Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rally?

There will be Blood! verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Not to mention what would happen to the transfer case and lsd. Probably a few other Drive components...

Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
    I can tell you right now, that there's absolutely no way a VR4 would even come close to competing with an Evo for rallying. It's not what it's designed to do. The VR-4 was designed to be a luxury yacht, not a nimble racing machine.
    Speak as an owner.
    “What's the use of a fine house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?”

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Kenny had a VR4 for a few years himself. There is no way a 3s is anywhere close to an EVO in the handling department.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Well I've never driven one hard in corners, do they have understeer? Or alot of it?

and a 95 too!
    Owner Since
    April 2005

Thanks
    Rhys Millen scrapped his GT-R (skyline) rally project, said the car just wasn't intended for that kind of use so I would think a 3S would be similar. A bit on the heavy side as we all know and as others have mentioned, it's a GT not a sports car or rally car.

As for understeer, really depends on your suspension setup. if you want to drive looking out your side windows like a rally meister, disconnect/remove your front sway bar and you'll definitely have way less understeer. Sliding looks cool, but we always said at rallyx's if someone said after a run "wow, that would have been a great picture" you knew the run was slow before you even checked the time!
    1995 3000GT VR-4, 1 of 6 identical
    DR-16Ts, ARC2, 550s, supra pump, GReddy FMIC, Tomei BOV, RPS max full face, 3SX fuel rail loop, AEM wideband boost & oil pressure in stock location, Stillen DP, gutted rear pre-cat, Tanabe Touring Medallion catback, HHH datalogger, active aero sim w/3SX splitter, vac redux, Tein S KYB GR-2, Maximal control arms, 3SX poly bushings, ss brake lines, IPS rotors carbotech pads, ABS delete HKS EVC 6, HKS DLI, Maximal powder coat, 5hp chrome twin turbo plate, BSLCDBC

1999 3000GT VR-4, 1 of 65 identical
    Jack-stand mod for now.

Quote Originally Posted by steve68 View Post
    it's probably fair to say that I've seen more cranks than a lot of other people on here.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    An Evo or a VR-4? Both have understeer, it's the nature of a street car's handling setup. The Evo just has significantly less understeer. There's a really nice interchange complex near my school (in Mexico, duh!) that's great for testing the balance of cars, and I can quite easily balance either car using the throttle mid-corner, and both seem to pull out of the corner as hard, except the Evo is doing it 10mph faster, lol. Both cars seem to invite you to push harder, even if they're already at their limit, which is inviting disaster if you don't know your own limits.

The Evo is kind of a pain in the ass on the highway, it's pretty twitchy. The VR-4 you can just relax and cruise along, the Evo requires you to constantly focus, or you'll look like a drunk person trying to drive with as much weaving as you'll wind up doing. The VR-4 excels at highway cruising, but it's still fun on the twisties. It really depends what you want from your car, I was willing to trade off the cushy traits of the VR-4 for the extra handling with the Evo.

Modded, either car be tuned more towards the final goal, but it makes no sense to start a rally car project with a 3S. I guess you could rally-x it, but I have no idea if anyone even makes a shock setup to give you the extra ground clearance you'd need.
    Last edited by DocWalt; 12-14-2010 at 04:36 PM.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Member verified
    Owner Since
    July 2005

Thanks
    Yeah an Evo would kill a VR4 in rallying, no question. The VR4 was designed as a GT car (duh), meant to be good in a lot of categories, but not great in any one category. At the time it handled good (but not the best), was fast (but not the fastest), and had a good ride on the long road trips, (but not the best).
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yeah the sway bar front/rear upgrade REALLY helped my car out. I point, it goes. Its that simple now. I suppose with the same upgrade a vr4 would be great in the twisties. (Not like it already isn't better than average.)

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I never had aftermarket swaybars on the VR-4, so I'm speaking bone stock for bone stock. The VR-4 is MUCH easier to drive, the extra displacement helps a lot.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Even the new evos dont have pick-up?