Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PCV sytem thread

-BOOSTTD- verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) mh3kgt's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

PCV sytem thread

Just thought it'd be a good idea to have all PCV related questions in a thread for quick answers.

Ok, here's my issue: My vr4 has started smoking on decel directly after boost. I get no smoke during boost, but as soon as I let off and engine brake, I get a cloud of blue/white smoke, which goes away within a second or two. I also get a tiny bit if I free rev the motor at idle. I also have a fair amount of oil in my rear IC piping coming from the hose going from the rear head to the stock intake bubble, and out thru the turbo. Does this sound like a PCV problem? I also noticed lastnight that it appears my rear cam seals and oil cap are seeping as well as around the front valve cover gasket. The PCV valve rattles and stops air if I blow into it. Ideas? I'm hoping my turbo seals aren't shot already.....

Padawan garage troll Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Roybatty's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey, I don't feel too alone. This, exactly, is what mine is doing. I have turned down the boost and its not as bad. Also checked the PCV, it rattles, but other posts on subject suggest getting OEM PCV valves only; and that a lot do not work properly, not same for NA etc. Same issues with the bubble tracking oil from rear valve cover to rear turbo. I may have noticed this more because of gutted precats recently. Also, this seems to be boost related/crank case/blow by for sure; adding pressure to engine seals. Do you notice your oil smelling gassy? I just purchased the Greddy superlight universal catch can 15mm from PMP. I thought it may have something to do with my oil/water separator cheapo "catch can" from Lowes; but also noticed my barbed fittings were 1/4"; we should be using 3/8"minimum I have read from other posts. I plan to route from rear VC to bubble.

If the oil is in your Y-pipe its your turbo seals.

There is a lot of discussion on this in various threads. It will be nice to tie it together.
    Last edited by Roybatty; 12-13-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Added info
    91 AWD TT
    K&N FIPK, Precats gutted, Test Pipe, Blitz DSBC, Walbro 255, Vacuum reduction, SM3, MMCd, Krank Vents, 3SX Aluminum Crank Pulley, Aluminum 2PC DS, MAFT Pro (AFC mode atm).

To do list: Need to check electronic timing, install FP hotwire, install PS poly MM, RUACAs, Setrab oil cooler, Dejon Y-pipe, 3.5 GM Mas, FIC 650ccs & 13Ts.

Owner Since

Thanks
    I don't believe any oil is making it up to the TB, but it sure is in the hot side of the rear IC piping Gonna try to vent/delete the PCV to see if it helps my issue or not...

Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mh3kgt View Post
    I don't believe any oil is making it up to the TB, but it sure is in the hot side of the rear IC piping Gonna try to vent/delete the PCV to see if it helps my issue or not...
    At least your turbo seals are okay then

IIRC you need the PCV to keep vacuum at idle.

I have attached a thread I have subscribed to on subject, has some pretty good information:

http://www.3sgto.org/showthread.php?...-configuration

I just noticed you posted in that thread also.
    Last edited by Roybatty; 12-13-2010 at 07:23 PM.

Owner Since

Thanks
    I hope to god my turbo seals are still good I only have about 1k miles on them so far...this smoking problem is pissing me off tho, I have added a cheap ebay catch can inline from the rear head to intake bubble line, but haven't checked to see if it has helped at all with oil in rear turbo pipes. How is the engine burning the oil after boost if the turbo seals are still "good?"

Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    If you aren't seeing any oil in the y-pipe/throttle body, then you are not getting oil from your turbos.

When boosting near 1 bar, I will get oil from rear head through to bubble (then into rear turbo), I don't think the in line Husky air/oil separator is doing anything, and it may be restrictive (at boost).

My working theory is that my current set up bottlenecks the PCV system and pressure (when you let off gas), that is normally vented into intake, goes into the combustion chamber instead. I am hoping the Greddy catch can on the way will resolve this issue.

Would a BOV that is set too tight add to this issue?
    Last edited by Roybatty; 12-13-2010 at 09:19 PM.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since
    2004/5?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roybatty View Post
    Also checked the PCV, it rattles, but other posts on subject suggest getting OEM PCV valves only; and that a lot do not work properly, not same for NA etc.
    So are you trying to say that if the PCV valve rattles when shaken (uninstalled I assume), then it is bad? I took mine off to check it, and yes it rattles, but I thought that was because there's no pressure pushing the valve shut, so it's just kind of floating there?

I thought the test was to blow air through it; if it lets air through at high pressure, then it is bad. Or did I miss something?
    . 1992 VR4 - Java Black Pearl paint (2004 STI) with combo '92/'96/'99 custom front end .
    . Fittipaldi Force or 5Zigen FNO1-RC wheels . Cianci rear strut bar . K&N intake . DNP pre-turbo hard pipes . DNP hard intercooler pipe kit . Greddy Type RS BOV (recirc) . HKS EVC Black Limited boost controller . Vacuum reduction with all silicone pluming . EGR block off plates . Hot wired fuel pump . AEM AFPR @the rail with Robbeck adapter . Fuel rail loop . Tanabe knockoff down pipe . No cats . Single Turbo Flamer full 3" cat back . RPS Max pressure plate with street disk . Seattle92VR4 solid motor mounts . '99 Lifters . R1 Concepts slotted rotors . Supercar Engineering brake caliper stiffening bolts . HHH data logging . Red Line fluids .

Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom3BreaK View Post
    So are you trying to say that if the PCV valve rattles when shaken (uninstalled I assume), then it is bad? I took mine off to check it, and yes it rattles, but I thought that was because there's no pressure pushing the valve shut, so it's just kind of floating there?

I thought the test was to blow air through it; if it lets air through at high pressure, then it is bad. Or did I miss something?
    OP has it correct. PCV valve is a one way check valve. Should rattle and allow passage @ idle, but should close in boost/when pressure in intake AFAIK.

There will be Blood! verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) CoopKill's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I just replaced mine. The "if it rattled it's ok" statement is incorrect. Mine rattled freely, but when blowing through it it readily leaked.

I thought my VSS were bad due to smoking when left idling for extended periods. It has not done this since replacing the PCV. I idled around PIR for 45 minutes while viewing the Christmas lights event. I still need to clean my rear Turb pipes to confirm this, but as of now things look good.

The issue with non OEM PCV's is there are some sold that are backwards. I.E. they are closed when they should be open. (Shucks, Napa, Knecks) are a few I have read had issues...

Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 3 (100%) Unknownvr4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Krank vents ftw.
    -Benn
    Master Elite KIA Technician
    Past> Level 3 Chrysler & Bronze level Hyundai
    1994 3000GT VR4 - #175 Black/Black 99 VR4
    2013 135is - 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo - Hers
    Follow my build thread here

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast