Thread: MSDs With OEM Plug Caps How To W/Pics

Secret Lurker Man! verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since
    7/10/06 or somethin

Thanks

MSDs With OEM Plug Caps How To W/Pics

This is from me personally so there should be no discrepancies on copyright crap, I'm posting it over here so others can have the info, also there were some questions on wire recommendations and what not........so here it is.

I hadn't seen any instructional write-ups on this, I've seen'em for sale as "custom" and I've seen "custom msd" for sale as well, but they're just a precut lenght with the SOHC plug boots on'em, nothin like stock, so while I was changin plugs, I pulled apart the stocks to see if it were possible to make MSDs that fit like stock and this is what I came up with...

Previous wires were Beck/Arnley so there may be variances

Things you'll need:
    MSD GM Custom kit (Kit includes a crimper, the orange tool I used, and 8 plug wires that you cut to desired length and various ends/boots etc...)
    GOOD Wire cutters
    Grease
    Vise or Clamp to crimp ends
    New Razor Blade

Here's what I started with:

You'll wanna cut off the end so it slides through the boot easier while dissasembling.

There's a rubber boot at the end, removing it will make it easier to see how far you'll need the end to be so you can have the proper fit on the spark plug.

Take note:

Pull the plastic extension piece off, just pull hard, it'll pop off.

Then pull the wire out of the remaining piece, leaving you with these parts.

Now on to the MSDs

Using a nice new razor blade cut the ghey boot off carefully, you don't want to cut into the wire itself, just get the boot off.

Now the hard part, gettin the wire through the 90* boot. You need the tool that's in the MSD kit and some dielectric grease...like I have!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nihil For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    7/10/06 or somethin

Thanks
    Using the tool, some grease/lube of some sort and some finesse...get the wire through that boot.

Once it's through a little bit, you can grab it and pull it through.

At this point, you're past the hard part, just pull the wire through leaving about 5 or so inches at the spark plug end, then you'll need to use pliers or something and crimp the end smaller so it fits in the plastic extension, push it back up into the 90* boot, reassembling the spark plug end of things, then move on to cutting to length and making the coil end as usual, leaving you with this.

Last edited by Nihil; 12-16-2010 at 04:24 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nihil For This Useful Post:

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Good work!.
    GTO-TT, PTE 1200's, M20, Emanage Ultimate, OS Geiken R3C,
    TD04-16g`s, Maf-t. 13g`s 12.4@115mph / 16g`s 12.5@117mph.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    The MSD's I bought had the boots already on them. Are these cheaper? I like the idea of doing it this way though because you can make sure and get them the length you want.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Padawan garage troll Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Roybatty's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Nice how-to; so, petroleum jelly is a dielectric grease? Would have never known!

Owner Since
    7/10/06 or somethin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithMac View Post
    Good work!.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    The MSD's I bought had the boots already on them. Are these cheaper? I like the idea of doing it this way though because you can make sure and get them the length you want.
    I think it was 80 bucks or somethin, but that's for a V8 set, so you have a couple extras just incase, or, after doing a few sets, you'll have a free set...sorta ha

Quote Originally Posted by Roybatty View Post
    Nice how-to; so, petroleum jelly is a dielectric grease? Would have never known!
    Nah, it's not a dielectric grease, I was bein sarcastic ha, just needed something not too messy to get the wire worked through the tight fitting

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I used an MSD "Streetfire" kit. It is less expensive, black instead of red, and the wires are slightly smaller (8mm, I believe), so they do go through the boots easier. I just used some dielecrtic grease and they usually went through pretty easily. I may have cut the end of the wire to some sort of point to facilitate things. Streetfire is MSDs budget line, so they may not be of the quality of their standard wires, but I haven't had issues so far. I kept the lower boots on mine, but that is partially because my spark plugs are recessed farther in the head. I think you could use the msd lower boots if you wanted or just cut some of the top portion off if necessary.

Forum User Feedback Score 12 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The MSD wires that are made for our cars usually sell for around $115-125 for the set and come with the right boots on them (just like factory). Although it looks like you can save a couple of bucks doing this, it is time consuming. I've made my own wires before and I probably wouldn't do it again if they already made a set that fit.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans@GZP View Post
    The MSD wires that are made for our cars usually sell for around $115-125 for the set and come with the right boots on them (just like factory). Although it looks like you can save a couple of bucks doing this, it is time consuming. I've made my own wires before and I probably wouldn't do it again if they already made a set that fit.
    I couldn't remember where I got mine the other night but I think I gave a part number to auto zone and got them very cheap. I've done this with a few aftermarket parts.

Owner Since
    7/10/06 or somethin

Thanks
    This is just somethin i did last summer, puttin the info out there for anyone, this should be a universal thing and could save someone money if they happen to get a deal on a generic boot equipped wire set. The MSD part number listed on their site, for our cars is 32709 and lists for $113 computer at work lists them at $122.99 (I work at an autoparts store) with my discount they're still more than a V8 set, and considering you get extra parts, its a better deal to buy that, of course this all going locally, I try and avoid internet shoping on anything but specialty stuff.