Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear end alignment LCA/bushing questions?

Charter Member verified
    Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks

Question Rear end alignment LCA/bushing questions?

I took my TT in for an all wheel alignment after I had all 4 ECS shocks/struts replaced wth OEM. The shop did a great with the front end after replacing a lower control arm end. However, the rear is about 2 degrees from factory, and the tech said the rear lower control arm cam bushings and at least the RHS trailing arm bushing need to be replaced to get enough adjustment. He doesn't think the previous shop, where I have always gone, ever had it within factory spec. The bushing are too rusted to move out, and he thinks the trailing arm bushing is probably frozen into the end "knuckle" to just replace.

What would be your recommendations for proceeding forward? Do I just order bushings? Do I need new bolts or plates? If I get the entire LCA assembly from Cherry Hill for $75, will this fix the problem? Or do I look for cleaner used parts?

Thanks,

Geordon
    [SOLD] Black '92 R/T TT
    Tein H springs
    K&N Airfilter
    (119,000 miles -- original owner)

Secret Lurker Man! verified
    Owner Since
    7/10/06 or somethin

Thanks
    Go with these, they're made by Terry a.k.a. User Maximal, awesome guy, awesome products Maximal Control Arms You'd be killin two birds with one stone here, as these have way more adjustment than stock so if you lower your car (if you haven't already) you'll still be able to have it properly aligned, if you have any questions, send a pm to Terry, I'm sure he'd answer any and all questions for you

Charter Member verified
    Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    Go with these, they're made by Terry a.k.a. User Maximal, awesome guy, awesome products Maximal Control Arms You'd be killin two birds with one stone here, as these have way more adjustment than stock so if you lower your car (if you haven't already) you'll still be able to have it properly aligned, if you have any questions, send a pm to Terry, I'm sure he'd answer any and all questions for you
    I actually was considering those before I installed my Tein H springs. Aren't they upper control arms? I even asked the tech if getting adjustable uppers would help, and he said that wasn't the issue. So, can I actually correct the problem with the LCAs by getting these, instead?
    Last edited by Geordon; 12-20-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Secret Lurker Man! verified
    Owner Since
    7/10/06 or somethin

Thanks
    You'll need lower controls and I know the FWD have a Toe available as well...I always thought they were all lowers, I've only replaced'em on my FWD, I haven't yet moved to suspension stuff on the AWD, ask Terry

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Got your e-mail...sorry I didn't come across this earlier.

Anyways I'm guessing he means that the adjustment bolts are frozen? I've never seen the actual bushings go bad before but I'm guessing they can. If he thinks a $75 part will fix it and you're staying with a stock suspension that's a slightly cheaper option. If he's not positive my control arms would allow for more than enough adjustment to get your car within spec.

As long as you trust your mechanic it's probably best to talk it over with him. I think I know what he's saying but without saying it I can't really say one option is better than the other.

Charter Member verified
    Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximal View Post
    Got your e-mail...sorry I didn't come across this earlier.

Anyways I'm guessing he means that the adjustment bolts are frozen? I've never seen the actual bushings go bad before but I'm guessing they can. If he thinks a $75 part will fix it and you're staying with a stock suspension that's a slightly cheaper option. If he's not positive my control arms would allow for more than enough adjustment to get your car within spec.

As long as you trust your mechanic it's probably best to talk it over with him. I think I know what he's saying but without saying it I can't really say one option is better than the other.
    This may be obvious, but not to me. Is your kit per side or is it $155 a pair? I would probably pony up for the quieter teflon option. Would this replace the UCA or both LCA and UCA? Would I then just leave the trialing arm as-is?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The price is for a pair and replaces the upper control arms. Basically you'd just leave the stock lower control arms there and perform your adjustment with these. If camber is your problem they will definitely help.

Charter Member verified
    Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks
    Thanks. I will contact the shop tomorrow. BTW, as sweet as your lowered ride looks, I think it would be tough going in some of the show we get around here.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordon View Post
    Thanks. I will contact the shop tomorrow. BTW, as sweet as your lowered ride looks, I think it would be tough going in some of the show we get around here.
    Agreed...that's why my car is off the road right now.

I've got plenty of these control arms in stock so just let let me know if you decide to go that route and I can get them right out to you.

Charter Member verified
    Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks

Alignment

I got the front end aligned, but can't bring the rear end into alignment without getting the connecting rod assemblies replaced on the trailing arms.

The assembly is shown in the lower left of this image. I don't need the full trailing arm (41350AL/R), but need all the other smaller parts which attach to the end of it.

StealthRearSuspension.jpg