Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Question...

Secret Lurker Man! verified
    Owner Since
    7/10/06 or somethin

Thanks

Turbo Question...

This is on a DSM so I thought I'd post it here, but the question is a general question, though the situation pertains to my DSM so...anyway...

I'm installing a new exhaust header on the car, but it's being a bit difficult, if you look at the head where the exhaust ports are in relation to the turbos location, it's angled, I'd say like 65ish degrees and with the new headers, it's like a 70ish degree, so it's not fitting snuggly enough to bolt up, my question is, can you loosen the Vband on the turbo and rotate the exhaust side a little so that it matches up, without ruining anything or causing any problems, it seems like the hardlines are going to get a little tweaked if I just bolt it in and use the bolts torque to pull it up into its place.

I know this makes it sound kind of like it's way off, but it's really not, with the headers bolted to the head, I'm able to get the two front bolts started on the exhaust housing, but at the rear, there's maybe an 1/8th inch gap and I can't get the bolts started because of the angle and it doesn't seem to want to wiggle its way in place.

This idea just had crossed my mind and I've never disassembled a turbo before so I was wondering if it were at all possible, tomorrows attempt is going to be fully disconnecting all lines and bolting it up then trying to fish the lines in and get them installed I guess...

After proof reading...did any of this even make any sense to anyone other than myself? ha

Forum User
    Owner Since
    June 2010

Thanks
    You mean clocking your turbo?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SupraMKIII For This Useful Post:

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Sounds like you mean clocking the turbo. The turbo you have may be keyed, so you'd have to grind down the nub.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

-BOOSTTD- verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yup sounds like it just needs clocked

Owner Since
    7/10/06 or somethin

Thanks
    wowww...what a newb, THAT'S what clocking a turbo means, ha well, it's the stock turbo, isn't it a 14b on a 1g DSM/GSX? Yeah, it just seems like it's an 1/8th inch off though, so I dunno if that'd work, I was wondering on any info anyone had on this...my weekend's almost here so I'll be figuring something out this weekend cuz this piece needs to get outta the garage! ha

LW fears my posts Not Verified
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    It's either a 14b or 13g, depending on whether you have auto/manual tranny.

Owner Since
    7/10/06 or somethin

Thanks
    It's a 5spd, 14b right? I worked on it today, I got it almost bolted up, the lines are just all bent up, all of'em are on except the oil return to pan, that one is going to be a bitch too, it's off by about an inch...

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve68 View Post
    You've just got to be aware that it will screw up your internal wastegate adjustments so will need re adjusting & testing.

Steve
    With the amount that he is going to be clocking it by, the waste gates are going to have no idea anything has changed and you won't need to adjust.

DO NOT grind the nub down. It is there for a reason. If you need to clock a turbo the best thing to do is unbolt the banana clip and remove the turbine housing. Then get snap ring pliers and remove the snap ring from the compressor housing remembering which way the snap ring was facing because they have a lip on one side. Pull the compressor housing off the cartridge. Line everything up where you need it and make a mark where the nub is and where you need to drill a hole on the compressor housing the size of the nub. Replace the o-ring for the compressor housing and reassemble. This is exactly how I clocked my replacement WRX 13t to match my machined 13t/9b housings for when my front 13t went bad. All TD04's are keyed in this manner btw.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve68 View Post
    It's not a tdo4 though, it's a tdo5, yes it WILL fuck up the wastegate if not readjusted.

Steve
    Steve, seriously stop giving people the wrong information. He is clocking it by 1/8 in. The is more play in the waste gate arm then that.

I am going to have a talk with Alan about your posts. This is ridiculous.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I don't think it's a bad idea to look at the wastegate regardless. It would only take a couple minutes and inspecting and adjusting is easy with the turbo off the car. It would be one thing if someone was suggesting to clock the turbo with a circular saw, but inspecting the wastegate isn't going to hurt anything. I don't think we need to suggest that mods censor anyone's posts.