Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polished my own upper plenum

Real drivers don't use speed limits verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) Woz's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Polished my own upper plenum

I kept the original rough look with a polished finish =) didn't take me too long to do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    looks good , i have done only one of these and would not do it again, i had to purchase some fine double cut rotary files which i used with beeswax, some spindles, and different grit pads , buffing wheels and different rouge. i also found some buffing grit that you put on a buffing wheel which works like a sanding disk. it took a lot of time and years ago i worked polishing molds so i was not a beginner. with the time it takes next time i would pay someone to do it. the front rocker cover is a piece of cake compared to the intake ...just get them powder coated
    Last edited by mcshooter; 12-11-2010 at 11:09 PM.

Real drivers don't use speed limits verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) Woz's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    this actually didn't take me too long at all. i'm going to be doing my fuel rails, rear valve cover and water neck. i would do it again if someone paid and wanted it to look like mine. i don't want to pay someone to do it when i can haha. i bought the front but prolly could have done it myself. the rear is going to be even easier! did you use to do it for people?

Wut wut? verified Feedback Score 3 (100%) TT4ME's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I spent about 2 hours on mine. It looks great!

Can't believe people will pay a couple hundred to have it done.

Owner Since

Thanks
    i agree, i would do it 75 shipped for people if anyone wanted it done

1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    i agree, i would do it 75 shipped for people if anyone wanted it done
    I'm sorry but people pretty much expect a chrome look if they pay for having this done. Don't get me wrong yours looks better than it did stock but I wouldn't be happy if I paid 75 bucks for it. I did mine also but I sanded all of the rough edges and pits to almost a perfect shine before I put the polishing wheel to it. It took quite some time to do that. Polishing company's have big machines/polishers to save that time but still have a very shiny finish. That's worth 100 bucks to a lot of people. I'll never do another plenum but I have done fuel rails, motor mounts and some other stuff that I can run a sander on much easier.

Keep it up though, you will learn more tricks as you go along. I find it quite therapeutic sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Owner Since

Thanks
    whoops i didn't mean to put 75 haha, meant 45

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    gl is right if you do one to look like chrome you wont do another. 45 bucks wont even pay for what you need to do a perfect job.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    It's all the nooks and crannies in that damn plenum that make it the worst to do. You can get some of it with an electric sander and a die grinder with a cone sanding wheel but sooner or later you have to hand sand that bitch. The fuel rails are pretty easy because you can do almost all of the sanding with an electric sander.

If you got the time and a little bit to invest then search for tips and get some of the sanding stuff you will need. Then get some extra parts (Valve cover, Plenum and fuelrails) and go to town. Put them up for sale when you are done and see what you can get out of them.

Member verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) dbest671's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Trust me, if you polish a plenum to make it look like a mirror, get all the nooks and crannies, you will want more than $200 for all your time and effort. You probably won't get any more than $200 though.

I used to polish plenums and sell them, but then people were saying $200 + shipping was too much... so I stopped.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast