Thread: No oil pressure on startup!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

No oil pressure on startup!

So this just happened the 2nd time in couple of weeks. I start up the car and it idles rough and the oil light is on and the oil pressure gauge is pegged at zero. If I just give a slight push on the gas, take it to 2K RPM's, the oil pressure kicks up and the oil light goes off. It's a 95 VR4 with 151K miles. I just bought the car about a month ago and the guy told me that the motor had been rebuilt about 7k miles ago.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Damn that is scary!

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrob View Post
    So this just happened the 2nd time in couple of weeks. I start up the car and it idles rough and the oil light is on and the oil pressure gauge is pegged at zero. If I just give a slight push on the gas, take it to 2K RPM's, the oil pressure kicks up and the oil light goes off. It's a 95 VR4 with 151K miles. I just bought the car about a month ago and the guy told me that the motor had been rebuilt about 7k miles ago.
    I suggest to not turn the car on anymore if that light shows and the car is running rough at first. If you car truly has no pressure you can damage your engine.

This might be a stupid suggestion but its something to look at first, check your oil levels and see how you are doing. I know some people say to check the sensors but since your car is running rough when that light is on it may mean that the indicator light is true in its readings.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    the oil pressure switch . maybe but the rough idle scares me. you might take the oil filler cap and look to see if you have oil pressure

I AM IMPORT POWER
    Owner Since

Thanks
    If the car is idling rough, and very LOW rpm, your oil pressure will drop and the idiot light will come on.

Maybe it's not low oil pressure that is your issue, but a poorly running engine.

-Chris

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Import Power View Post
    If the car is idling rough, and very LOW rpm, your oil pressure will drop and the idiot light will come on.

Maybe it's not low oil pressure that is your issue, but a poorly running engine.

-Chris
    I was thinking this. Also check your oil pan for dents if you haven't already. It doesn't take much of a dent at all to choke off the oil supply.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    I was thinking this. Also check your oil pan for dents if you haven't already. It doesn't take much of a dent at all to choke off the oil supply.
    So, I got under the car just to check out the oil pan without jacking it up, and it seems to have one hell of a dent in it. I'm going to be doing some work on the clutch this weekend so I will drop the pan and hammer out the dent. Let's hope that's all it is.

At first I thought it was the rough idle that effected the low pressure, but the car only idles rough when there is low pressure. This is kinda one of those chicken or the egg dilemas.

Is there anything that I would need to drop the pan and put it back on besides the obvious things like oil, oil pan gasket, and rubber mallet to beat out the dent?
    Moving on to reality. Sold my 3KGT, and now I am selling off my parts.
    Click here to see my parts for sale

At 2k rpms where the oil pressure goes?

Add:
    1-Why is running rough? you have to fix that.
    2-What oil do you use.
    Last edited by fastnelson; 09-12-2010 at 06:34 PM.

9.37@153 1.39 60f AT LOW BOOST
    10.43@149 AT 13 PSI ON PURE PUMP GAS
    1047AWHP ON PUMP GAS
    1348+AWHP THE MOST POWERFUL, QUICKEST AND FASTEST STREET 3/S IN THE WORLD
    BEST MPH 162.51

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fastnelson View Post
    At 2k rpms where the oil pressure goes?

Add:
    1-Why is running rough? you have to fix that.
    2-What oil do you use.
    It goes back to normal. I have the stock oil pressure gauge so the inaccurate reading is just a few lines below the bottom of the two larger lines.

1. Only happens when I don't have oil pressure, and has only happened a couple of times.
    2. I don't recall what brand I put in it last time. It was my first time changing the oil since I just purchased the car a month ago. I know it was a synthetic, and it was 5W30.

The first thing I did was check my oil level, and it was fine; right at the top notch of the dipstick.

When I get to changing the oil I will take everyones advice and go with either a K&N or Purolator.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrob View Post
    It goes back to normal. I have the stock oil pressure gauge so the inaccurate reading is just a few lines below the bottom of the two larger lines.

1. Only happens when I don't have oil pressure, and has only happened a couple of times.
    2. I don't recall what brand I put in it last time. It was my first time changing the oil since I just purchased the car a month ago. I know it was a synthetic, and it was 5W30.

The first thing I did was check my oil level, and it was fine; right at the top notch of the dipstick.

When I get to changing the oil I will take everyones advice and go with either a K&N or Purolator.
    I would also make an investment in some Amsoil. I have found that it is the best stuff that STAYS clean in these TT motors.