Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Pioneer AVIC Z-120BT Head Unit.

  1. #1
    Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Before 3Si.

    Location
    Outer Banks
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts

    Pioneer AVIC Z-120BT Head Unit.

    After a long time, I finally managed to obtain and get one of these installed in my daily driver (2001 Diamante LS.) I also had the Pioneer XM reciever installed and the Pioneer bypass hack to allow on the fly GPS route modification if needed and also allows for video playback whether file or physical DVD on the main screen.

    After a few weeks of driving around with it, I'm still learning more and more about it. It's currently only wired up to factory speakers and I know I will have to replace them with some amplified aftermarket ones soon.

    Other than that, this thing has a crazy amount of features.

    First things, first.

    Audio playback: CD's, DVD, SD cards, USB keys, iPod, bluetooth streaming, and XM/Sirius.
    Video playback: CD files, SD card files, DVD movies, USB files.

    Navigation: So far, so good. I love the fact that when you are navigating on a highway or multiple lane road, it shows you what lane you need to be in for your upcoming exit to another road. It also has a countdown meter on the side to let you know quite precisely at what point your turn is. Route modification and programming is also quite easy. While in GPS mode, it also shows you your audio listening information at the very bottom of the screen.

    Bluetooth calling: This is the only feature I'm disapointed in. Even though the installation of the microphone is rather close, even with my windows up and defroster off, I still sound hollow to the other caller. I still haven't figured out how to sync my phone book alphabetically by first name either.

    Voice commands: this is one of those features I'm still working the bugs out of. Seems to have a little bit of a learning curve.

    Bluetooth audio streaming: is awesome. Love it.

    I know I could go further in depth but, I can honestly say that I'm rather happy with the unit. Anything you want to know or I left out, ask me

  2. #2
    I'm Marcus Feedback Score 0 duke3k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    '98

    Location
    Denver Colorado
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 49 Times in 28 Posts
    So my other half has been looking at the z-120BT to drop in as the head unit for her Spyder. The other units we are considering are the new 2011 Kenwood units just announced at CES - either the DNX7190 or the Excellon DNX9980HD.

    I've read mixed reviews on the quality of the Navigation package overall for the z-120BT. But you seem happy with the way it behaves for you. The Kenwoods use Garmin.

    oh - and in your list of devices where Video Playback is supported I'm pretty sure it supports IPod/IPhone video playback via the special USB/Iphone/Ipod dock cable that is sold for the z-120BT.


    Favorite Car - A 1998 RED VR4 , pretty much stock except: Suspension: '94 ECS Struts Retrofit w/ Tein H-Techs controlled by TechWorks ECS Suspension Controller

    www.renegadetechworks.com Open Source 3000gt ECS Retrofit & Replacement Controllers

  3. #3
    Forum User Feedback Score 0 reallyxxxxxxloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2005

    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    I have sold and fitted 5 of the Kenwood DNX7360BTNAV this month alone. Beats anything else out there at the moment. Also reliability is great from these units...
    "Video games don't affect kids, I mean if Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."

    PIONEER-ODR RS-K1/C-100/C-200/RS-P50 X2/RS-P1/RS-M1
    DIAMOND-AUDIO HEX 8" X2/HEX SILK DOME TWEETERS X4/D7-401 AMP X2/D7-402 X1/D7-152 AMP X1/D7-104 AMP X1 ETON 4-300/25HEX 4" X4 AUDIO-CONTROL EPIC-160
    ECLPISE 10" TITANIUM (SUBSONICS) X2 SW9102
    PHOENIX-GOLD 12" CYCLONES (INFRASONICS) X2 DC SERVOS http://webfaq.phoenixphorum.com/cyclone.htm
    FUSION 7 COLOUR L.E.D KITS X4 2 MODIFIED. Intergrated lighting through out install.
    1994-MITSUBISHI-GTO-TWIN-TURBO-4WD-4WS-FULLY OPTIONED-SERIOUSLY being MODIFIED

  4. #4
    Roo fuckers anonymous verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) GTO Assassin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2001

    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    540
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reallyxxxxxxloud View Post
    I have sold and fitted 5 of the Kenwood DNX7360BTNAV this month alone. Beats anything else out there at the moment. Also reliability is great from these units...
    Not to any of your Aussie GTO mates at an unbelievably reduced mates rate.

    Scotty

  5. #5
    I'm Marcus Feedback Score 0 duke3k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    '98

    Location
    Denver Colorado
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 49 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reallyxxxxxxloud View Post
    I have sold and fitted 5 of the Kenwood DNX7360BTNAV this month alone. Beats anything else out there at the moment. Also reliability is great from these units...
    I've got a DNX5120 with all the addons installed in my VR4. I have been really really pleased with it. The only thing I don't like is the hands Free Mike -> Bluetooth BT120 -> Iphone 4 performance. Audio Quality Sucks. Cant use it.

    Duke

  6. #6
    Forum User Feedback Score 0 reallyxxxxxxloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2005

    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GTO Assassin View Post
    Not to any of your Aussie GTO mates at an unbelievably reduced mates rate.

    Scotty
    Yeah no problem I'll get you one at cost if you want... FB me and I'll send you details...

    duke3k they use the brand Parrot for their car kit it probably just needs a software update... Parrot has 70% of the after-market sales in BT car kits....
    Last edited by reallyxxxxxxloud; 01-13-2011 at 04:02 AM.

  7. #7
    Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Owner Since

    Posts
    29
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    I got this in january and cant wait to get my car back to start install. What did you do with the gap around the stock faceplate opening? and is the Pioneer install kit a waste of money or worthwhile?

  8. #8
    Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Owner Since

    Posts
    29
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OBXBoost View Post
    After a long time, I finally managed to obtain and get one of these installed in my daily driver (2001 Diamante LS.) I also had the Pioneer XM reciever installed and the Pioneer bypass hack to allow on the fly GPS route modification if needed and also allows for video playback whether file or physical DVD on the main screen.

    After a few weeks of driving around with it, I'm still learning more and more about it. It's currently only wired up to factory speakers and I know I will have to replace them with some amplified aftermarket ones soon.

    Other than that, this thing has a crazy amount of features.

    First things, first.

    Audio playback: CD's, DVD, SD cards, USB keys, iPod, bluetooth streaming, and XM/Sirius.
    Video playback: CD files, SD card files, DVD movies, USB files.

    Navigation: So far, so good. I love the fact that when you are navigating on a highway or multiple lane road, it shows you what lane you need to be in for your upcoming exit to another road. It also has a countdown meter on the side to let you know quite precisely at what point your turn is. Route modification and programming is also quite easy. While in GPS mode, it also shows you your audio listening information at the very bottom of the screen.

    Bluetooth calling: This is the only feature I'm disapointed in. Even though the installation of the microphone is rather close, even with my windows up and defroster off, I still sound hollow to the other caller. I still haven't figured out how to sync my phone book alphabetically by first name either.

    Voice commands: this is one of those features I'm still working the bugs out of. Seems to have a little bit of a learning curve.

    Bluetooth audio streaming: is awesome. Love it.

    I know I could go further in depth but, I can honestly say that I'm rather happy with the unit. Anything you want to know or I left out, ask me
    I read somewhere that its the microphone picking up speaker feed back, not a microphone placement problem

  9. #9
    Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Before 3Si.

    Location
    Outer Banks
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackandblu View Post
    I got this in january and cant wait to get my car back to start install. What did you do with the gap around the stock faceplate opening? and is the Pioneer install kit a waste of money or worthwhile?
    It was installed in my Diamante (it was in the first sentence.) There is no trim issues at all. I didn't use any install kits, I had it professionally installed to make sure if there was an issue, it would be covered. Too much invested to lose it due to a mistake.

    Picture:

    Last edited by OBXBoost; 02-08-2011 at 11:43 AM.

  10. #10
    Member Feedback Score 0 Slacker1357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Owner Since
    2008; 1993 3000GT NA

    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I understand this is an old thread, but I know the 120 is almost the same as my x920bt. I think its just a very small difference in software or something...
    I seem to be enjoying mine. its a hell lot better than the other pioneer POS I had in there.
    2008 Afghan Veteran
    2012 Kuwait

    '93 3000GT (FWD, NA, Auto) Rebuild / STG1
    Car back from Pampena Motorsports. Creative project/mission name still to be decided.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering