Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 98 eagle talon awd tsi: just a couple questions

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since
    04/18/2008

Blog Entries
    Thanks

98 eagle talon awd tsi: just a couple questions

I just picked this up last Friday from a dealer, and I have some questions. first its a 98 eagle talon tsi its got receipts for the 1000mi on the new jasper motor and clutch. hks turbo upgrade kit and hks exhaust, aftermarket adjustable racing suspension and wheels and tires. first, the heat refuses to get warm...either I"m too used to the vr4's heat, or something, but only the side vents "in the door" get warm, and the center vents are always cold. is this maybe because they didn't put a thermostat in the new motor, the temp gauge sits just above the squiggly line so like half way. also, it starts to miss when I get around 10 lbs of boost. I'm gunna guess that they didn't gap the plugs down when they put the new motor in either, but that's just a guess. thanks for the help guys.
    Last edited by dpartinvr4; 12-24-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since
    04/18/2008

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    also, the obdii port doesn't get power, the cig lighter does so idk whats up...all fuses are there and good.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Where do you live/where did you buy the car? It sounds like a car that i've seen before, we were supposed to do work on a car like the one you described but the owner never came back.

To answer your questions
    -halfway on the guage is pretty normal operating temp, is the engine full of coolant if its low the heater core might not be getting coolant to warm up.
    -if there was no thermostat it might run cooler, but it will still get warm for sure.
    -the issue of it breaking up could be any number of things plugs are old or gapped wrong, there could be a boost leak, if its stock ecu it might be hitting fuel cut depending on the turbo.
    -obd port not getting power could mean it has an AEM in it as they do not communicate with the obd port, or there could just be bad wiring there.

-Ricer Evo 8: 8.75 @ 166 Best MPH of 167. Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in The US!!!
    -Chris Cessna's Stock short block Evo 8: 9.76@150 Worlds Fastest Stock Motor Evo 8 and First Stock Block In The 9's!
    -Shawna's DD Evo 8: 9.97@143.88 Best MPH of 145 Full leather interior, A/C, navigation, stock brakes, cruisin 9's in style
    -Cory's Stock 7 bolt talon: 10.3@136 No crank walk here...
    -STM Stock turbo/motor Stealth RT: 10.95@127 Worlds Quyickest/Fastest and most powerful Stock turbo/ motor 3S
    -James STM built Pump gas Evo8 stock motor: 10.2@137 Stock long block, and only on pump gas!
    -Mike Faggiano Evo3 16g stock motor 1g 11.0@124 just a 16g knockin on 10's door.
    And the list goes on...

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since
    04/18/2008

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i live in Indiana....the previous owner would have been William herd or something Avery.....i think it's probably just unhooked wires, because the stereo gets power, but there is zero sound, and the glowshift oil temp gauge wasn't hooked back up, and there's an aftermarket wire going from the right to left underneath the dash to the radio area, so i'll just have to pull it apart when I get a chance. the only reason I don't think it has an AEM is the car came with receipts for everything and it was all professionally installed, but it could be..I'll just have to investigate. this is the car:

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    best looking dsm, imho.

...i wonder if that spoiler would fit on a 3/s....

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inperfectdarkness View Post
    best looking dsm, imho.

...i wonder if that spoiler would fit on a 3/s....
    No I tried to make the one off my old Talon work but I had no luck, or idea of how to make it work without putting holes in the hatch glass.
    Photobucket

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Parker View Post
    No I tried to make the one off my old Talon work but I had no luck, or idea of how to make it work without putting holes in the hatch glass.
    what about if you mounted back further and stuck it on just the hatch? maybe shaved it to fit properly?

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I looked over every possible thing I could do with it that would still keep it looking like a Talon wing but I just couldn't make it work for the life of me. I found if I were to do that it wouldn't fit the back end of our cars all to well. The side mounts of them are made to attatch to the rear pillar of the hatch on a Talon, ours is pretty close to the same slope, so if you could figure out a way to attach it to the glass and make a strong center support bracket for it you'd be golden. I was thinking some reaaally strong double sided tape for the hatch after a little glass molding to make it fit the window nicely and put a peice of structural flat iron into the back of the middle brakelight pod and bolt the hell out of it.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since
    04/18/2008

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    why not use the epoxy for mounting the rear view mirror metal thing to the window.

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That's not a bad idea, but the ability to take it off without a headache would be nice.