Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting front windshield wipers.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

Troubleshooting front windshield wipers.

Hey guys (and gals?),

Newest issue with my 3k is the front and rear windshield wipers stopped working, the windshield fluid pump is also inop.

I have tested the following:

Fuse, good but replaced with another 15amp in case my glasses were a little fogged and could not see the open fuse.

Wiper motor, connected direct lead to battery and tested as instructed on page 51-26 of the manual.

Tested the continuity of the wiper and washer switch of the column as per page 51-27 of the service manual.

no further troubleshooting is known, the next page goes on to the rear.

Using the service manual from 3sx, a Fluke multimeter 77III and my eyes.

Thank you in advanced.
    Fletch
    Last edited by Fletch; 03-12-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added rear and pump not working as well

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Test to see if you are getting power to the harness that plugs into the wiper motor.

If the wiper motor tests out good, and the continuity test of the switch comes out good then there might be a break in the wiring somewhere.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Owner Since

Thanks
    I put my multimeter to the fuse with the key in accessory and there was -1.2 volts there, so that seemed off to me. I will start her up to see for a change.

Good part if it is a spliced/grounded wire is it is a cheap fix, the bad is a long hunt for the damned thing....

Forum User Feedback Score 12 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The ground for the wiper motor is attached to the bottom right mounting bolt for the wiper motor. Make sure it's a good ground or your wipers in the front won't work. I've done that before when putting my engine bay back together after having it painted. I totally didn't tighten that bolt

Owner Since

Thanks
    Ok, here is a small update. Tested the #9 fuse and the top bounces between no power and 1.1vdc. The #8 has 11.68 vdc (obviously?) when in acc mode. I made a 10amp fused jumper to see if that was the only issue, it was not. Going out now to see if the bolt Hans@GZP suggested is snug and clean.

Another note is that I see the alarm system that the previous owner installed, that wiring, yeah I still hate shit hack job installers...

Owner Since

Thanks
    Bah, made a long test lead to test connectivity between the wiring at each end, only tested pin 5 and it was good.

4 nights ago I swapped out an alternator on my Jeep ZJ in a grocery store parking lot and it was 8 degree before that wind-chill crap. Wearing Nitrite gloves and mechanics gloves I still managed to get a touch of frostbite on each pinky knuckle.
    My hands are a little beat up at this time to continue to troubleshoot in this weather here near Chicago....
    Going to make a long lead to the lo pin on the motor and make the other end a fuse so that I can plug it into the #8 fuseable link in the car. When it snows, I will need to just plug it in. I will not have wiper fluid, but this is a band aid until I can use my hands properly again

Thank you all for the input, I will revisit this in a few days (God willing)

Owner Since

Thanks
    Small update. Have not been able to get upder the dash except to jerry rig a line from the battery to the wiper motor with a toggle switch below the radio. I would like to fix this once I have time, maybe tomorrow I will erk a few hours away from the family.

The other thing not mentioned above is that the rear wiper switch does not work as well. I am thinking something with the harness is up. I will look tomorrow.

Thank you all again for your input.

Also: anyone know where to get a new plate that the mirrors and dimmer switch are on the left of the steering wheel? Mine was too brittle and the last time I placed it back in it cracked to a few pieces...

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    The front and rear wiper are on the same circuit. If the fuse is good as you said, then you need to look into the relay.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Good to know. When I wake up tomorrow I will look into it more. Finding that relay and testing fuse and +12v at the panel.

Stress free wheel gap. Not Verified Feedback Score 0 YoshiBishi's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I had the same problem, you might want to check this as well.. The driver side wiper was caught under the passenger side wiper. This caused the front and rear wipers to stop working.

I didn't notice it and started to freak out too. I simply lifted the wiper blade, and set it above the other wiper blade so they don't get caught on each other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast