Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips on a system for a newbie

Forum User Feedback Score 0 Scorch's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Tips on a system for a newbie

Alright, so here's a brief summary. My father recently got an '06 Eclipse with the Rockford Fosgate sound system, including the 10" (I believe) sub in the back. After sitting in his car listening to some tunes, I really want to have that same effect in my 3000gt as well. I don't know a TON about systems, most of the work I've done in my cars was just replacing speakers or the receiver, but I haven't had to do anything with amps or subs.

My father is an electrician, so he can help me wire everything correctly, but he doesn't know much about amps and subs either except the basics. I really just want advice on what I should be looking for, and if anyone has any suggestions on anything they've had success with or think will fit my needs best.

I have aftermarket Alpine speakers I got to replace the 18 year old stock speakers, so that's all set. I basically want to just add a sub so that I have a more full sound in my car that's more enjoyable to listen to while driving. I don't want to rattle any body panels or have the neighborhood hear what I'm listening to, I just want a full, good, and occasionally loud sound.

I have the following questions (more may be added later on most likely):

Does the stock head unit for a '92 3000gt SL have a pre-amp output? I read online that some models had amps and some didn't. I have a CD in one of my single DIN slots, and a receiver/casette player in the other one. I'd like to keep my stock head unit, but most likely I'll be getting a double din head unit, since there's no point in keeping only one of the stock units. If anyone has any suggestions here for one go ahead and toss on in. I'd like to have one with storage space included so I could store all my music on that, but I know there are a few other methods as well.

What kind of amp should I buy? I've seen a lot of used ones online and I'm not against getting a used one unless there is a significant downside anyone knows of. I don't need the latest and greatest I just need one that will do my job well.

Lastly, what kind of sub should I look for? I really only need one, I like the way the Eclipse's 10" sounds, but is a 12" far better? I'm planning on making my own box for it that uses minimal space so I can still use my trunk. I saw some subs online that come pre-boxed, and some "bazooka" subs that came in a long tube. Not sure if there's an upside or downside to those either. I have the materials and ability to make my own if it doesn't work. Something like the '06 Eclipse's box is what I'm looking for. Here's a picture for reference:

A few other important notes, I don't listen to rap or hip hop. Mostly rock, metal, and the like. I'm a college student, so I'd like to keep this fairly inexpensive, I don't mind dropping some dough on this as I know I'll have to, and I'm cool with that. I just want the best bang for my buck.

Thanks for anyone who can help me out here with any suggestions at all. If I need to be more specific on anything to give you guys a better idea just let me know. Thanks again guys.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'll get started saying this much, a high quality head unit will net you the most significant change in sound quality if you have already done the speakers. It will also simplify connections for wiring everything else in, since it will already have sub/rear RCA outputs. Depending upon budget and desired features, I can strongly recommend Pioneer when you start looking, but I've also had good luck with JVC's older Arsenal units. I don't know much about their newer stuff which is why I'd try and get another opinion on that. However, if you're set on having a common brand theme in your car, Alpine's units are very nice for ipods and such, and also have pretty good sound quality.

Now, I know your focus question is on subwoofer, and in your case used may be a great way to go since you don't have particularly high demands of your system. If you are looking to have things install the easiest way possible, I'd recommend this box custom single 10" sub box for 3000GT/Stealths. I don't know if he'll ship the box, but I'm sure money talks. Then a decent quality sub(used subs here), mated to an amp of approximately the same power capacity should work nicely. Get an amp wiring kit for like $30 at walmart, put it all together with your amp hidden under the carpet to the left of the spare tire, and you should be set.

^
    |
    |
    That's the simplified version. Of course steps are in between all of that, but overall a pretty simple project costing approximately $200 for a nice double DIN and $300-200 for the amp, sub, box, and wiring. Even simpler though, if you don't want to go through the complexity of getting your own box and speaker and amp, try something like this powered sub. And put it underneath a seat or something. With this one you don't have to do anything fancy with your headunit either. Is it going to get you sound like your dad's eclipse? Probably not, but will it add depth and be easy to install? Absolutely.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Some good tips there. Those rough prices you quoted me are about what I expected, which is fine. And that sub box is pretty much what I'm looking for too. I think we will be able to create our own that will work similar to that one. Used subs and amps are all over craigslist and ebay. Perhaps I just want some guidelines on sizes and brands to go for, as that is mostly what I don't know.

I've never heard of that powered sub. It's really interesting, and tempting. I know my dad would like the idea. (He hates me suggesting I do anything to make my car less stock, and I kind of agree, I just want to keep it at least able to be returned to stock). Thanks for your input though there's a lot there that will be very helpful.

Owner Since

Thanks
    The cool thing about that sub box I showed you is that I have the double version of it, and it's extremely easy to remove. Fold down the rear seats and disconnect the wires. Done. So, in that respect you are definitely keeping the car stock-like and easily returned to it's original condition. As far as what subs to get, I haven't been in the market for years. I typically shop sales though, which is how I came to buy mine and I've had them for almost 7 years now, they've been great. If there is one area I'd say not to be cheap, it is the speaker, because a good speaker now will be a good speaker 10 years from now.

If you don't care about name brands and such, check out closeouts and speaker buyouts on partsexpress.com You can usually find some pretty good stuff there, and I can say with confidence that anything by Dayton will be pretty good quality stuff (I've built 6 different speakers with their components). Just be careful to measure tolerances so that whatever you get, fits in the location or box that you buy or build.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Alright, thanks for those tips. I was looking around online at more subs with amps like you said, just to try out and see if I really like them or not, since they're really inexpensive anyway, and if I wanted to upgrade I could always give it to my brother or something. I stumbled across this one:

Amazon.com: Bazooka BTA10250D BT Series 10-Inch 250-Watt Class D Amplified Tube: Electronics

Now I know its not the best but it got decent reviews, and it was one of the higher wattage amps in a 10 inch which seems like it might be perfect for me. Plus its easily removable, and it seems like I'd be able to keep my stock head unit (although I'm seriously thinking about upgrading after your previous post there). This got really good reviews on amazon.com too. Do you see any immediate downsides to this? Or does anyone who might be reading this have any bad experience with this brand?

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Actually from what I'm seeing that's probably the best option for your application. Also, a 10 is best for your style. My favorite system I ever had was 3 10's in my 3000gt, so crisp, so clear. A great site to use for this stuff is carstereo.com btw. Also, personally I'd look into swapping out the hu, it's not always needed but the work-around is tricky and new hu's allow for so many new comforts and abilities.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Yeah, to the OP, do you own an ipod? If so, I would SERIOUSLY look at upgrading the HU. I'm shopping for ipods just BECAUSE of the great experience I had when a friend plugged his into my car stereo. The convenience it offers is amazing just to have your music collection at your finger tips, sorted by artist, genre, alphabetically, playlists, etc. As far as those bazooka style systems, the most difficulty I faced when installing one in my friend's 3000GT is that the 10" ones are almost 12" tall, and if you've ever measured the height of our trunks it really doesn't fit well without the privacy cover removed (we have optimally, approx. 10" of trunk depth). That said, the second problem you can face with that design is it likes to roll around if not secured. My primary purpose for showing the behind the seat option is that not only does it look completely stock and is easily removable, its mounting position is built right into the design of the car and also allows full access and use of the trunk and spare tire. For me, that was the deal breaker as I take trips to and from Santa Barbara, the Bay Area, and LA and often need all the room in my trunk that I can get for luggage, food, etc.

So make sure you consider what you'll be using your car's trunk for, and how much of that room will be absorbed by a subwoofer installed there. Just food for thought. Here's my trunk, and as you can see I still have my rear strut tower bar.

And the amp. A second amp is going to be installed which is why it is mounted so far off to one side of the board. Previously I was able to fit the amp AND the spare tire together.

Owner Since

Thanks
    OH, and if you haven't already replaced the rear speakers, one of the biggest visual improvements you can perform on the grills is the removal of that ugly, deteriorating fabric they put over the speaker. With the rear paneling removed, bend the tabs on the back of the grill, remove grills, peel off fabric glued to metal grill, and reinstall. Works on black or tan colored interiors, as seen here on my tan interior.

Before removing fabric, it was discolored, brittle where the sun got to it, and otherwise dated and ugly looking. I couldn't believe how much this simple mod improved the look of the interior. And it shows off my beautiful speakers, which is always a plus.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lancelot_GT For This Useful Post:

IPD

Owner Since

Thanks
    Wow thanks for the posts! 10" sound like the way to go then, I'm almost positive that's what the Eclipse has in it from looking at that one and comparing it to ones I saw in Best Buy.

And Lancelot thanks for taking those pics, don't know if you had them before or just took them for me but they're extremely helpful. I was almost 100% set on buying the Bazooka until your post there. I had thought the bazooka would fit where your box is, and not cross over onto the lip of the rest of the trunk. I hadn't had a chance to take measurements yet, but clearly that's not the case. I'd like my privacy cover to be able to be used still and the trunk to have almost all its space. The setup you have looks absolutely perfect for my situation, and I love how the amp is hidden and the spare tire can still be there as well. I do plan on getting an iPod soon, and I know that it would be perfect for a new head unit as well. We've looked into it quite a bit. In my other car I have a USB port on the HU itself, and I found a micro SD card that I put into a USB adapter so it doesn't stick out at all, and I can fit quite a bit of songs on there and never have to worry about remembering to bring my MP3 player or turning it on and off. That was why I was looking into a HU with its own hard drive, which I know exists somewhere but its hard to find one, and I'm sure it will be expensive, so iPod seems to be the way to go.

I haven't personally used the special HUs that are iPod compatible, but my father has and agrees, it charges your Ipod and you see all your album art and you can change songs and settings on the HU itself, so I'd just leave the iPod in the glove box. I'll probably end up getting an old used iPod to just leave in my car all the time.

A few final questions here if you don't mind.

1. Do you have any diagrams or anything for the box you made? I'm sure I could figure it out easily enough but it'd be nice if they existed.

2. Looking at head units I see that there are multiple pre-amp outputs on them, and that amps themselves have multiple channel options. Seeing that I have my 6 stock speakers (front, rear, tweeters) and then either 1 or 2 subs (debating getting 2 since I might as well if it takes up the same space, plus one would look silly). What should I be looking for as far as pre-amp outs on the HU and how many channels the amps themselves have.

3. Are you worried about items in your trunk puncturing your subs? I'm sure there are subs with protective covers on the market, or I'd be able to find some universal one, but just curious if it was an issue.

And your rear speakers do look great with that fabric removed. I didn't think of that when I was replacing them. My interior is gray and I never noticed any deterioration on them whatsoever. It was such a pain to remove those panels I think I'll just skip it unless I have them off again sometime in the future, but its a great looking mod.

Thanks again!

Owner Since

Thanks
    1. I wish I had blueprints to the box, but I bought it on ebay when they were still being sold on there. I usually do build my own boxes, but I paid for the convenience of not having to do all the measurements, hole cutting, and carpet covering. It was like a $125 box back then, and I think they're about the same price nowadays whenever you can find them. If I had a tape measure where I'm living right now I could draw up the dimensions, but I don't and all my tools are back up in Sacramento, 450 miles away

2. When buying a headunit, the only important aspect about the RCA outputs you're going to need to look at is if it has a dedicated subwoofer output, and if it has separate controls for said output. Otherwise, any RCA output will typically work if it is LFE dedicated or at least full range. This brings me to the next point, that amplifiers nowadays typically have built in crossovers, bass boost controls, and high and low level inputs. Since you aren't looking at blasting yourself out of the car and want to keep a reasonable budget, shop for a monoblock amplifier just to power the subs, the headunit can take care of the other speakers just fine. Even if you run two subs, you really only need a single channel amplifier. If you do run two subs, make sure the amplifier you get is at least 2 ohm stable, if not lower, so that you can wire them in parallel to the amp. Minimizing phase distortion and maximizing the high current capabilities of the amplifier.

3. Sometimes I have worried about the subs getting hit by things in the trunk, but most of the time when I have things back there I have my duffel bag pushed all the way up against the strut tower bar to take an bumps and bruises that otherwise could damage the subs. However, in the future I will be buying these bar grills. They come in black or chrome depending on your color scheme.

Lastly, make sure you get enough power, don't skimp on the power lines because they were cheaper. Get what is needed for the power your amplifier will draw or you will run into electrical problems. Also, remember that the thicker the wire, the harder it will be to run through the car. And finally, ALWAYS wire your power on the opposite side of the car as the signal cable, otherwise there's a good chance you will get noise in your signal that sometimes whines or hums, depending on the speed the alternator is going. For my car, the power runs across the driver's side and signal cables on the passenger side. There are nice plastic channels on both sides under the carpet that will help when wiring and there is a nice grommet and hole in the firewall on the driver's side that you can run the power through so that you don't have to start drilling holes. Hope these tips help, and if you need any other info, let me know. I've installed stereos and sound dampening in several 3000GTs and know most of the problems and difficulties you'll face when installing everything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast