Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Remote Start in '08 Legacy

  1. #1
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    ~2006

    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA/Wheeling, WV
    Posts
    867
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts

    Remote Start in '08 Legacy

    Anyone have any experience with this type of thing? I would imagine it would be pretty simple on our cars but I'm not sure on a newer car. I'm assuming there would be issue with the key not being in the car/factory alarm/etc. Any input?

  2. #2
    The one. The only. verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

    Location
    SWPA
    Posts
    4,042
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked 699 Times in 529 Posts
    Even on older cars they are a complete bitch to install. My dad and I installed one on a 93 Dodge Shadow ES several years back and it was a HUGE headache.

    We ended up having to rip it out several months later becasuse it started "taking over" the car.

    I would never recommend anyone try to install one themself and leave it to the "pros."

    [06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

  3. #3
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    ~2006

    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA/Wheeling, WV
    Posts
    867
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Aw really? I was thinking about getting one for my GF for christmas. How much do you think a decent one would be installed?

    P.S. How have you been!?

  4. #4
    The one. The only. verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

    Location
    SWPA
    Posts
    4,042
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked 699 Times in 529 Posts
    I think Best Buy charges around $100 if you take a kit to them. I don't know if the price is any better if you buy the kit from them. I am sure you got other electronic shops around you that might offer better deals.

    As for me. Been better. If you saw my thread in "general" you'd see the car was teod to a shop today because of running over something on the road. Its an insurance thing now so I am letting them take care of it. I am at least getting a new front bumper out of it. I'm not sure how much damage is done underneath though.

  5. #5
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    ~2006

    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA/Wheeling, WV
    Posts
    867
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Hm.. guess I'll have to look around tomorrow.

    I did see your thread, forgot all about it. That really sucks but at least it's getting taken care of. Hope everything goes smoothly!

  6. #6
    Mad JDM Tite
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    STL
    Posts
    624
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 88 Times in 65 Posts
    Speaking as a former pro, 6+ years experience with multiple shops, installing these guys aren't too bad if you know what you are doing. However, if you have never done anything like this before I strongly recomend not attempting one on a newer car.

    Optimally you should buy a unit from professional shop and let them handle the install for multiple reasons:
    1) reasources - they will have access to dealer direct info you as a consumer will not
    2) warranty - most security/convenience companies like viper, code, autopage, etc have dealer direct policies with lifetime product warranties. When you buy their stuff off the net from non-authorized dealers it can void warranties.
    3) install warranty - remote starts can be tempormental and require follow up work, mostly security bypass related, so if you have a pro shop install it they should also do warranty/troubleshooting labor, if needed, for free.
    4) free un-installation - allows you to un-install the unit if you ever plan to sell the vehicle and want to keep the system to be installed in a different vehicle at a later date
    5) insurance - mistakes and accidents happen and sometimes just from trying to take a vehicle apart. Going to a professional shop ensures that any mistakes will be paid for by the shop doing the work rather than by you.

    The main con to having a pro shop do the work will be the cost of the security bypass interface. These can be had off the net for about half of what the shops will charge but sometimes you have to pay the extra price on a product to get the service of the store that goes with it.

    My only word of warning is that you have to find a good shop to do the work. Box stores and private shops alike are only as good as their installers and I have seen very talented people working at both types of places, as well as very untalented people working both kinds of places. Make sure your local shop of choice has guys that know what they are doing.

  7. #7
    are you getting the viper remote start/alarms? its "vibration alarm" feature is the most annoying thing ever. if you work on the car and shut the hood the alarm will trigger. if you close the door the alarm will trigger also...
    06 Mazda6s - Gone
    02 Subaru Impreza WRX - Sold
    95 Subaru Impreza USDM WRX engine JDM STi exterior swap - Sold
    05 Dodge SRT-4 - Sold
    94 Dodge Stealth RT turbo - 99 front end, 13G's with supporting bolt ons

    FS: 1)Spec stage5 clutch kit $150 shipped 2)Stealth RT LED taillights $80 shipped 3)Stealth pearl yellow OEM 17's with tires 4)RARE Defi narrowband airfuel gauge $70 shipped 5)DNP Y-pipe with Blitz DD BOV $220 shipped

  8. #8
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    ~2006

    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA/Wheeling, WV
    Posts
    867
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Ya I think I'll skip it for now guys lol Maybe a little later have someone else install one if it's not too much money.

    One more question. What exactly does the security bypass do? Does it make the car easier to steal?

    Thanks for all the info!

  9. #9
    The one. The only. verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

    Location
    SWPA
    Posts
    4,042
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked 699 Times in 529 Posts
    A quick google

    The Ready Remote Alarm Bypass Module allows you to pass through even the toughest anti-theft system, letting you start your vehicle without marring the effectiveness of either assemblies. More importantly, the Ready Remote Alarm Bypass Module provides protection before and after remote starting.

  10. #10
    Mad JDM Tite
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    STL
    Posts
    624
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 88 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HLxDrummer View Post
    Ya I think I'll skip it for now guys lol Maybe a little later have someone else install one if it's not too much money.

    One more question. What exactly does the security bypass do? Does it make the car easier to steal?

    Thanks for all the info!
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    A quick google
    This and yes if the thief knows/sees that the vehicle as an aftermarket remote start system it will make getting around the immobilizer system very easy.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • History
  • Information
  • Groups
  • Events
  • Resources
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net