Thread: Stupid timing belt

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 3 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks

Stupid timing belt

I got my turbos and everything installed. Primed the turbos, everything was fine, went to start it and it started then died almost instantly after making a grinding sound. So now it wont roll over, and I can only turn the motor by hand a few turns then it feels like something is hitting. So I took the lower intake manifold off and sure as shit the intake valves are bent a little. So some how the timing belt jumped a few teeth. Does anybody know where I can get my heads re-done for cheap?

Forum User verified Feedback Score 4 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Where are you located? What is your idea of "cheap"? The bent valves will need to be replaced and the valves/seats re-ground. Probably no damage to the pistons/heads, so all the expense will be in replacing the damaged parts and re-assembling the engine. I have a machine shop that does my work, and I could get a "swag" (scientific wild-assed guess) estimate on repair costs. LMK if I can help you. Thanks,
    Milt

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 3 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I live in michigan. I was looking at the stage 0 heads from 3sx but they are 700 bucks and that is not what I call cheap, but everything is brand new.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 4 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whitedevilstealth View Post
    I live in michigan. I was looking at the stage 0 heads from 3sx but they are 700 bucks and that is not what I call cheap, but everything is brand new.
    Yep. Everything is relative when it comes to cost. I can probably get your heads repaired cheaper than your local machine shop. At least until you add in the cost of shipping back and forth. If you were interested in serious upgrading, my port/polish shop is very, very good. And the price is quite reasonable at $1000 for both heads and the lower and upper intake plenums. That is just the cost of the porting and polishing. Replacement valves/guides/seals and the labor for re-working the valve job would be extra.

If you are looking for the least expensive "fix the car so it runs", I'd suggest doing a search of your local machine shops and picking the one you feel most comfortable with. Sometimes the cheapest shop isn't a bargain.

And if you wanted to do an all out set of heads, then adding 1mm oversize intake and exhaust valves is the way to go. Just for some idea of what you get for the money, a set of my heads with stock size valves on a fully built motor with supporting mods made 515 AWHP on pump gas with 19Ts and meth spray. Adding 1mm oversize valves bumped that to 535. With an IPS 16G kit, at only 18.5 psi boost, we're up to 561 AWHP. And at 25 psi boost, the number is in the 625-650 range, with a car that is fully street driven, with AC and PS. Nothing deleted from the car. But that is a lot different than just getting the car fixed and running. LMK if I can help.

XLR8TOR Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Sounds like your tensioner pulley slipped and the tensioner plunger came all the way out and allowed the belt to slack.

On my rebuild i am looking a cutting a circular hole in the front plastic belt cover that will fit a rubber plug so I can inspect it externally just for peace of mind.