Thread: Quad Pillar Pod!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quad Pillar Pod!

Well, after a lot of thought and rethought of what I want to do with all my guages, I decided to give a quad pod a shot. I got the idea from my friend's, dad's new Dodge 3500 that he chipped out. I had already decided that I didn't want anymore guages in my dash other then the soon to come EGT and Wideband, which I will be putting into the bezel surround similar to that of the one that can be seen on 3SX.com.

So, after some playing around IN my car for the first time in months, I cam up wit this. It fits very well and I don't hit my damn hands on it when they're on the steering wheel!!!

It's just a mock-up for now, even measured Although it's a little crude looking and the guages are crooked... I will be doing some molds in the next couple of weeks and will post up the results as I make my progress

Photobucket

Why? Because Race Car. verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Subscribed
    91 R/T TT
    Mods: RC 550s, Stillen Downpipe, Stillen Cross-Drilled Rotors, HKS Exhaust, HKS VPC, HKS EBC, HKS Turbo Timber, HKS Twin Power, HKS SSQV BOV, HKS SMIC, HKS Fuel Pump, Wiseco Pistons, 3SX Rods, Ferrera SS Valves, 3rd Gen Lifters, 15G Turbos, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, B&M FMOC, Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley, EGR blockoff.

Forum User Not Verified

Owner Since

Thanks
    your hand is going to hit the lowest gauge if you ever steer with your left hand.

Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Gump View Post
    your hand is going to hit the lowest gauge if you ever steer with your left hand.
    If he's as tall as I am, he'd have more issues with his right hand and knee interference, I'd think. It's hard for me to visualize exactly where that gauge is going to sit though, with all of that tape, lol.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
    If he's as tall as I am, he'd have more issues with his right hand and knee interference, I'd think. It's hard for me to visualize exactly where that gauge is going to sit though, with all of that tape, lol.
    I'm 6'2" so I have right hand issues more than anything really.

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Gump View Post
    It's actually not all too bad, better than I've seen some of the pods for our cars, I have about 3" - 1/2" to 4" of hand space, I made the guages pretty well hug the pillar as much as they could. I also got some substancially thin-ish guages to help a bit with the clearence issue. I'll have some fitment pic up soon.

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It's about -25c outside right now so I did a little 1/2ass fit test, it's hanging down about 3/4" in those pictures. As it tuns out my hand fits between the four guages (two on either side) with the room I stated above. So you'd have to be going pretty damn hardcore to be hitting your hands IMO.

I did the "look like a retard" test and did some left hand driving in the car and all seemed to work pretty well as far as hand smack goes
    Last edited by J_Parker; 12-30-2010 at 01:14 AM.

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    After driving my friends VR4 I have not been a fan of pillar gauges. They create a blind spot, and I swear to God, every time I got in and out of the car I smacked my damn head on the pillar.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

rawr. verified
    Owner Since
    August 2009

Thanks
    I only went with a 2 gauge pillar pod because you will be hitting your head on the pod, you won't be able to put you sun visor down with out unclipping it, the lights shine right in your eye and they create a blind spot.

I do give you props for doing something new though!!
    vroom vroom i drive a 93 toyota mr2.

https://car.social

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The visors come down without a problem. There's plenty of room to get out of the car I did however have to lean a little farther back than normal to get in, but wasnt too big of a deal to me. As for blindspots, well I'm immune, I'm used to driving busses and kenworths Not only that, with the positioning and size of guages I used you lose maybe at most 3/4" of windshield space. If I end up making two or more I'll send a free one to the biggest naysayer to see what they think Also, as for the lights in the eye I planned ahead on that one I picked up guages that weren't too harsh, they have a tinted glass piece and hold a lot of the brightness back. You can see clearly what's going on, but they don't blast light through your skull