Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feasibility of this idea??

Feasibility of this idea??

OK, so I was in the shower, where, consequently, I do my best thinking, and I was thinking about how I am dissatisfied with my FWD TT's ability to maintain traction, and so, ways to counter it. My mind ran on many tangents, but the one that seemed the most intriguing to me was RWD. I realize that AWD is available, but I was concerned about the maximum output of power, and if I recall, you lose ~30% of it from the transfer case on AWD?? So my next thought along that line was to remove the FWD, kind of a hack and slash job. For many reasons, I thought that too infeasible. So then I moved onto the more obvious (if not realistic) solution. Move the motor and tranny to the back of the car and eliminate the transfer casings altogether. Use an AWD tranny, with a welded VCU, and the power possible should be that much greater.

I went through the preliminaries, and aside from a but load of money, for custom fab, I figure I would need an AWD body, as the rear end is already set up for propulsion from the rear. Is there anything that I'm missing that would make this idea IMPOSSIBLE? Has anyone already done this?? I recognize it isn't feasible due to the large cost, but I'm just curious from a theoretical stand point, is it POSSIBLE, and if not, what's stopping it? Thanks.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Not impossible, but kinda pointless. The car would handle terribly not having any weight up front (you'd obviously need to relocate the tank, run new coolant lines, power steering equipment, etc.) and wouldn't gain that much by going to that layout.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

I Kill Threads verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    There's a Russian or Bulgarian shop that put a 2nd engine in the rear but I believe they tore everything done and started from a bare frame.

It's a lot of work.
    1992 3000GT VR-4
    DR650s,Denso 550 injectors, Walbro 255, Emanage Blue,3SX Cat Eliminator Downpipe,Short Shifter,DNP Hardpipe Kit,HKS SSQV,Underdrive pulley,Carbotech slotted rotors,RPS Lightweight Flywheel, Maximal Solid Mounts

If I'm not mistaken, Evan (the guy who did some AWD conversions, goes by shooter83) ran his stealth ES RWD for a while, and noted that the car was definitely NOT designed to be RWD, and was far better as AWD

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Too much money, time, and work for something that wont give you great results.
    If you want it for show, or just for the bragging rights, then wether or not its worth it is up to you.

The only car I know of (off the top of my head) that pulled it off was a mk1 golf, and it wasnt nearly as fast as it should have been and didnt handle too well.

Unless of course, you fully built two 6g72's to the max (ie: a combined >2000hp)

EDIT: kinda didnt really read much of anything before posting. Mid engine idea is better than twin engine haha. If youve got the time and resources why not?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yeah, it'll be a lot of work and a ton of custom fabrication but if you have the skills, time, and money to do it it'd be pretty sweet to see.

Yeah, it's pretty much for bragging rights, and a drag strip. Now, I'm curious as to what makes it a bad RWD car? What is the difference between our car and higher end manufacturers to make them a good RWD?

11 sec FWD! (old name: 94atxvr2)
    Owner Since
    2004 ****Click my home page for videos*****

Thanks
    I solved my FWDTT traction problems with 26x10 mt et drag slicks with 12psi of pressure. I had no traction loss. I know its not a great solution for daily driving but you will have traction at the track where it matters. Plus there is no need for street racing. And if you do punch it just start at 60mph in 3rd, lol. And if its cold maybe 80 mph in 4th. You will get traction then.

If you are looking for et and trap numbers buy a 500 dollar slick/rim combo. Its way cheaper and easy. Only 5 lug nuts on each side to remove and a jack. Being serious, with all that fab and money I seen it as best to use slicks at track and take it easy on the street. If someone wanted to try and run their mouth or race, I took it to the highway roll.

92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Auto = 10.61@127.8 (1.4 60ft)
    94 3000gt SL 8:1TT 5spd getrag = 11.87@123 (1.8 60ft)
    91 3000gt VR4 13gs = 11.61@115 (1.59 60ft)

Lol, I can't even keep traction with only 6-7 lbs of boost. I think it may be because I have all-weathers on for the winter, but it's still rather annoying.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    It would be much easier and probably cheaper to AWD convert than any of the other options listed here. (other than slicks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AwP_azDx7k
    Last edited by Unknownvr4; 12-17-2010 at 11:56 AM.
    -Benn
    Master Elite KIA Technician
    Past> Level 3 Chrysler & Bronze level Hyundai
    1994 3000GT VR4 - #175 Black/Black 99 VR4
    2013 135is - 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo - Hers
    Follow my build thread here