaker feed back, not a microphone placement problem

Forum User
    Owner Since
    Before 3Si.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blackandblu View Post
    I got this in january and cant wait to get my car back to start install. What did you do with the gap around the stock faceplate opening? and is the Pioneer install kit a waste of money or worthwhile?
    It was installed in my Diamante (it was in the first sentence.) There is no trim issues at all. I didn't use any install kits, I had it professionally installed to make sure if there was an issue, it would be covered. Too much invested to lose it due to a mistake.

Picture:

Last edited by OBXBoost; 02-08-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Owner Since
    2008; 1993 3000GT NA

Thanks
    I understand this is an old thread, but I know the 120 is almost the same as my x920bt. I think its just a very small difference in software or something...
    I seem to be enjoying mine. its a hell lot better than the other pioneer POS I had in there.
    2008 Afghan Veteran
    2012 Kuwait

'93 3000GT (FWD, NA, Auto) Rebuild / STG1
    Car back from Pampena Motorsports. Creative project/mission name still to be decided.