Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY 94-97 to 98-99 Patch Harness Parts

DIY 94-97 to 98-99 Patch Harness Parts

Okay guys I found some useful information to make a adapter harness for 94-97 TT cars to accept the 98-99 TT Flashable ECU. This will prevent you from hacking your stock harness to accept the 98-99 ECU for less than $60 dollars. I will like to credit to Ceddy, 0xDEAD and MrFred. I am pulling information from their sites.

Here are there sites.

Ceddy

Evo9 in a 2G/Evo8 « Ceddy's Lair

0xDEAD and MrFred

http://evoecu.logic.net/wiki/Plugs,_...and_Connectors

Plugs, Pins, and Connectors - EvoEcu

Male 94-97 TT ECU Connector:
    ** You can pull this from a busted ECU.
    ** (I am trying to find the correct part number from Tyco for this connector)

Female Connectors 98-99 TT ECU

The 98-99 TT use JAE MX-7 Series plugs.

You need:

1 x 28 Pin Plug

* MX7-A-28SC
    * Digi-Key - 670-2313-ND (Manufacturer - MX7-A-28SC)

1 x 28 Pin Retainer

* Mx7-28S-RT
    * Digi-Key - 670-2312-ND (Manufacturer - MX7-A-28S-RT)

1 x 30 Pin Plug

* MX7-A-30SC
    * Digi-Key - 670-2315-ND (Manufacturer - MX7-A-30SC)

1 x 30 Pin Retainer

* MX7-A-30S-RT
    * Digi-Key - 670-2314-ND (Manufacturer - MX7-A-30S-RT)

1 x 35 Pin Plug

* MX7-A-35SC
    * Digi-Key - 670-2317-ND (Manufacturer - MX7-A-35SC)

1 x 35 Pin Retainer:

* MX7-A-35S-RT
    * Digi-Key - 670-2316-ND (Manufacturer - MX7-A-35S-RT)

18 x Large Pins (16-20 AWG)

* MX7-SGC3-7000-ND
    * Digi-Key - 670-2319-ND (Manufacturer - MX7-PWC2-1E-4500)

75 x Small Pins (18-20 AWG)

* MX7-PWC2-1E-4500-ND
    * Digi-Key - 670-2320-ND (Manufacturer - MX7-SGC3-7000)

** I am in the process of locating the part numbers for 91-93 TTs ECU connectors. Most the connectors are posted in both sites listed above. I will continue to update this thread once I have located all ECU connectors for 91-99 cars. If anyone finds a error in this thread, please let me know. If anyone finds any missing part numbers, please feel free to post them.
    Last edited by prop7459; 01-06-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    August 2010

Thanks
    hell yeah....good find..hopefully with more people giving this attention flashing 3/s and related ecu's soon shouldn't be an issue anymore...

please keep this post updated!!
    Last edited by NOMIEZVR4; 01-05-2011 at 12:57 AM.

I think I may found the ECU side connector for 91-93 TTs and 94-96 TT.

**91-93
    **Part #: 174518-7

website

AMP / TYCO 174518-7 is in stock! | Buy 1745187 | 174518 7 | Onlinecomponents.com

**94-96 TT
    ** Part #: 174915-6

http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catal.../en?q=174915-6

I am waiting for blackstealth over at 3si to confirm the connector for the 91-93 cars. I the near future, I will buy these parts to confirm whether they are the right connectors.

I'm lost

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit
    "De Oppresso Liber" - "Nous Defions"

Quote Originally Posted by DrkZide View Post
    I'm lost
    This thread is basically telling you what is needed to build a plug n play harness in order to use a flashable ecu such as 98-99 TT ecu. This will prevent you from hacking your stock harness. I am not sure if they harness can be used for the Montero or Galant ECU conversion though. Bloomslang charged a 1st gen TT guy 200 bucks to create such harness to use his 99 ECU. I am still doing research to ensure I have the correct part numbers.

Engineering Nerd verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I did this a while ago and I have enough material left for 5 harness adapters.
    The recaptable for Gen1 and Gen2-Hybrid are the same. Gen1 has 16-pin,22-pin and 26-pin (64 pin total) and Gen2-Hybrid has an additional 12-pin (76-pin total). You buy the 76-pin receptable and for use on Gen1 you just don't solder any wires to the 12-pin section.
    look here for comparison:

I got everything from onlinecomponents.com except the 12-pin plug which was on backoder. I got it a while later later though.

Quote Originally Posted by prop7459 View Post
    This thread is basically telling you what is needed to build a plug n play harness in order to use a flashable ecu such as 98-99 TT ecu. This will prevent you from hacking your stock harness. I am not sure if they harness can be used for the Montero or Galant ECU conversion though. Bloomslang charged a 1st gen TT guy 200 bucks to create such harness to use his 99 ECU. I am still doing research to ensure I have the correct part numbers.
    I didn't even know that was an option!

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
    I did this a while ago and I have enough material left for 5 harness adapters.
    The recaptable for Gen1 and Gen2-Hybrid are the same. Gen1 has 16-pin,22-pin and 26-pin (64 pin total) and Gen2-Hybrid has an additional 12-pin (76-pin total). You buy the 76-pin receptable and for use on Gen1 you just don't solder any wires to the 12-pin section.
    look here for comparison:

I got everything from onlinecomponents.com except the 12-pin plug which was on backoder. I got it a while later later though.
    You mean an adapter harness for a 1G to run the Montero ECU? If so, would you be interested in making me one?

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I've done tons of research into this, and recently built my own patch harness for the 93. You are right, AMP/TYCO makes a connector called the MultiLock Hybrid 040/070. The issue with all of these connectors is that MOST companies require ridiculous minimum orders (500+), as this is typically an OEM only application. That is probably one of the reason boom slang harnesses cost so much.
    I have found a website that does sell every needed connector singly, and ships pretty quickly, the only issue being that sometimes they are not in stock. I have come across onlinecomponents but every part number that would work was on an 8 week back order.
    I was originally going to keep this secret and start making /selling harnesses, but I have other things to deal with, and didnt want to buy the right crimp tool, so here ya'll go

New United Race Tech
    The sidelocks are the ones that are on our vehicles, not sure if the rear hinges will fit or not.

Remember you need to buy the contacts also (but not for the receptacle), and might as well pick up some automotive grade color coded wire while you are at it.

Here is a picture of the receptacle I bought from them with a hacked-up harness I found and will be turning it into a patch harness, possibly with a nice PCB board for easy splicing. PLEASE DONT hack up harnesses and sell them for this purpose, or buy one and hack it up. The cost will probably even be higher and its just as much work.

Last edited by x2percentmilk; 01-07-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Engineering Nerd verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x2percentmilk View Post
    I was originally going to keep this secret and start making /selling harnesses, but I have other things to deal with, and didnt want to buy the right crimp tool, so here ya'll go
    same here. I sold 2 so far which barely returned the investment (parts + overseas shipping) and decided that it's way too much hassle for too little money. In retrospect it would've been way easier just buying the thing from 3SX.
    At least I didn't have to buy a crimper, I already had one that worked. Not the 100% recommended Tyco thing but it did the job.